Poll: Should the Jets draft Geno Smith?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by laxin, Mar 30, 2013.

?

Should the Jets draft Geno Smith?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2013.
  1. Yes

36.2%
  2. No

63.8%
  1. laxin

laxin Active Member

There's a chance that Geno Smith, the best QB prospect in this draft, could be there at 9. I would say its unlikely, but there's a possibility. In your opinion, would you want the Jets to try and draft our franchise QB?

From what I've seen, there are few opinions on the subject-

a) Yes, I want the Jets to draft him as their hopeful franchise QB.
    b) Yes, I would want the Jets to draft him, but only if they let a veteran plays initially which can allow him to develop.
    c) No, he's a reach.
    d) No, I still believe in Sanchez.
    e) No, I dont have faith in the organization to groom and develop a QB properly.

So what are your opinions on the matter?

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Absolutely not...end of story.

I think it's a moot point, he will already be gone.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Praying to God, the Jaguars are not sold on Gabbert and they draft Geno Smith

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think he'll be gone also, but its a possibility he's still there.

I respect your opinion, so Im just wondering what your problem is with him...? Im assuming you dont think he's of value there and that you dont like him as a prospect?

He's no Andrew Luck, and maybe not even Ryan Tannehill, but he has potential to be a franchise QB.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

draft him.marty will know what to do with him

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He looks like a godsend for a flailing offense as it moves from formlessness to the WCO.

I think there's a good chance he's gone by the 9. If not he'll certainly be among the Jets best options on the pick.

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I don't hate Smith, I just believe the Jets are going to address other needs...probably OLB. Smith isn't a top flight QB, I'd rather take a chance on EJ Man. in Rd 2 than Smith in Rd 1.

I think the front office isn't looking for a "franchise QB" in 2013. Sanchez won't be the answer, but Idzik has time to get their franchise QB by 2014.

There are too many other glaring holes on our roster, we need to fix right now.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

No thanks. Draft one next year.

9. 101GangGreen101

Ryan Tannehill - I'm not sold on by any means either. If he's not a better prospect than Tannehill, then I don't see a reason to draft him. That said, he's an option, but I would rather wait and build this football team as we have other needs. If we can find a trade partner at this stage it's better to trade down.

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Everyone wants to wait until 2014 yet we dont know who's going to be there and how good they'll be

If Geno is there you take him and develop him into a franchise QB, he has all the tools

11. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

IF he's there, you take him. He's the only one in the draft that I would pick at #9 for QB.

12. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Okay, fair enough. I completely understand that. I like Manuel in the 2nd as well, but he is more of a "project". With the right coaching he could be great, but at the same time he could be a bust.

Only problem with passing on Geno Smith, is that you have to say to yourself "can I pass on a QB that could develop into a franchise QB in order to simply have a shot at a better prospect next year?" Right now, only players I see that can come out and be better prospects are Bridgewater and Manziel, and even with Manziel there's question marks on if his play can translate to the NFL. In order to draft them, you are probably going to have to be in the top 3. I just dont know if I can pass on a very good prospect for a chance at a great one...

As you said though, there are many other glaring holes on the team. If we hypothetically drafted Geno, I would much rather not send him into the fire year 1. Ideally, he could sit on the bench and develop for the majority of the season or the entire season, not only so he can develop properly, but also so the offense around him can develop and he's not thrown into a terrible situation.

Edit: with the Bills signing Kolb, Id probably mark them off the list for possible Geno Smith suitors. At this point the Raiders and Cards are the biggest players, and they very well could end up with Flynn and Palmer respectively. Nassib in the 2nd as a developmental pick would make sense for the Bills.

#13 laxin, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  14. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think Tannehill was/is much better than given credit for. He did some things as well as Luck, if not better, coming out of college.

15. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I hope he's taken beforehand because if he's available and the Jets pass over him, a lot of fans will be pissed and you'll probably hear a lot of boos. But I bet you'd hear some boos if they drafted him too.

16. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Jesus...Finally someone using their brain.

You cannot bank on 2014. Everyone wants to jump on 2 underclassman, and there is NO guarantee either will come out. Jets can't look into a crystal ball and see where they will be drafting in 2014, and anything can happen during the season (injuries, regression etc).

If a guy like Smith falls to the Jets, they need to pull the trigger. Like I just said on the draft board, I'm not 100% on Smith. His bowl game really made me iffy on him playing in the varied conditions of Metlife. However, he does have the body of work, and reports said Morty liked what he saw at his pro day.

Now that Grimes is gone, Tampa may just be ready to pull the trigger on the 13th pick for Revis. If the Jets have both 9 and 13, and Smith is there, I feel like it's going to happen.

If that is the case, they have the opportunity to build the offense (finally) from the ground up. 9- Smith, 13- Austin/Patterson, 39- Cooper/Warford, 72- Escobar/Reed/Kelce.

Kill away!

17. 101GangGreen101

The only thing Tannehill may of been better at was getting the football down the field, but that's it. Throwing on the run, Luck is amazing at - avoiding sacks and pressure - gotta give that to Luck also. By all means if you know of any examples let me know, but watching Luck was like watching Elway with more accuracy.

If the FO questions drafting Geno Smith in anyway, they should not draft him. That's not how you spend on a pick on a future QB. All questions need to be laid to rest and you should know that's the man that can do the job.

18. JETS2013

JETS2013 Banned

Fuck it, draft his ass, what's the worst that can happen? Really, what's the worse case scenario?

19. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Lets wait for the new head coach to come in before we draft the franchise QB.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

He was great at throwing on the run and pushing the ball outside the hashes... Arm strength might be slightly better than Luck. His pocket presence and mobility were also very good. Point is, he was a better prospect than most perceived as and just because Geno might be a slightly less prospect, it doesnt mean that as a pro he can not develop into an even better QB.