Pettine : I am not gonna be Rex !

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NewYorkEveryThing, Jan 24, 2014.

1. NewYorkEveryThing

Ray Lewis.... The gift that keeps giving ! lol

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

where does it say that in that article? of course he's not going to be Rex. rex is unique.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

And here we go..

4. NewYorkEveryThing

Oh . I fixed it !

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't see anything wrong w/ what he said.

6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Does the article mention where he thinks he'll be, after they fire him, at the end of the season?

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's coming from his press conference when he was asked abut being Rex's right hand man. He made a point to say his personality is different.. which it is.. He said they are opposites of each other personality-wise and that

"[He's not] going to be predicting Super Bowls or wins and losses or meeting presidents. [He] won’t be writing on anybody’s Winnebago about ‘Super Bowl or bust"

-He went on to say they complemented each other,he kept Rex organized, etc and Rex introduced him to defensive creativity..

Not really a shot at Rex or anything, but it is notable that he went out of his way to mention those specific things.. maybe they bugged him. Also, I found it note-worthy that even now that he's been named HC, he is still personally feeling the need to separate himself from Rex. Maybe the relationship is still a little icy - for whatever reason.

8. NewYorkEveryThing

I think he is a decent D coach but offense? He would need a norv turner type of coach as an assistant . Phil taylor is a beast!!

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

How does Petine even compile a staff? All of the guys on the Jets that he worked with have all moved on, like where is he planning on getting an Offensive Coordinator? Sparano? the Bills QB coach? or is he going to put his faith into a guy he knows little about?

Good luck with that, most guys who get hired can pickup guys from their previous team but I dont think a single guy from the Jets regime goes with him and the Bills, im not sure about. This isnt going to work out for Cleveland imo.

10. NewYorkEveryThing

The only bowl pettine is taking the browns in is the one in his bathroom !

11. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

He's the start of the soon famous Rex Ryan coaching tree.

12. BrowningNagle

More like the Rex Ryan coaching sapling haha

13. BrowningNagle

There is plenty of guys out there looking for jobs and promotions. He won't have a problem assembling a staff.

Jim O'Neil, Bills LB coach - former Jets LB coach will be his D-coordinator.

Early reports are they will go after Gary Kubiak for O-coordinator. There are position coaches, former position coach and assistant position coaches abound from which to assemble the rest of his staff. It's an overrated problem to say he can't fill out a decent staff at this point in time

14. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

It won't be too hard for him to find defensive coaches.

Now that he's left the Bills, of course they will have to bring in a new DC, or promote one from within. If they take a DC from outside the Bills, he will want to bring his coaches along with him, meaning all the Bills defensive coaches will be fired- therefore, they will be happy to move with Pettine to the Browns and keep their jobs. Also, even if they promote a new DC from within, it will be an untested rookie DC, and the might feel that they will have more stability/success with Pettine. I'm not saying he has world-beater coaches, but it won't be a problem for him to retain most of his guys from the Bills.

Offensively, all of the good NFL OC's will be taken. He can offer a promotion to a positional coach from one of the playoff teams, or go get a college OC who can bring something new to the NFL and maybe be successful with that. They could also keep some of the existing offensive coaches- or even retain whoever their OC is. So- plenty of options, I don't see it as being a huge problem for Pettine to get coaches. Now- will they be a competitive team next year? Who knows. It's the Browns, so probably not.

It seems pretty obvious that Pettine really wanted to be a HC. Rex Ryan said, when Pettine left, he wanted to establish his own identity and reputation rather than being under Rex's shadow, otherwise he would never get a HC job. Pettine knows that there's a very high chance he will be fired in 1 year, because that's how the Browns do things, but he also knew that if he turned the job down, it could take 5 years to get another chance, or maybe you never get another chance. And since he believes in himself, he'll try to be the one who can turn the franchise around- if he gets them to the playoffs he will have job security. If he gets fired in 1 year, he'll still get to be a DC again right away, and it won't be too heavy of a black mark against him if he did decently, since the Browns are known to be a team that fires coaches constantly. Then he could be a DC for 1 - 2 years, and be that much more competitive for a second shot as a HC, since he already has HC experience. So, I think it was a smart move for him to take the job.

As a Jets fan, this is great news for us. Buffalo's defense is sure to take a step back without Pettine running it, and now they will have to scramble to fill up that half of their coaching staff when most of them leave with Pettine. They will of course fill up their coaching staff, but they might have to promote guys to get them to stay, and/or give promotions to guys from other teams, and it might not be very effective right away. Certainly they will not get someone as good as Pettine as their DC. I think this gives the Jets a somewhat better chance to sweep the Bills in 2014.

#15 Jets Esq., Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I think he is going to find it difficult to compile an offensive staff. He obviously could find "someone" but how can you trust that "someone" if you have never worked with them or anything. A head coach needs a healthy relationship with a coordinator. Rex kept Schotty but it will be interesting to see what Petine intends on doing. It will be pretty funny though if he does hire Sparano :lol:

16. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

I dont think they would have hired him if he hadnt convinced them of his staff. I'm sure he has a plan and the coaches he has agreed with prior.

17. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

And there arn't any coaches left that are stupid enought to hire Sparano as OC :lol:

18. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Pettine isn't Rex. He's much more disciplined and serious-minded, and I believe that he will hold players accountable unlike Rex early on, and still to some extent. With his background, with the job he did for the Jets and Bills, I think he has a chance to become an excellent HC. I believe him when he said he doesn't believe in forcing players into a system. He was flexible with the Jets and when he realized that Rex's blitzes weren't working any more in 2010, it was he that suggested to Rex in the playoffs that they cross up NE by not blitzing but by dropping into coverage instead.

I didn't realize that Chud had been a "players' coach" and not holding players accountable. With a good draft and the right moves in FA, I think Cleveland can become a very good, if not great team under Pettine.