Per Schefter "no way preseason is 4 games next season"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsfansince95, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I was talking to one of my buddies last night and told him there's no way preseason is 4 games after they negotiate a new CBA. The preseason is an absolute joke at this point, it should be two games. One game is for depth players to try to make a roster while the other is a tune up game for starters before the regular season. Add two more regular season games and add another bye week, make the season 20 weeks.

egelband, papapump, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Instead of training camp show a 20 minute pre-game speech by Vince Lombardi and go out there and play some football.

Noam, matt robinson 17, cval and 2 others like this.
  4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Even with another bye week I can't see the players wanting a longer regular season. These guys are pretty beat up playing 16 games.

ColoradoContrails and jetstopgun like this.
  5. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

teams can always play scrubs the final few weeks once they are out of the playoff picture. and for the ones still in the hunt players will be motivated to play hard (which will lesson the pain)
    Schefter mentioned how maybe they can add a playoff team to make up for some of the lost revenue. since we all know money is first.

LF911SC likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

The players want the extra games, they'd make more money. Phil Simms said a few months ago that it's not a crazy idea and that the players who don't make $10M a year would be in favor because they'll make more money. Another player who said he'd be in favor of 18 game seasons was Jabril Peppers, I'm sure he's not the only one.

7. NYJFOREVER

3 wild card teams. 1 seed is the only team that gets a bye. 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 6. I've been saying this for a couple years now (never said it on TGG before)

This scenario could get the best teams in the league to continue to play in the late weeks 16 and 17 of the regular season, which is better for NFL anyways.

Brook! and Peebag like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the preseason always sucks but it feels extra shitty this year. everyone is sitting their players, stadiums completely empty. The league needs to do something.

the 3rd preseason game is usually the only one worth watching as traditionally you get the starters for the 1st half at least. But the Packers sat their top 33 players!! and Jacksonville was on national television and played some guy named Gardner Minshew for most of the entire game.

coaches & players are making a mockery of it. time to change something

Brook! likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

I don't like it, it makes it easier to make the playoffs. it should be hard to make the playoffs

stinkyB likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah we don't want the NFL to wind up being like the NHL where almost every team makes the playoffs.

12. NYJFOREVER

7 out of 16 teams is almost every team? That’s not even half.

LF911SC, BacktoQueens and TonyFtLaud like this.
  13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

My bigger concern is that it essentially gives the #1 seed in each conference a free path to the super bowl. There are already stats to show that getting a bye skyrockets your chances of winning the conference. If only 1 team gets one you can essentially pencil them into February.

HomeoftheJets and BrowningNagle like this.
  14. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Do not want two extra regular season games - season is long enough already

AJW, NCJetsfan, stinkyB and 1 other person like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I love Pre-Season football more than most, but even I have had a hard time watching this season. Besides Jets games, the rest has been unwatchable.

16. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

There are currently 2 teams that get a bye. If it's reduced to just 1 team we will see the Patriots cheating increase to ensure that bye.

NYJFOREVER, NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

It helps increase their chances of getting a bye by going 6-0 in their division every damn year :(

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I always knew this day was coming, but it's a dark day when we go to seven playoff teams. Six is perfect. Nice symmetry in terms of reward tiers: two teams get byes, two others get home games, and two others make the post-season. And more nice symmetry in terms of four games the first weekend, and four the second weekend. It's just right.

Once you go seven, you have only one team getting a bye, which is jarringly weird, and in two years everyone is going to say, "Wait, one bye is weird. Let's just to to eight teams." It's inevitable.

Then we'll have half the teams in the playoffs, which totally dilutes the importance of the regular season, which will now be two games longer. It's gross.

But as I said, I knew this would happen eventually. Sigh.

AJW, donkey, Leicester Jet and 3 others like this.
  19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don’t want a longer regular season. It will result in more injuries (and that idea of a player only being able to play in 16 games is just bizarre). The game is diluted enough with 32 teams. There just aren’t enough good players to go round (especially quarterbacks) and more injuries will just make things worse.

I wouldn’t hate an extra bye-week for each team if they want to stretch the season out for revenue purposes. It would be good to give players the extra in-season break and maybe it could be worked out that the Thursday Night Football teams could always be coming off a bye week, so we wouldn’t have those ridiculous short weeks.

But overall, I can’t think of any sport that changes things up so much. It’s like they think they have a crappy product, or something. It’s the best game in the world! Leave it alone ffs!

20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

It won't be too long before we have a team that's 8-10 making the playoffs and playing a team that's like 14-4.

No one wins in this situation, no matter the outcome.

Or imagine two teams are 15-3 at the end of the year, and one gets a bye and the other has to play, based on tie-breakers.

This is also terrible.

stinkyB, Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.