Prayers For Damar Hamlin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Jan 2, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know this isn't a Jets player so Mods feel free to move it, but I thought there's a lot of people like me who usually never look in the other threads and I wanted to alert them to this.

Damar Hamlin fell to the ground after making what appeared to be a fairly routine tackle on a Bengals player on MNF tonight. CPR was administered on the field, and an ambulance took him off finally. The game has been suspended until further notice - no word on when, or if, it will be resumed. I have no idea what happened, but my only guess is that he suffered an injury to his neck/head and it caused him to lose consciousness.

Here's a clip of the play:

Prayers for him and his family and teammates.

Pepsiguy5, JETFUEL1580, Borat and 5 others like this.
  2. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I've been following this story since shortly after it happened. It seems as if he suffered a heart attack. He was given CPR on the field before being rushed to the hospital in Cincinnati. Just jarring and terribly sad. Hard to grumble about the Jets when a tragic event like this occurs. Hope Damar pulls through.

#2 BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    papapump, ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Now we all know why Mike White did not get cleared and it was for the best

Cman68 and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That was terrifying, and I really hope he's alright. This is why player safety has to come first; winning is great, but there are more important things.

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Just a horrifying situation all around. I watched the game from start to finish and I've never seen anything quite like it. I really hope the young man is okay.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Him and Tee Higgins. The latter did nothing wrong and now has to live with this for the rest of his life. Can only imagine what he’s going through.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Heart attack? WOW! Hopefully he recovers, although he might not be able to ever play again. Still, his life is more important than football.

ouchy likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

One of the most brutal things I’ve sat through. As soon as they came back from commercial and showed Allen and Diggs in tears I was sick to my stomach. Can only hope and pray for the best.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Poeman likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Up to $1.6 million... and counting.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Over two million... and counting.

14. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I didn’t see the game but man. Nothing more to add than to say I hope to wake up in the morning to the news that the young man will be ok! Jet Nation prays for you, Damar!

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Now $3.1M.

16. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I usually don't watch games other than the Jets, but wanted to watch a good game for once.
    Seeing Hamlin stand up after the tackle, then his body just go limp & collapse was painful.
    According to a Dr friend, it seems the jolt to his chest, hit him at the wrong time in his heart cycle, causing cardiac arrest.
    Kudos to the first-responders on the scene, who saved his life, & hopefully got his heart pumping before any brain damage,
    It really puts this whole thing we do here in perspective.
    Happy Healthy New Year to y'all, & to all those you cherish!

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

In retrospect, he couldn't have had a heart attack in a better situation. He could have been driving or doing something that passing out might have been a death sentence. He was very fortunate to get immediate top notch care until he got to the hospital. That he is still with us this morning is both a blessing and a testament to the quick reaction of the 1st responders. I said several prayers for the young man. I hope he can find another way to enjoy his life other than the gridiron.

Pepsiguy5, papapump, Borat and 6 others like this.
  18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Sure but he got a heart attack after a football play. I am sure they will discuss player safety and viciousness of the game these days. The human body is not capable of sustaining these hits, the head trauma/concussions is one thing and this is another. I don't know what they can do but I simply won't want my kids playing football

NYJetsO12 and JetFanInNE like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The biggest difference between the NFL of the '60's and the NFL of today is player size, musculature and conditioning. Players have gotten bigger and harder on the outside but they're still mostly as vulnerable to injury. The game is played at a faster speed and with greater restrictions on permissible actions. The restrictions somewhat offset the increase in player size and speed to create a livable environment for the players.

It was not so long ago that several of the top QB's got together to discuss the situation on the field in relation to the possibility that someone was likely to die on the field. That was in 2012 or so and we began to see rules changes in rapid motion to offset some of the vulnerabilities after that. When Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers and Drew Brees got together to talk about the issue the NFL had to listen.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Not sure where people are getting this, but I haven't seen anything about a heart attack. He took a traumatic blow to his chest... it's much the same as taking a blow to the head. The heart as well as the brain, aren't encased in bubble-wrap. They get jarred, & jerked violently after a blow. In a way, he had a concussion of his heart, which stunned the heart to stop beating, much the same as a blow to the head, knocks people out.
    From what my Dr friend said, what happened to Hamlin, happens to people in car accidents. The abrupt stop violently forces the heart forward.