Player Interviews/Meetings

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Lon Chaney, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I figured we can start a thread on this topic since the EAST-WEST Shrine Game is this week.

http://walterfootball.com/eastwest2014interviews5.php

In the sleepers thread, I posted about Allen Hurns WR - Miami as a possible 5th-6th round pick.

2. Lon Chaney

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

From the same site, other interviewees:

Monday West Team: Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Justin Ellis, Minnesota safety Brock Vereen, Michigan State linebacker Max Bullough, BYU safety Daniel Sorensen and UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh.

Monday East Team: Cornell quarterback Jeff Mathews, Coastal Carolina wide receiver Matt Hazel, Tennessee center James Stone, Lindenwood cornerback Pierre Desir and Bloomsburg offensive tackle Matt Feiler.

Tuesday West Team: Notre Dame linebacker Prince Shembo, Indiana tight end Ted Bolser, Wisconsin guard Ryan Groy, Pitt State wide receiver John Brown, San Jose State cornerback Bene Benwikere, Oregon State cornerback Rashaad Reynolds and Oklahoma guard Gabe Ikard.

Tuesday East Team: None listed

Wednesday East Team: Feiler et al

Wednesday West Team: Dakota Starr et al

#3 NCJetsfan, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  4. NCJetsfan

5. NCJetsfan

Tajh Boyd, QB Clemson

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Outstanding. A much better Geno Smith. If he's there in the second I'd pounce.

_

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im going to disagree. I dont think he's a better prospect than Geno was. I think your distaste for Geno is really getting in the way here.

8. Lon Chaney

From all the practices I watched the past few days, Boyd was extremely underwhelming.

His release point was all over the place, causing erratic throws all over the field. He was constantly dropping arm slot and almost chucking the ball side-arm yesterday. It's hard to ignore his body of work at Clemson, but his mechanics need a lot of refining.

I think the second is too high for him.

Personally, I don't like him as a fit for the Jets. I wouldn't look at him as a prospect until the third round.

9. JStokes

Not true, I've been watching Boyd for 2 years now and I liked him before Geno was even ever on our radar--and I watched Geno a lot at WVU. Boyd destroyed my Orangmen this year--I just think he has something about him that makes it look effortless. He just looks so accurate when he starts slinging the ball all over the place and he's 10X the runner Geno is.

JMHO, I could be totally wrong about him but I think he's a better all-around QB than Geno. He's not very tall, but he is physically tough.

But I get the disagreement.

_

10. JStokes

Can't disagree with you as I haven't seen any of the practices. Good insight tho, thanks. Be interested to see how he looks at the combine.

_

11. Lon Chaney

I was high on Boyd coming into this season.

I watched a bunch of Clemson's games live but I'm going to watch the film on Boyd in the coming weeks.

He's had some unbelievable talent to work with during his time at Clemson. How much of his stats come from playing in a modified spread with some college football's most dynamic receivers (Watkins and Hopkins -- throw in Ellington also)?

12. Doink Bell

Doink Bell Banned

Uhh..

I suppose we could draft Boyd just so we can watch him battle Geno in TC, to see who is the bigger piece of crap.

Enough shitty system quarterbacks.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

"Vagh" Boyd is overrated.. big numbers against terrible teams, crumbles against the good teams. Aaron Murray has little bit of that as well, but not as much.

Geno Smith was a WAY better prospect last year than Boyd is this year. I wouldn't take Boyd until the 4th round. Guy had the best college OC in the game and beasts for WRs over the years and still under-achieved.

14. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Boyd is absolutely terrible. Never lived up to expectations at Clemson. I know WVU fans feel that Bill Stewart pulling Boyd's scholorship to get Geno was the best thing he did at WVU. He's not even in the top 10 of this quaterback class.

I saw that the jets also met with Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garappolo. People seem to be really high on him.

15. I don't think how Boyd reacts when his protection breaks down. That's a bad sign. IMO Geno was the superior prospect.

16. NCJetsfan

Boyd is NOT terrible. That's just ridiculous.

17. NCJetsfan

Not true at all. Has he had some bad games against great teams? Yes, as most QBs have, but he's also had some very good games against great teams.

Aaron Murray isn't half the prospect that Boyd is. Murray is a big time choker, throws a ton of picks, and doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I haven't read the whole thread but I just saw Bloomsburg in the first line. They're a perennial powerhouse D2 program in that PA league with Kutztown and West Chester that produce a lot of very good pros. John Mobley, Lee Woodall, Andre Reed (of course) just to name a few off the top of my head. Jahri Evans on the Saints is a Bloomsburg grad. A good family friend who passed way too young was a D2 All American O Lineman in the mid 80's and had a tryout with the Jets. Sorry for the rant but that school and league produces some good pros so I'm curious about that Feiler kid.

19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Obviously.. he was a BCS caliber QB so you're correct he is not terrible so I'll clarify.. he would be terrible as a New York Jet.

20. JStokes

This is funny. Because Geno had no one to throw to in college.

_