Peter King: "Jets Struck It Rich" When Fields KO'd Clemson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 4, 2021.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Just saw Peter King on ESPN.....said that the Jets "struck it rich" (exact words) when Fields had his best game ever last week. Not sure if he wrote this in his FMIA column, haven't read it yet.

Says IF -- I know some of you don't like it -- but IF we hold onto Sam, we can get a net pickup of 2 more #1 picks giving us 5 over the next 2 years.

I personally think it could be more, but maybe someone wants to give us #2's. Whatever, it may be a moot point but this will depend on what JoeD thinks of Sam and what the new HC (which we don't know) also thinks of him. Hopefully, they are both in synch, whether it's positive, negative, or neutral.

Anyway, use this thread to discuss rumours of any hauls the Jets or any other team are contemplating.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fields still has to play well against Alabama. Also we don't have to trade the pick down, we can take him instead.

3. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

We can get all the picks we want but if Sam sucks, it won't matter.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Two #1s in addition to the swap?

Its a little early to suggest he is worth that much. The Jets still have one more game and its a week from today.

Noam likes this.
  5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We can get 5 1st rounders but whats the point if Fields ends up like Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, or Wilson?

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Must be 2 #1's solo.....we have 2 picks this year and 2 next year and he said 5 over the next 2 years, so a net pickup of 1 this year.

Hey, if we are going with Sam -- not saying we are or should just saying -- and Fields kicks ass against 'Bama....we could be looking at an RGIII-type haul with almost 75-100% more on the value chart.

FWIW....I think we're probably going to take Fields and deal Sam, but it depends on the HC IMO. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that JoeDe is LEANING to trading Sam but NOT 100% sold on it.

He wants to hear from the new HC, which is the right thing to do.

boozer32, FJF, Pepsiguy5 and 2 others like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Okay ya that makes sense.

I know everyone on TGG is QB crazy right now but the time us going to come where they will have to accept that JD is going to trade the #2 pick.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Do you think it’s more likely JD hires a coach that shares his opinion of Sam either way, or would hire a coach with a differing opinion of Sam who convinces JD to change his mind?

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If Fields plays well vs. Alabama (win or lose) I want him, assuming Lawrence goes 1.

If Meyer goes to Jax and takes Fields, taking Lawrence is a no-brainer.

10. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

IF we can get 2 #1s in addition to swapping this year’s Plus a second or third round pick to go along with that!! JD Would be foolish not to think about this ... surely if we were to keep Sam and he not work out ..we would have the Capital to move up and get a FQB ... Pete king Usually on Mad Dog show Monday in the afternoon I’ll have to listen to that ....if Fields has a big game we Strike gold with him or have so many options if we trade down

Noam and RochesterJet like this.
  11. It will matter if we have enough future picks to simply replace Darnold when he falters & the ideal QB prospect comes along

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I've said this before regarding JD...but he's such a shrewd talent evaluator. I'm confident the correct decision will be made.

He's said, on record, that he believes Sam is the QB of the future (but he's said he sees Adams as a Jet for life) and we saw how that played out.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Smart teams don't trade away the opportunity to draft a FQB unless they already have one. The lower one drafts, the more draft capital it takes to trade up. There are no guarantees that there will be a FQB prospect in the 2022 or 2023 draft, nor are there any guarantees that one of the teams drafting in the top 5 would be willing to trade down or that we would have enough draft capital to trade up. Even if we did, it would mean that we would have no draft capital to continue to improve the team and build around that QB for 2-3 years. That would be stupid.

The only good option trading down would be to trade down only a couple of spots and take Wilson or Lance, and they are not nearly as good an option as staying put and taking one of Lawrence/Fields. The other options are nowhere near as good.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Are you not enamored with this year's QB prospects?

15. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

What if The Falcons came knocking at the door with that kind of trade possibility there sitting at four if they think or feel that strongly about Fields ? Then we could Swap numbers and grab Wilson at 4 and still get 2 #1s But this is all predicated to Fields having another outstanding game next week

PennyRoyal10 likes this.
  16. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

If Fields plays well on Monday, and assuming TL goes #1, it will come down to how far JD/Coach feel the drop off is from Fields to Wilson/Trask. If the gulf is too big, they should take Fields. If they feel the gap isn't that big and they can trade down a few spots, maybe to 5/6, I would trade out of #2, take a bounty of draft picks and still get their QB.

Honestly, Sam doesn't figure into this plan. Take the picks, get their FQB and build around that kid with picks. If they can trade Sam and get something of value, fine, if not, keep him to compete with the rookie next year and go from there. If the Chargers could acquire Rivers while still having Drew Brees on their roster, the Jets can't worry about Sam or what he may or may not become down the road for somebody else...

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Trading down is generally a good thing but it's hard to overstate how important QB is and how bad our current QB is. We already have a ton of draft capital in the early rounds of the next two drafts, if Douglas trades away #2 this year instead of taking a QB I'm going to knock him hugely for it.

I can't watch this team finish 32nd in offense again. There's being bad and there's being unwatchable, the Jets have been both in recent years. They have not only been among the worst teams, they have probably been the most boring one. I can't do it again. If Darnold is the QB next year I'll be paying attention from afar.

18. TL,Lance & Fields i like.But after years of preaching franchise QB trumps all, this yr im going the other way.

For the New York Jets of 2020 under their current state Volume of picks over multiple drafts trumps all.

The overall roster is very bad. So bad that the only solution is hitting on lots of draft picks at lots of positions. And not w just one class.

Once weve secured further draft assets over the foreseeable future, take the first QB w franchise potential that comes along.No objections.

themorey, RochesterJet and Br4d like this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Trading up to get a QB is a big reason we're so devoid of talent as it is. Having the #2 pick is extremely rare. We've been a terrible team for a long time and haven't picked this high in 24 years. Also Darnold has already faltered. A lot.

20. Im suggesting continuing to accumulate volume of picks at every turn so that if we have to trade up in a yr or 2 we can have the proper ammo & enough remaining picks to have sustainable roster management moving fwd.

Its really not even about Darnold or the QB position in general. Its more the overall state of the roster w or w.o a solution at QB.

Its bigger than 1 player or 1 position.The whole roster needs fixing.