PFF: Why It Might Be A Huge Mistake For Jets To Draft Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by IIMeanDeanII, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Wow ok cool thanks for your input

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm not discrediting you. it's ok to be an OSU fan and genuinely like their QB but there still will always be some bias. same way any of us here are as jet fans. how many of us believed sam was gonna be good when everyone else said he sucked? There will always be a soft spot for players of your team. hell we even all tried to convince ourselves gase wasn't an awful hire when nobody wanted him. it's human nature.

My point was that 99% of college players are scrubs at the NFL level. I actually found the stats too. 1.6% of college players get drafted. that means 98.4% don't even really make it into the NFL. sometimes an UDFA free agent does but it's maybe 1 per year average not enough to skew the numbers for over 74k players. now on top of that 255 drafted players. on top of that we all know at least half of the players in each draft bust out. probably much higher then half TBH but lets say half. that means .8% of players in the NCAA are actually NFL talent players. So in reality they are all scrubs playing against scrubs until they aren't. You said you watched the film, you make it sound like wilson never seen pressure even when the stats say his pressure rate was on par with most QBs and only slightly better then fields but also that's because fields held the ball longest. you make it sound like he hasn't made NFL throws. but he has. There is no excuse but not like wilson drafted his team and made the schedule. You can only play who you are put against. If he was sitting back all day with nothing but wide open WRs everywhere i'd see your point but even then you have to point out how good olave is and how much that helped fields. chad pennington draft stock blew up because of having randy moss to throw to. he also made culpepper look like a pro bowl QB. everything in the NFL is connected. it's not the NBA where 1 person can dominate everyone. football relies on a team effort and coaching. more so then any other sport. and the NCAA is a bad farm system for the NFL. which is why so many busts happen. All we can do is watch the players. take the good and bad they do. see what they need help with and what they are good at. then draft them, coach them up to get rid of the bad and scheme around their strengths. Baltimore did it perfectly with lamaar jackson who had his weaknsses but they use him perfectly and are trying to get more talent around him. But when you start knocking prospects for things out of their control that's not a fair analysis.

Br4d likes this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yes It Is.

It's real simple.

Zach Wilson against good opponents. Not so good.

Zach Wilson against bad opponents. Really good.

You are making this way more complicated than It should be.

themorey, ouchy and legler82 like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

i'm not making anything complicated.
    Mahomes went 5-7 in his final year.
    he went 13-16 as a starter in college
    guess mahomes will never win in the NFL huh?

football is too complicated to take 500 factors into account. the best thing you can do is watch someone play. why do you think the combine and pro days are a thing? if we could base it on what happened in college games only, we wouldn't need those things

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But it really isn't that simple. Take the CC game - many who don't like Wilson say "He played terrible", but if you watch that game, he didn't. In fact he played damn well, but his team didn't play as well, and there were some questionable calls that didn't help. He took his team from their 10 yard line with 34 seconds left and nearly pulled it off. That's good QB'ing at any level.

Against Tenn. in his supposed "Terrible season" of 2019 he rallied them to beat Tenn at home in O.T.

I would definitely prefer it if he had been able to play against their normal opponents this past year, but it is what it is. And as GAC said, it's a team game, and when teams struggle it's not always all on the QB.

PJ4Ever and GasedAndConfused like this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He did not play well against Coastal. To start the game, he overthrew an easy outside drag, next play he scrambles inside and spears a defender instead of sliding. He gets pressured up the middle and doesn't slide properly which leads to another incomplete pass.

Following series he goes for play-action, doesn't read the edge defender blitzing, makes a move to get away from pressure then he tried to pull a Mahommes by flicking It to his guy along the sideline, only he flicks it towards the CC defender and It was almost picked. Should've been actually.

He threw a WR screen setup, where he throws way too far behind the receiver that makes him back up to catch the pass, which also makes the play fail before the catch could even be made.
    The end of the second quarter he panics under pressure again and dirts the ball. Then the hail mary INT was under thrown by a decent bit for NFL standards. It was a hail mary though, so It's nitpicking.

I watched him twice I believe In that game make the same dumb play Ive seen him make several times In different games. He'll scramble out of the pocket, look to throw down field, then sprint right out to the sideline. Taking a hefty loss of yards In the process. Instead of simply throwing it away.

I could keep going. I'm going to stop though.

He had a couple nice throws that game. One on a slant, another on a deep post I believe It was.

The rest I believe came from the flat or curl route. Oh, a flee flicker. BYU loves their trick plays.

A lot of easy yards overall. He definitely didn't play well, It certainly wasn't his worst game. I'll say that much. It wasn't good though.

I have not watched a game against a decent team where I thought he played really well.

A few he played okay. Maybe?

Nah. It's relative.

I don't know what the numbers are against the good teams they actually played In 18', 19', and 20'. I'm willing to bet they ain't good though from what I've watched of him.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That’s the Geno Smith special.

themorey, PJ4Ever and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Let’s be real about Tennessee ... they were 0-1 and coming off a home loss to the mighty Georgia State Panthers

IIMeanDeanII and legler82 like this.
  9. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Sewell would’ve made no sense, they already have Becton, see Orlando Brown trade.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

100% this

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree Dean. I didn't see it like that...I mean I see what you're talking about, but I see those things as some mistakes all QBs - even Mahomes and Rodgers and the Sainted Lawrence (not to mention Fields) - make in a game. If all players played perfectly, without mistakes, there'd be no point in playing probably. Anyway, we're not going to agree, but I respect your opinion and the time and effort you've put into it. We'll have to see what happens.

12. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

His best year in 2020 was when everything clicked, he wasn't that bad vs Coastal Carolina all things considered, people rag on him because of the hail mary INT and that they didn't win the game on the road on short notice. Not his fault teams ducked out due to COVID from their schedule vs BYU. He played not 100% in 2019 and even missed games due to injury.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

to start the game opening play he gets pressures starting from his own 9, he steps up in the pocket delivers a dart to the sideline and his WR takes it 91 yards for a TD. it was called back on a BS penalty. then they ran for 2 yards and on 2nd and 8 he overthrows the same route he hit a strike on with the penalty play. then on 3rd and 8 it's a QB option to run or flick it to the RB. He keeps it and he picks up the 1st. he didn't scramble, it was a designed run play. sure he could have slid but are you faulting a guy for fighting for more yards?

That's a tough sequence to start a game. he delivers a strike under pressure that leads to a 91 yard TD only to have it called back. and is backed up against his end zone. and he still executes , gets a 1st down, and keeps the drive going.
    next wilson play he has pressure in his face again and goes downfield but misfires. it happens. next play he eludes pressure and flips it to his RB who drops it.

The whole 1st quarter I see a guy fighting with no help around him. constant pressure in his face yes a few misfires like any QB but penalties, no blocking, and dropped balls killed them.

in the 2nd quarter he starts off with a PA, and hits his 2nd read over the middle with a dart for a big gain. Also the WR screen you reference wasn't a WR screen. watch it again. the WR was supposed to throw it. zach threw it to a good spot and the WR was looking downfield. it wasn't open so he took a loss. then on a 4th and 1 they do a flea flicker. wilson fires a perfect dart to a covered WR who drops it. next series they are down 6 with 4 mins to go. he leads them to a TD completing every pass on the drive to take a 14-13 lead. they get the ball back with 38 seconds left on their 30. 1st play he scrambles looking to go deep and drops the ball somehow and jumps on it. next play he comes right back, scrambles, and throws a dart for 18 yards close to midfield with 15 seconds left. next play they try a dump off to get a few yards and get OOB but it's covered so he throws it at the RBs feet to stop the clock. that's actually a wise play. if he doesn't do that it likely ends the half. then with 7 seconds left and no timeouts at the 48 it's hail mary time. defenses rushes only 3 but somehow the LT falls down and lets the rusher go free. zach steps up and launches from his 38 the ball goes to about the half yard line. he does kinda a jump throw and it still goes 65ish yards in air. yeah it's short but the instant pressure didn't help. it gets picked but it's a hail mary not a fault on zach there.

all in all in the 1st half I seen a few bad plays but I also seen bad penalties, no blocking, constant pressure, lots of drops, and basically no help around him. but zach kept fighting and keeping them in the game and had a lead going into the half.

TLDR: I'll stop there because your "analysis" is pure bias and just wrong. you ignore his 91 yard TD to start the game that was called back due to holding. the "mahomes flick" was perfect it bounced off the RBs hands it was a drop. there was no WR screen it was a WR who was supposed to throw downfield faking the screen but it wasn't open. zachs throw put him in great position to launch with room from the defenders. it just wasn't open so the WR kept it for no gain. you also claim he "scrambles" and takes a hit but it was a designed option run where he keeps it or laterals to the RB. he kept it and picked up big yards. yeah he took an unnecessary hit but all college QBs do that and need to learn to slide in the NFL. he does later on slide in that half to avoid a hit after a big run. and more importantly he led a great 4 min drill to give them the lead going into the half. completing every pass.

No way anyone can say with a straight face he played poorly there. his WRs and o-line played poorly. not him. as someone said in the youtube comments on that video "If this game is his “bad” film, this dude might just be the best qb in the draft"

14. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I believe in Zach, but as everyone has stated, none of us can predict the future, so with that having been said, I just hope he pans out for us.....bc if he doesn't we are ALL going to owe both Legler AND MeanDean a massive apology....:(:(:(

Brook! likes this.
  15. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Honestly Justin Fields played worse games this year than Zach Wilson but his teammates helped him get away with the wins... but yes, let's talk about Coastal Carolina! :rolleyes:

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Dear Jets.

Please pick Fields. Thank you!

17. Brook!

Thank you Rockinz. Posts like these prevent me seeing nightmares about Wilson. If he is the pick, I hope Jets can develop him properly

Rockinz likes this.
  18. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

You can sleep well. Rest assured that the Jets management/scouting department did their homework and they truly believe that the guy they will get at 2 will become one of the best QB in the NFL.

Brook! likes this.
  19. Brook!

See. This is what I trust most. I am 100% in love with Joe D. Whoever he picks will be the right pick. I have no doubt. That’s why I renewed my season ticket. Can’t wait . :)

Kryoptix likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

why? it's all luck. will they apologize if wilson turns out better? nobody can predict the future but at least nobody is making stuff up about fields and slandering them. an open discussion of pros and cons is good. making up fake stuff to try and prove your preconceived conclusion means nothing and adds nothing to the conversation. not to mention the large amount of trolling done by one of them. at least dean is having conversations and not trolling. legler owes the entire board an apology at this point for trolling and getting the thread locked for a day. nobody apologized to me when i was attacked for a year straight for saying allen is way better then baker. everytime baker had a good game in his rookie year i was getting blasted with PMs and tags that were to say the least not very nicely worded. it was to the point some here were rooting for baker when he played us just to talk shit to me. now 3 years later it's clear allen is much better and everyone pretends it didn't happen. nobody apoligzed for calling me an idiot saying we should trade down for jackson instead of trading up for baker or sam (back when we were at 6 before the trade up) and they all said jackson was a RB and sucked at QB. If he's right about fields he's right. if not he's not. nobody should apologize for having an opinion. you apologize for being an ass to people and only a few people here have not been asses lately