PFF ranks Jets rookie draft class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 27, 2022.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yikes. Not too great. I thought Echols would be a bit more love....

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

the rankings look like BS. How does Seattle, for example, rate 3 slots higher.

i'm kicking myself for even clicking the link, knowing that these rankings typically are BS

hornblower, rickjet, Savatage and 2 others like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

its the issue when using raw data. it's a flawed metric. it's based on wins somehow and plus averages out and when you have so many late rounders like we did the average will suffer. Not a fan of that metric personally. I can understand wilson but he's a rookie QB. AVT, moore, carter all graded very favorable from them.
    AVT 66.8 (above average)
    carter 71 (really good)
    moore 71.2 (really good)

So really we got 3 above average starter rookies. not including the potential FQB. to be fair to them sherwood barely played cause of injury, carter II didn't grade well, neither did marshall, echols, and pinnock. ham barely played because of injury so they look at it and go the team won 4 games, 3 played well, 5 didn't, and 2 were injured. so on average 30% were good picks hence the low rating

Savatage, Noam and Brook! like this.
  5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well Wilson was horrendous if you just look at this years production/stats. But we "know" (or at least think) thats not anywhere near the whole story and way better days lie ahead.

Similarly Moore had a rough start to the season adjusting to the NFL and then later on missed some time which probably hurt these type of rankings but he looks like a fantastic player in the making.

My analysis.... if the Jets knock down 2 or 3 more drafts in a row of equal or similar results to the 21 draft we're going to be at worst a playoff contending team.

ouchy likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

both moore and AVT missed a lot of camp. AVT starting day 1 was basically training camp for him. wilson got better as the season went along. which i'm ok with it. I still think it was one of the better draft classes especially if wilson turns out to be a top 10 QB.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You can't rate draft classes after year 1. Year 3 is a better indicator. We all thought 2020 was a good draft class unless Becton gets healthy and Mims makes a major turn around it is not looking too good. I think we had a great draft class but let's see how Zach, AVT, Moore and Carter do in year 2. They all had to many injuries for my comfort. I also have high hopes for Echols and Carter 2 (They say he is super smart which I really like his chances of being very good).

NYJetsO12, ouchy and Brook! like this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

PFF's assessment looks spot on.

AVT and Moore were solid but they were picked high and Moore did miss time.

Zach has yet to show much.

REVISion and Jets69 like this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Every rookie improved a lot as the season went along, aside from the 2 LB converts and Marshall. MC2 probably had the least improvement of the others but he also started stronger than a lot of them.

I don’t like PFF in general but I also understand you can’t just take a 1 or a couple of games as the grade, you have to look at the full season.

As fans we can take a few games late in the season where the play was much better, and say “that shows improvement” which it does, but it’s no guarantee that they will start from that point or better in the next season.

rickjet, Savatage, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

When people realize that Zach Wilson is the best piece of the 2021 draft, they will begin to see how special of a class it is. PFF graded on the results of this season, so I get putting the Jets at 20th, but it won't be that way if they re-grade in future seasons. Could possibly be #1.

rickjet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'll reiterate. if this doesn't disqualify their rankings i don't know what does. Seattle is three higher. they had three pick the best of whom and only one mentioned barely played. Agian trash ranking

17. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
    Why they're ranked here: Seattle selected only three players in the 2021 NFL draft due to various trades. And their top pick — wide receiver Dee Eskridge — was an afterthought in the Seahawks' offense. Needless to say, it would have been difficult for Seattle to perform significantly above or below expectations.

How their top pick fared: An offseason injury and concussion suffered in the season-opener derailed Eskridge's rookie campaign. He missed seven of the first eight games but made a comeback to appear in each of the final nine. Still, Eskridge's role was minimal, and he struggled to make any impact plays on the routes and targets he did receive. The 56th overall pick finished with a 58.3 PFF grade while generating only 0.59 yards per route run.

Seattle's Full 2021 Draft Class
    ROUND/PICK
    NAME POS COLLEGE
    2/56 D'Wayne Eskridge WR Western Michigan
    4/137 Tre Brown CB Oklahoma
    6/208 Stone Forsythe OT Florida

apjbfc, rickjet, MaximusD163 and 4 others like this.
  12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He wasn't even the best player we picked this year.

13. The Dark Knight

He will be. That is my point. And if he is, meaning he is better than AVT, Moore, and Carter, then this is a homerun draft for Douglas.

14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it's even fair to Zach to seriously hope he develops into a top 10 QB at this point. I'm not saying it's totally impossible but lets just hope for top 20 as a little more attainable. And to be honest THAT would even be an accomplishment. To be top 20 that means you are either every bit as good or flat better than people like Cousins, Garapollo, Tannehill, Ryan, Wentz, Carr, Jones etc.

If by next year we were in general concensus agreement that Zach is as good or better than all those guys? I'd sign up for that in a second. And that would still be a FAR cry from top 10.

15. The Dark Knight

He was the #2 overall pick in the draft. Top 10 QB is tough since there are some really good ones in the NFL, but it is fair to expect Wilson to be a really good QB who can lead the Jets to wins and eventually a Super Bowl title. If he has a Joe Flacco-like career, I think fans would sign up for that. I think he will be better, but time will tell.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. And for all the people hating on PFF, while they can be wrong, they're as likely to be wrong in favor of the Jets as against the Jets. Which makes them a lot more reliable than TGG when it comes to evaluating the Jets.

REVISion and James Hasty like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Zach started off as almost-Nathan Peterman (I know Zach wasn't quite that bad in case someone tries to take this out of context) and finished as Colt McCoy. Which is a decent rate of improvement but he's got a long way to go before getting to league average starter let alone anything special.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s funny how PFF is used when it supports one’s argument and trashed when it doesn’t.

19. The Dark Knight

Yep! That is why I said that I get PFF ranking the Jets' 20th. Zach's season wasn't great, but I feel his potential is.

20. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

These guys get injured when the wind blows. Of course they are rated lower, they hardly played. I cannot recall a season where our players just kept getting injured time after time after time.

James Hasty likes this.