Penei Sewell OT Oregon

Discussion in 'Draft' started by wewantsapp, Sep 21, 2020.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Just opening up a discussion on the early 2021 NFL Draft options. We don’t look after the 1st 2 games. There’s a lot of football left, - but as it stands now, - picking in the top 5 appears to be relatively certain. With that in mind, - my first inclination would be trading back a few picks so as to remain in the top half of the draft but accumulating an extra 1st or 2nd future rounders (obviously based on this floating NFL draft points chart someone drew up years ago) ---- particularly since our roster is comprised of high priced FAs that get hurt or dont want to play & numerous undrafted FAs/other teams' castoff former draft picks.

However, Penei Sewell OT from Oregon is a prospect I feel I would have trouble passing up on if he were available when NYJ is OTC. I know that Mekhi Becton is 2020 1st rounder & so far looks good. I also know having 2 good/great bookend tackles would be huge - for the run game and for Sam Darold development – especially if we are to learn anything about him as we near the end of his rookie contract. Mike Maccagan flat out ignored the offensive line. Look where it’s put us.

It’s also important to note the COVID age where substantial game tape on players will be significantly lacking. Sewell had already established himself very well. Had he come out for the 2020 NFL Draft, - he arguably could have been the very first OT drafted. The guy is a can’t miss prospect.

So putting Sewell at LT, moving Mekhi Bekton to RT and drafting OG Trey Smith from Tennessee w/the Seahawks 1st round pick from the Jamal Adams trade is the start of a good looking O-line. For those who say you can't draft a RT so early at pick #11 --- I tell them to look at Lane Johnson in Philly playing RT when drafted #4 overall in 2013.

Just a convo on a depressing Monday morning.

stinkyB likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd rather take Ja'Marr Chase and give the offense a game changing skill position player. At some point, the team needs to bite the bullet and give its QB a weapon who can grow with him. Maybe go OL on day 2 and/or with the Seahawks 1st rounder.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

At this point we are the clear cut favorite for Trevor Lawrence and if it does end up that way we cannot pass him up.

Hopefully JD will learn a lesson and build the team around Lawrence better than was done with Darnold. We will certainly be in better position to build around him than we were with Darnold with the amount of picks the Jets have in these next two drafts.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I want to go this route as well, but I won't fault them for taking TL and just blowing the entire thing up and restart the clock with a young QB.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It's going to be a never ending debate. This team just lacks so much depth and talent, I feel like trading back is what I would do now. I see this draft/offseason shaking out in a few ways:

1. Is Sam Darnold the guy? If he has shown enough for another year or two, you may try and go hard after JuJu and hope that sticks. Big gamble if he signs here but they are close and ex USC teammates. If that happens, yes, can continue to build the line with Sewell and maybe draft a slot guy like Rondale Moore, who is 5 foot 9 and would expect those jitterbug type WR to be around later in round 1 to pair with Mimms.

2. If Sam is not the guy, and you have the 1st pick, you have to pick Trevor and then draft an interior OL to help late 1. Round 2 could be a RB or another OL. Ideally, I would go Trevor, Wyatt Davis, Travis Etienne with first 3 picks all inside 33.

Lots of options. In fairness to Fant, he's been servicable. Hell, even Brandon Shell starts on Seattle. It's so much more about QB and a solid foundation of an OL to pair with talent. Swewll would be nice, but we need more areas. Chase would be my pick if we aren't drafting Lawrence.

6. CotcheryFan

I'm going by the OP's assumption that Sam is the guy.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No to an interior OL with a 1st round pick, unless it's a C. I agree with the rest.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

No question Sewell is an elite prospect but Becton is proving already to be the LT for hopefully the next 10 years. I’m not sure spending a top 5 pick on a RT is the best idea with the amount of holes the Jets have.

Given the choice of Sewell, Chase, Rousseau who will each likely be too 5 worthy picks and fill big needs for Jets, I’d rank them Chase first with Rousseau next and then Sewell.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  9. Im not oppossed to Sewell assuming weapons are prioritized later on day 1 & on day 2 OR via FA/Trade.

This is a special talent & by no means a forced pick based on position. Just like Becton this a trascendent OL,in his case its quickness,violent punch & ability to climb/reach block. Hes one of the fastest OL to hit second level targets ive ever seen. Absolutely frightening..wouldve stopped Derrick Brooks on those old Tampa D’s in his tracks.

You pair him w Becton & youve got an unbelievable foundation to build around w Sam. They arent just 2 good OL who happen to be taken in the 1st round to be paired.These are 2 guys w legit yellow jacket upside & no hyperbole intended. Their skillsets compliment eachother nicely as well.

NCJetsfan, dawinner127 and Red Menace like this.
  10. CotcheryFan

Would you take Sewell over Chase?

11. Cant believe im saying this but yes. I think Sewell is a better prospect & presents an exceptionally rare opportunity to pair up 2 special linemen creating the kind of foundation we havent seen on offense since the 90s cowboys or perhaps the Hogs.

This is only bc Sewell is that special AND Becton is that special.

My hope is weapons would be somewhat addressed in FA/trade or perhaps we trade up for a Waddle/Bateman.Also like TE Kyle Pitts at end of RD 1/early day 2.He splits out very frequently & is a match up nightmare

#11 KurtTheJetsFan, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2020
    NCJetsfan, dawinner127 and Red Menace like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

trade down to around 4-5ish. take an edge rusher (rousseau) then use our other 1st on a WR. we can get an extra 2nd in this draft for a trade down. a high one and an extra 2nd or 1st next year) then we can use our 2 2nds on another WR and a CB and still have 2 more 3rds for o-line and edge. then the other 6 or so picks. and we will have 3 1sts next year a 2nd and 2 3rds

wewantsapp likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

I, too can't believe you're saying this. You've been vocal about addressing the skill positions, namely WR. When it comes to TE's, I'm intrigued by Pat Freiermuth.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

rosseau doesn’t have great film imo. Lot of coverage sacks.

15. NCJetsfan

I'm downright shocked that you're saying this, but glad. I think it's a great sign. You've been nothing short of adamant about the WR position, and have seemed to be getting angrier rather than calmer. I don't want you to wreck your health over the Jets.

The only things I'd worry about with Sewell are 1) would the Jets be able to pay both second contracts and still pay Sam, an elite Edge and WR? and 2) would Sewell be content playing RT?

As exciting as having two great bookend OTs sounds, rather than take Sewell, I'd rather trade down, garner a bucket of picks, and really make over this roster next offseason. Imagine what Douglas could do with three 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, and three 3rd round picks. With those 8 picks, he could add elite prospects at WR, TE, and Edge/CB, excellent prospects at C/OG and RB, and very good prospects at Edge/CB, and very good prospects at WR, ILB and OG. If he has signed a starting caliber OG in FA and a veteran WR, then he could use the 3rd round WR and OG on other positions of need like RT or another Edge or another ILB.

If the 2021 draft is too big a question mark, he could possibly trade some of the picks for 2022 picks if it looks like it will be a better draft.

#15 NCJetsfan, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    wewantsapp likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

um are we watching the same guy? he has a good bull rush and speed rush. he needs some moves though he's getting by on his strength and speed right now. but that can be developed. he has a high motor. he's versatile (lines up at DT, DE and OLB) and has a good nose for the ball and strip sacks. he's 6-6 260lbs and runs a 4.6 40. he's the perfect need for our defense. he's also great against the run.

17. Sewell was an RT in High school & is on record saying he’ll play either spot.

Im not opposed to trading down or passing on Sewell for Chase.In fact id be just as happy w Chase..just gun to my head Health permitting for both, Becton/Sewell is a slam dunk that drastically make things easier for whatever skill players we bring in

Volume of picks are absolutely the solution to the Jets woes.That said they already have a good amount of picks from Adams trade & passing on elite prospects like Chase,Sewell or even Rousseau who all fill huge needs does carry risk. Jets have alot of holes but also find themselves lacking top end talent,esp on offense.Food for thought.

NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I'm glad to hear that about Sewell being willing to play RT. I'd still worry about paying them both however, and still having cap space to pay an elite WR, QB, and Edge.

I definitely think that Douglas should draft at least one elite prospect in the 2021 draft. I was just thinking that if we could trade down, add more early picks and still get Waddle and one of the best TE prospects then have an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick it would be better than just getting Chase or Sewell, but perhaps not. I'd rather have an elite LT and an elite WR going into next season versus two elite OL and only a couple of very good/excellent WR prospects (one of whom is Mims) and a 2nd tier veteran. You're right, we definitely need some elite talent on offense. I still have some hopes that with the right HC, Sam can be an elite QB. Rather than adding another elite OL, I think it would be better to add an elite WR or TE to help Sam and put more pressure on opposing Ds.

19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

"Volume of picks are absolutely the solution to the Jets woes."

Well said.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. WoodyHarrelson

How did Edoga look yesterday or is he already a 3rd round bust?