Playcalling Before Halftime

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreyhoundJet, Dec 11, 2012.

1. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

What may be getting overlooked because we ended up winning and stayed in the playoff race (or maybe I'm the only one who cares) is the ridiculously conservative playcalling before half time. We had the ball with around 1:45 left and 3 timeouts from our own 20 in a close game and didn't even attempt to move the ball down the field and get points.

I understand that Rex has little confidence in Sanchez (not unjustified), but we essentially gave the Jags a free chance at a field goal by employing the 3 runs and a punt plan. Sanchez has his issues, but he is capable of leading the team down the field to at least try for a field goal in that situation. At least you have to give him a shot.

I'm not sure if it comes down to Rex's lack of trust in Sanchez or his overwhelming trust in his defense, but this kind of move will come back to bite him.

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

wasnt there a point where Sanchez was good at 2min offense? I HATE seeing the JETS not take chances with timeouts and a lot of time left on the clock before the half. Just let the offense go for once.

3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Sanchez did little in the first half that would inspire Rex to turn him loose with 2 minutes left. Best to take your medicine only down by 6 and regroup at half time. After the half, they stayed well away from giving Mark the ball.

Normally I would agree with you though.

4. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

you have to look at the game as it played out up until that point if you want answers. cumberland was the starting tight end, but he missed snaps in the game due to injury, stephen hill went down in the second, leaving kerley, schilens, gilyard, and reuland as our primary weapons in the passing game. with a 3 point game at half-time, and our defense starting to turn it on, trying to run the clock was the right move.

you can get all reactionary if you want and claim it has to do with a lack of faith in sanchez, but thats short sighted. the fact of the matter is that the two minute offense is hard to get going if you are playing with a bunch of backups, so the smart move, for a conservative offense and a team that relies on its defense, would not be to attempt to go downfield in 1:45 with 3rd stringers.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The Jets lack confidence in Muck. This is clear. It is not merely that they didn't try to score before the half. They took the ball out of his hands for the most part, and he did turn the ball over once again.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You are not the only one who cares, that drive sequence pissed me off as well.

I understand Sanchez has a tendency to give the ball away, but you cannot play like that. If you can't trust him in that situation then there's no reason to play him. You have to play to win and if he falters then pull him, but there's no excuse to play that conservatively, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVENT SCORED ALL HALF!

I'm not at all impressed by the playcalling and the overall approach to the last two games, despite winning. Had the Jets played ANYONE else but Arizona and Jax (2 worst teams in the NFL), they lose and are sitting at 4-9 right now. Sanchez is playing terrible, but Sparano is absolutely killing me right now.

7. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

In my opinion, you don't need to have much confidence in a guy to let him make a few safe throws down the field. Even if you told him to take absolutely NO chances in that situation, you could still see if somebody could get open down the field. I hate punting in that situation and giving the other team an almost free shot at 3 points.

8. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Just has no weapons at all. I think the question that no one is asking Ryan and should is have you lost faith in your receiving corp to grasp Sporano's offense?

So many times you see wrong routes, sloppy routes, miscommunication with the receivers. Sanchez gets all the blame, but inexperienced receivers are a big problem.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Tony Sparano has an offense, really?

There's nothing that the Jets are doing on the offensive side of the ball that distinguishes them from a semi-pro team at this point.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

it was terrible, and yes I was boooing @ the stadium....

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jeremy Kerley and Dustin Keller are the only NFL caliber receivers on the roster. The other guys are Bradway Specials tm.

12. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

This is nothing new, King Blowhard never goes tries to score before the half, even with full timeouts. Rex trust his defense way too much and it has bit us in the ass quite a few times.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Sanchez was so bad in the first half of that game that I simply can't blame Rex and Tony for ensuring that Sanchez didn't commit one of his weekly game-changing turnovers.

14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I agree completely. It sucks that we have gotten this bad on offense, but it is what it is.

15. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

No one in the organization has any trust in Sanchez. I've always been a big supporter but how many times has he thrown a pick just before halftime. I would have done the same thing. The guy is a turnover machine and despite his guaranteed 2013 salary he will be nothing more than a back-up.

16. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

good point by the op. it's so sad that the jets are satisfied with literally doing everything they can to minimize sanchez' mistakes and not let him lose the game. this sucks. at least tebow or mcelroy would be more intresting. i love the jets but this season absolutely sucks.

are the jets intending to let sanchez play out his contract handing-off the ball and hoping the defense can hold it together? this is fucking football purgatory.

17. wildaces

wildaces Banned

He could just as easily thrown a pick 6 in a close game, which is more likely.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Even if Mcelroy is our QB the receivers are obviously having a hard time getting open, either they don't understand the offense or are not good enough to play at this level.

19. BookEndTackles 72&79

I can't fault the staff on this one. I can't judge Sparano on this season when you have this personnel and arguably the worst QB in the league. This offense and Sanchez is terrible. Run it, run it and run it some more. Don't put Sanchez in a position to screw it up the rest of the way. Hopefully, he can be replaced next year and we will see a different mindset from the staff.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Actually I have seen a few nuts and bolts analyses that say this not getting open defense of Sanchez is not accurate. Add it to the list of other excuses for Muck.