Portis defends Mike Vick

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BIG COUNTRY, May 22, 2007.

1. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Thought some of you would get a kick out of this one:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6819186?MSNHPHMA

Portis defends Vick, dog fighting
    Story Tools:
    Print Email Blog This
    FOXSports.com
    Posted: 29 minutes ago

SMITHFIELD, Va. (AP) - Authorities had nothing new to report Monday in the Michael Vick dog fighting investigation, but Clinton Portis gave the saga a new wrinkle.

FOX Bite
    Videos

Portis defends Vick
    Michael Vick hosting dog fights at his home doesn't bother Clinton Portis, who says, "if that's what he wants to do, then do it."

The Washington Redskins running back defended Vick during an interview with a Virginia television station.
    BlogJam ...
    While news on the Michael Vick dog fighting investigation was slow Monday, Clinton Portis spiced things up by defending the Atlanta quarterback. Did Portis cross the line or is he right? Here's your chance to voice your opinion.

"It's his property," Portis told WAVY TV 10 in Virginia. "It's his dog. If that's what he wants to do, do it."

When reminded that dog fighting is a felony in Virginia, Portis was not deterred.

"It can't be too bad of a crime," Portis said. "There's lots of stuff that's (a crime). There's killers on the loose...You want to hunt down Michael Vick over fighting some dogs, you know, I think people should mind their business."

The case began April 25 when police conducting a drug investigation raided the house Vick owned in rural Surry County and found dozens of dogs. They also found items associated with dog fighting, including a "pry bar" used to pry apart a dog's jaws.

Portis added during his comments that he believes the problem goes well beyond Vick's backyard.

"It's prevalent in life...I know a lot of back roads that got some dog fighting, if you want to go see it," he said. But they're not bothering (anybody)...I'm sure some police got dogs and fight them, some judges got dogs and everything else."

Authorities investigating evidence that suggested a home owned by the Falcons quarterback was involved in a dog fighting operation met to compare information on Monday.

"At this time, the investigation continues. We have no further comment," said a statement distributed to reporters after the nearly 2-hour meeting said.

The meeting at the Surry County government office involved Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald Poindexter, Sheriff Harold Brown, the county's animal control officer, two special agents from the Virginia State Police and an investigator with the U.S. Department of Agriculture also representing the U.S. Office of the Inspector General.

No charges have been filed in the case, but Poindexter last week told The Associated Press as many as six to 10 people could be involved.

Vick is a registered dog breeder.

He has blamed relatives for taking advantage of his generosity and insisted he's rarely at the house ? even though he's the owner.

The Daily Press of Newport News has reported Vick has since sold the home.

Poindexter said the county seized some 60 dogs from the house. Several dogs had old scars, but mostly the dogs appeared to be well-cared for, he said.

Vick has said he let a cousin, Davon Boddie, live at the house, and that he didn't know a large kennel on the property could be involved in a criminal activity.

Vick, the former Virginia Tech quarterback, in recent weeks has been sternly warned against misbehavior by Falcons owner Arthur Blank, and summoned to New York to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

A California congressman has joined the cause against Vick on Friday, firing off a letter that urged Goodell to "act swiftly and forcefully" if the quarterback was involved in dog fighting on his former property.

2. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

Some of these athletes don't have a friggin clue sometimes..

3. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

This is pure "Da U" logic. Great stuff.

4. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

absolutely moronic. I heard this on Mike and Mike this morning. I wonder how long it takes before he apologizes.

To bad the league can't suspend you for being an absolute fucktard.

5. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Portis actually makes a good point. Vick's the dumbass for getting caught (or fucktard:rofl:). Dog fighting is normal where he comes from, and he sees how Vick could not feel like he had done much wrong besides getting caught for "something illegal". Makes sense to me.

6. jaychamp

jaychamp New Member

My sarcasm meter isn't working so I hope you're kidding.

Doing something illegal that only affects yourself is a lot different than something illegal that involves hurting others or animal cruelty. What if one of those dogs got loose?

7. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

agree....Portis would be better off keeping his mouth shut, and if anything issue an apology for his misguided words, or whatever the fuck he wants to call it...

fucktard...great word!:lol:

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That whole article is gold.

"It's prevalent in life...I know a lot of back roads that got some dog fighting, if you want to go see it," he said. But they're not bothering (anybody)...I'm sure some police got dogs and fight them, some judges got dogs and everything else."

#8 abyzmul, May 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What I get out of that article is that Portis is a truthteller. Not a particularly bright one it would seem but an honest one.

5 to 1 there are a bunch of fairly highly publicized arrests at dog-fighting events over the next few months. Then it'll quiet down again. It'll take a major crusade by some organization (and PETA won't be the one) to largely eliminate dog-fighting in the south. That's a region of the country where old traditions die hard.

Portis issued a full apology shortly after midnight last night through the Redskins. He denied taking part in or condoning dog-fighting.

10. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

A couple of retards, clueless.

Samuels was there too, giggling like a little kid.

Just plain moronic comments. Ignorant.

11. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

un freakin believable..........and to think..these thugs make millions....

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Oh, I have no doubt he's being truthful. I'm not talking so muhc about dogfighting as I am about the general mindset of legal issues go, though. It makes me wonder how many hush-hush cover-ups went on while Tagliaboob was holding down the fort. Goodell seems more concerned with cleaning up the league than protecting it's pristine image.