Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's all over twitter right now; apparently he said it at a press conference. Also said "there was no thought given" to having a QB competition with Fitzpatrick.

I now feel fairly confident in a 4-12 prediction. I'd rather see Petty than Geno. I know Geno sucks - at least Petty is an unknown.

2. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

wow, first bad move by this coaching staff.

wtf would you proclaim Geno the day one starter in May?
    he should have to earn anything he gets, and build the respect of his teammates w/o simply being annointed the team leader.

4. DoubleDecker87

Geno absolutely should be the starter but he should've had to compete for it.

Cman68, The 1985er, bmfc1 and 4 others like this.
  5. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

What happened to Big Mac's competition mantra?

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

not so sure he 'should' be the starter, as i'm not convinced he's our best option.

but definitely agree he absolutely should've had to compete for it and earn it. what's up with these coaches trying to anoint guys in May?
    that never works well in the locker room imo.... the players want to see some fire, some hard work, and some leadership before they truly get behind a QB.
    this sends the wrong message!

jetsons likes this.
  7. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I don't understand this at all. Is it just to give Geno confidence? Fitzpatrick was way better than him last year—if Geno is going to start, he should have to earn it by beating Fitz out. The competition would be good for both guys.

jetsons and matt robinson 17 like this.
  8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Maybe this isn't as bad as some of you think.

Dreadmadseen likes this.
  9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

thats jumping the gun… wouldn't surprise me if he backtracked on that.

I've lost favor with the whole alternate day starter thing as an effective measure of determining a week 1 starter, I think it should be you have your spot till you don't or the guy behind you proves he deserves a shot. don't be late chemistry with top weapons,discover any shortfalls as quickly as possible.

MenOverGod and Axel3419 like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Chan Gaily reuniting with Fitz theory leading to a winning season just died.

Chan Gaily must really suck or Fitzpatrick is more broken down then they are telling us

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Mac must have his eye on a top rank QB in next seasons draft

12. DoubleDecker87

It's not a bad message if it was the right decision. I wanted Fitz to push Geno during TC but I never wanted him to touch the field. If we were done with Geno we should've went after Hoyer or Moore as a stop gap. Fitz may prove me wrong if he gets the chance but he's like 47 years old coming off a broken leg and as much as we want to believe he's good he's really not. Petty isn't an option in year 1 and Simms is well he's Matt Simms. While I would've preferred we waited till August this may be good to let him lead the team, only time will tell.

13. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It's possible Gailey just put his foot in his mouth. Let's let things play out.

14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Why no competition? WTF???

It's sad if Geno is being handed the job already. I just don't get it. He might very well be the best option, but why not make him prove it?

IDFjet likes this.
  15. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Maybe by saying this Gailey is thinking it will give Geno a little extra confidence? We all know he doesnt fare well when facing adversity so could be a smart move.

Nothing at this point is set in stone though. Even if a "probably" gives its a 75/25 chance that Geno is the starter , he wont be if he flames out in preseason and Fitz is clicking.

almbleamal likes this.
  16. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Geno > Fitz & Simms

Don't see how this is news. You want your best option to take the majority of snaps with the #1 offense. At this point Geno is our best option like it or not.

17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

He may start the season as #1, doesn't mean he'll end it as #1...remember Foley/Vinny in '98?

18. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

it's logical from a coaching standpoint.

Geno starts for game 1 because the next time he gets pulled he's done, literally and figuratively. Either you have something with him or you need to draft a QB early again next year. If you start the season with Fitz and he sucks or gets hurt then you have to put geno back out there and that's a huge let down whereas now...who knows if it was just lack of confidence etc etc...either geno gets it together with new weapons and a new OC who has made chicken salad out of chicken shit before or he sucks and confirms everyone's concerns and Fitz goes in.

Petty should only see the field in an emergency or a blowout or you risk ruining all 3 QB's.

#18 Donttasemebro, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's only the week 1 starter, I think Geno is well aware he has a very short leash. If he has 2 bad games in a row it's over for him. That's what I got from that PC.

those wanting Petty to start this yr, stop just stop.

boozer32, mikey and FJF like this.
  20. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Smart move, one may see it as getting a QB fired up and wanting to compete....I see it as taking out the whole "Prove you are the starter" mantra. Geno knows he needs to get it done this year, he is owed nothing with new management and he has weapons this time around. Geno knows he needs to be good this year or else he might be gone. It isn't a matter of trying to light a fire up his ass, he should already have that. He just needs to show it Sundays.

If you want to expect your QB to be comfortable and confident he's "the guy", you take away the competition factor and don't let the media have a daily routine of breaking down the QBs and try and make this a game of oneups-manship. We had that year by year under Rex outside of maybe 2011 and 2010, I appreciate the fact that it isn't happening for once.

This doesn't mean Geno is exempt from criticism or being taken out of a game but it is a good sign they have their starter in place and have the confidence in him. Guys like Fitz and Petty should stay hungry just in case.

The QB needs to be in tact and in place first and foremost to command the respect out of the team, right after the head coach. It is not good for a team to learn on the final week heading into the regular season who "won" the job.