Poll To Summarize The Latest "Jetsaster"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, May 22, 2019.

?

Regarding the firing of Macc and making Gase Acting GM:

1. It was a good move to fire Macc

32.5%
  2. It was a bad move to fire Macc

3.6%
  3. It was a good move to fire Macc, but the timing was bad

43.4%
  4. It was a good move to fire Macc, regardless of timing, but not making Gase AGM

4.8%
  5. It was a bad move to make Gase Acting GM no matter what.

15.7%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We have several thread discussing various aspects of the firing of Macc and the anointing of Adam Gase as Czar...I mean acting GM, so at the risk of creating yet one more thread, I figured I'd post a poll to see if we could summarize what people here felt. I'm not sure this can cover all POVs but I'll try.

NYJetsO12, boozer32 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you can edit, I suggest adding another option: It was a good move to fire Mac, regardless of timing, and making Gase interim GM is perfectly acceptable.

Jets_Grinch and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

A bad GM got fired. Get over it.

sec314 and FJF like this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Firing Mac was a good move. Not sure I even care too much about the timing. The wrong decision was made back in January when Mac was allowed to conduct the coach search and then his choice of Adam Gase was signed off on. It should have been a clean start with a new GM and a different coach coming in.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It was a good move to fire mac but the timing makes it look awkward.

6. ColoradoContrails

I don't seem to be able to edit, but if the mods want to add your choice, I'm for it.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I voted it was a good move but the timing was bad. If we land Douglas then I'll be less concerned about the timing.

NCJetsfan and Aero like this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

We took our medicine (again) regarding the laughingstock/media grilling. I think we're all used to it by now

Now it's time to bring in Joe Douglas.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Good move to fire Mac. I am just torn because with out him who knows. Maybe we never land Darnold who I think has a bright future. If we get a solid franchise QB for the next 10 plus years the Mac era would be well worth it.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Timing was bad as he should've left with Bowles, but I am glad hes gone and I could care less at this stage.

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yes, if the [timing was bad] argument was about not firing Mac earlier, I'd agree. Johnson obviously didn't.

So - my question. If not now, when? After he has fucked up another season?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm onboard with Macc firing. My problem is they waited too long and let him pick the draft.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No worries..

Just stick to your first thought that it was a good move to fire Mac

Mac had NO IDEA he was getting Sam Darnold..all he did was move up to the 3 spot

The Mac tenure was replete with poor drafts, questionable FA signings, lack of talent evaluation, and preference to sign on Defensive players

Agree we prob have a 10 year FQB but as Hermerdinger told Mac after SD fell to us "you can pull that lucky horseshoe outa your ass"

14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I am not upset Mac got fired although the timing was weird. He should have been canned with Bowles but whatever. I am more concerned with who they bring in as the next GM. Building the team around Darnold is what's most important and the new guy better be able to do that.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I would’ve voted for this option.

Firing a Mac is fine, the time is embarrassingly bad and Gase should not be the GM for even one second.

16. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

I voted it was a good move to fire Mac and this is why I did...…….

I kinda like the idea of letting the inmates run the asylum. Look how well letting the "smart guys" run the jets for the past decade faired. I don't think Christopher Johnson is going to let Crazy Eyes make any MAJOR moves (trading Leo, Bell ect.) but will let him make a few adjustments to the team/organization as he sees fit for a few weeks until they get a real GM on board.

I find this whole "power struggle" to be a bit amusing because I'm pretty sure the second most important voice in the Jets organization for the next few years will be Sam Darnold.

If Sam is unhappy with how things are going after this season I think Christopher Johnson would have to take that into consideration....

Just my two cents.

Hopefully Crazy Eyes leads us to a 11-5 record and the AFC East title this year so we can all just look back at this mess and laugh....

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Maybe a bad GM just got fired for making bad decisions. Maybe the straw that broke the camels back was the draft. That picture of Mac alone in the war room said it all. If that’s the case, then the time was right. I would have preferred it to have happened with Bowles, but maybe there were unknown reasons that it couldn’t.

We may never get the full story. Thankfully, we got the most important part though: Mac is gone.

18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

There are many questions and take on why? Everyone jumped on the Jets for it. It's a power struggle etc. Lets look at a few things.

1. Macc should've been fired in January with Bowles. Many would agree to that. Few questions for me.
    A. Bowles: Should've been let go. Wasn't good. Didn't have a good relationship with Macc. I question if he was cut at the knees by Macc and tried but since he wasn't given what he wanted he couldn't do anything with it. Maybe Bowles is problems were more Macc's.
    B. Johnson should've been in the offices last offseason and during this season to see Mac's ineffectiveness. Why wasn't he and did Gase say something to have him come in?

2. Johnson finally saw something and got rid of Mac. Rather than go through the year of backstabbing the front office and coach not getting along and more drama playing out in the media he thought it was best to fire Mac and move on.
    A. Timing is bad. Why let him do free agency, draft etc? Maybe Johnson thought the problem was Bowles and it wasn't Mac. Maybe after seeing Gase and Mac interact he saw the same thing happening and realized the problem was Mac too. Figured to cut bait so he didn't have to live with the same issues all over again. Too late and it's a shame he didn't see it earlier but better late than never.

3. Gase's moves: Many are up in arms about his moves but really are any of them going to make or break the team.
    A. Darron Lee trade: It was rumored all offseason. Mac wanted more. Gase figured let me get what I can and move on from him. No drama on other side be good for everyone.
    B. Gase cuts Legett for a punter Darr: Many were surprised by this move including me. Legett looked ok last year and would compete for the third tight end position. Right or wrong Gase felt moving on from him was in the best interest. Me I would've brought him to camp and see how it played out. That being said Legett didn't fit his system or didn't click with Gase. Like Lee he felt it was best to move on now. Not an earth shattering move.
    C. Gase fire a scout. The scouting department is going to change once a new GM comes in. For whatever reason Gase wanted to let go of this guy. Many have said he is a respected scout who has a good eye for talent. That could be true but I didn't see anything from the last few drafts that warrant us from keeping a scout.

Overall the situation has not been good but in the grand scheme nothing has been earth shattering that we are the dumpster fire everyone is saying. If we are losing in September-December and similar things are happening then we should worry. It's the end of May. Take a deep breath. Lets hope it hasn't effected the players. Let hope Gase is a good coach and we can get 8-10 wins compete for a playoff spot and Darnold continues to develop.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Firing MacCagnan was a good move, and Gase should be given total control, and 2 years to win a SB ring.

Here's why. We don't have time to 'do it the right way'. We should go all in. We have 2 prime years with Sam on his rookie deal. The time is NOW. AFCCG this year (minimum). AFCCG and SB ring next year.

No one knows the type of players Gase needs to succeed in Gase's offense better than Gase. Let him buy the groceries (2 drafts). Gase and Gregg Williams. Our dynamic duo.

If Gase drafts a kicker in the first round, then fire him, hire a GM, and promote Gregg Williams to HC (fall back).

Let's put all our eggs in one basket. Get er done NOW so to speak. I don't wanna spend the next 2 years house breaking a new GM.

I want a RING. Don't care about a 'traditional org'. Bob Kraft giving Belichick (a failed HC) total control was laughed at (before Belichick won 5 rings). Could Gase be OUR Belichick? We already have our Tom Brady.

Lets ROLL!!!

20. ColoradoContrails

I see your point, even if I Don't fully agree. I would point out that if they get a good GM in here now (meaning withing a couple of weeks), and by "good" I mean someone who knows how to do the job AND can work closely and cooperate with Gase, then it would be much better to have a guy dedicated to the job than having Gase try to do two really hard jobs at the same time.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.