Post Draft Thoughts....Speedy Passrusher Needed...Please Fax Resumes'

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, May 11, 2014.

1. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

After all is said & done, a lot of needs were addressed by Jets except one & that one is how were really gonna slow down & stay in games against these high-octane passing QB's & teams. That's addressing the pass-rusher position. After all 500 of these draft picks, where is the pass-rusher ? With all the kudos that Rex is given for jis defensive genius, he seems to miss the boat on the importance of a OLB pass-rusher. Seattle & Pete Carroll have not just one edge rusher, but they utilize 2 speed edge rushers every play...with a rotation. Good pass rush helps pass coverage. Pressure on QB's helps create turnovers.

The positive is that's it's one of the few positions left to address, so that's progress. Now Jets have to focus on bringing in a Pass-Rusher/edge-rusher via trade/F.A. or other team cuts. You can have 20 DB's in pass coverage, but if you give a top-flight NFL QB too much time...there gonna lite u up....bottom line. Otherwise Jets are gonna have same results as last year.

NCJetsfan and Turbocharged23 like this.
  2. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

I thought Barnes did a pretty good job blazing off the edge for us til he got hurt. Should be even better now that our D-Line has gotten comfortable and is more experienced. But yes it's still very much a position of need. Thought we could take Michael Sam at the back end, he's actually a decent pass rusher.

Barcs likes this.
  3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

You didn't just say that...

NCJetsfan and joe like this.
  4. NYJets17

I forgot he didn't play against and beat pretty good tackles last year, you're right, DPOY isnt worth a 7th

5. Run_N_gun10

With the pressure the D-Line creates, coupled with 2 speedy edge-rushers, Jets would have a really fearsome passrush. IMO...2 edge passrushers are better than 1. Barnes did do a decent job, but after he got hurt...what happened. I'm personally tired of seein slow Calvin Pace & even slowerrr #50 Garrett McIntyre. I'm tired of seeing Jets doing an all-out blitz & nobody gets to the QB ????? Duh !!!! Ur not gonna beat Tom Brady like that....lol.

6. NYJets17

Absolutely, its terrible. We consistently ignore this need year after year.

Run_N_gun10 likes this.
  7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Trevor Reilly may not excel anywhere as far as brute strength or speed goes but he has a motor that'll get him involved in every play if he makes this ballclub. He has some moves to bypass a tackle.

8. Run_N_gun10

Don't get me wrong, I like the pick, but a speedy more talented edge-rusher. Reilly is definitely an asset, but U see where he was drafted...a 7th rounder. I would've liked to have seen a more talented speed-rusher in lets say...maybe the 4th round ???

9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I question if there was one for a 3-4 team and if the final guy who coulda been this was Attoachu, who went 1 after Amaro.

I mean Prince Shembo went in round 4 for Atlanta and he is being dubbed as their "pass rusher acquisition" of this draft and I have seen plenty of his games and he's more of a steady run container but not someone with explosive moves.

Run_N_gun10 likes this.
  10. Run_N_gun10

I totally agree, Edge rushers were in short supply in this years draft...With that in mind....u still have to somehow try to get 2 more to add to present roster by opening day !!!

11. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

I just died. Did you mean this as a pun?

Ralebird and nyjetsmets89 like this.
  12. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

13. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Yeah we've needed one for years now at least we actually drafted 2 late this year. We had so many needs it would've been impossible to fill every one. Pace/Barnes on one side and Coples on the other should do for next year.

14. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

IK Enemkpali is who the team drafted for that role. Yes, may not be a day 1 starter but the first 3 picks the team made (at least in terms of need/ fit-for-scheme/ potential value) were better than any Rush OLB we could have taken at those spots. I think folks may be very surprised and pleased with this guy-- I'd never heard of him and have been digging around reading up on him. Small school but LA tech plays a few SEC teams every season so there is legit competition film to dissect on this guy. 4.8 40 yard dash is not blazing but it's not bad for a 260 lb dude-- faster than plenty of guys who get double -digit sacks and faster than at least 2 of our OLBs on our team now. Addressing a critical piece to really getting this Defense to the elite level on the cheap--- hopefully it panned out. With the other holes this team had, I'm very comfortable not having spent a pick in the 1st 3 rounds on DE/OLB since no obnoxious value situation fell into our laps.

15. milo

milo Well-Known Member

At this point I think it's pretty safe to say that Rex just doesn't prioritize edge rushers in his system. Rather than going around the pocket so that guys like Brady can simply step up and torch us, he'd rather concentrate on collapsing it from the center.

It seems to go against conventional wisdom about how to put together a defense, but that's one thing Rex has never been accused of being, and it's hard to argue the results.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  16. NYJets17

No I didnt lol

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

That's hilarious!

Honestly I wouldn't want Sam, just because of the media zoo that will follow him. I mean all I've been hearing lately is interviews with the rams concerning this. After all these years, the media STILL doesn't get it. The way to show tolerance is to show that we don't care about his sexual preference, not to put it on parade and act like he's so different from everyone else. Treat it like a normal event. I don't care what race, color, creed, hair color you have, can you play football? The media always focuses on race and other petty things like sexual preference. It gets old. They are asking the coach and GM questions as if the decision was different from any other football decision.

chris5533 likes this.
  18. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

The Jets couldn't address every need as cleanly as we all would have liked in the draft, we knew that going in.

Theres a possibility IK amounts to something and theres a very good possibility that Reilly becomes Paces replacement as the SAM linebacker.

as for a blue chip pure rushing talent? well for now we hope Coples gets the job done and branes spells him well. its not the worse thing in the world, an advantage in the D-line should help matters.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

can you point out to me the can't miss pass rushing prospects we passed on in the 4th round or later that would have been that much better than the players we already have?

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Edge rushers were NOT in short supply in this draft. This was one of the deepest and best drafts for edge rushers ever. There are more collegiate teams playing a 3-4 D alignment now than ever before, so the Jets and other NFL teams who use the 3-4 don't have to worry so much about projecting/transitioning players from 4-3 DEs to 3-4 OLBs. Check out my thread in the draft forum on OLB prospects. There were a lot. The Jets could have had Attaochu. I would much rather have him than Amaro. I think the simple truth is that Rex doesn't value OLBs. He's moronic that way. That's why I despise him and think the Jets will never win anything as long as he's the HC. Perhaps in the 2015 or 2016 draft Idzik will finally draft a speedy edge rusher in spite of what Rex thinks, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on it.

Run_N_gun10 likes this.