Player safety.... and reality

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by alleycat9, Sep 9, 2016.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/panthe...n-not-protected-like-other-qbs-130913900.html

The NFL talks ALOT about player safety, about taking the head out of the game, about changing the way we play the game. They have us teaching it at the youth levels, they are throwing guys out at the college level for blows to the head and the NFL referees just didn't seem to care last night.

3 direct head shots, 1 called and that nullified by a intentional grounding call. If player safety were really important to the rules makers a player safety penalty would over rule a grounding call. but no that's not the way it is.

I can understand missing one, but that's one of the refs sole job is to make sure that nothing happens back behind the los, especially to the qb. Is it a matter of it being cam newton so they don't care as much? ehh maybe, I know that tom brady would have pitched a fucking fit and gotten those calls.

The bottom line is that if the game keeps being played that way it wont exist in 20 years. Elite athletes are going to find something else to do. And if the NFL is going to talk about player safety they need to really be about player safety.

2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Yeah lots of blows to the head last night. But it does happen quick. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now and see how the season plays out. If this is a on going thing for QBs who are not Tom Brady or Arron Rodgers......and calls are simply not called because they are not Superstars then there will be a issue

alleycat9 likes this.
  3. alleycat9

I am interested in what the NFL will do for fines for the hits, but fining guys doesn't seem to have the same effect as penalizing them on the field.

Its also interesting that nobody seemed to care that newton was out there looking like he did without ever being checked.

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

It will be flag football before too long. Enjoy football the way it was meant to be played while you can.

5. alleycat9

nobody is going to play it if its is deemed unsafe and the league continues to not give a flying fuck about its players.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

People still smoke and they know that's unsafe. Why should football be any different?

alleycat9, Royal Tee and Burnz like this.
  7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Play for ~ 3 years and set yourself for life (with proper $$ management) vs. low chance of permanent head injury... Guaranteed >99% of players will opt to play.

NFL just needs to institute a mandatory iron-clad legal disclaimer: I, ..... , understand the risks of injury and chose to continue participating and thus waive my right to sue.
    Problem solved.