Pats @ Jets Where the game will be won or lost

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Sep 15, 2006.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

From ESPN....

INJURIES
    QUESTIONABLE ILB Tedy Bruschi (Wrist)
    CB Artrell Hawkins (Thigh)
    WR Chad Jackson (Hamstring)
    T Nick Kaczur (Shoulder)
    FB Garrett Mills (Flu)

PROBABLE QB Tom Brady (Shoulder)
    WR Doug Gabriel (Hamstring)
    SS Rodney Harrison (Flu)

INJURIES
    DOUBTFUL C Trey Teague (Ankle)

QUESTIONABLE CB David Barrett (Hip)
    WR Tim Dwight (Thigh)
    G Pete Kendall (Thigh)

PROBABLE ILB Matt Chatham (Foot)
    DE Trevor Johnson (Neck)
    FS Kerry Rhodes (Ankle)
    CB Derrick Strait (Chest)

I was thinking that we will win the game if we can stop their run and force them to throw. Brady will struggle to find his new go to guy (I hope!) I have confidence in our hawking abilities to win that one.
    This is going to most probabley be a low scoring slugfest , if we can hold the run

#1 gustoonarmy, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I can't believe I'm saying this, I think we may have the personal to win?

To me the key is can we man up the weak Pats WR and contain Ben Watson and the running game with 8 in the box?

The Pats have always beaten the crap out of us by making us abandon the running game early and than killing Pennington late. What I liked about last week was even though the running game sucked we stuck to it and ran it 34 times. Beacuse we had the lead we were able to keep TN from teeing off on Pennington and ignoring the run. If Barlow unlike Blaylock comits to hitting holes and seems fast and hard he will break some big runs. If we don't get behind early the Pats will not be able to sell out on the passing game. I also believe unlike in the past we aren't outmanned in the kicking game and we should be able to do better than trade field position with them. They also don't have Vinetari which has allowed the Pats to work with a very short field to score over the past several years. Obviously Nugent can't stink it up this week.

3. Sean_in_titletown

I think people are writing of NE's passing game far too easily...I don't think the Jets will be able to run the ball and they won't be able to stop the run either. Add in that Tom Brady is Tom Brady and that Belichick is Belichick and I really don't see this as being a very close game. However, I'm a big Mangini fan and I really like the direction he's taking the Jets. It will make for years of great border war games!

4. steviep

steviep Active Member

I see this being a close game in score -- the Pats normally dont blow people out -- they just beat you.

I'd say Pats 24-10.

I still think we have a cjamce at a good season

5. winstonbiggs

McGinist is gone and Bruschi is hurt isn't he? Givens is out and Branch is gone along with the biggest difference maker the Pats have had for all their SB runs, Vinitari.

6. Sean_in_titletown

Adam Vinatieri won those superbowls with 40 something yard field goals. It just so happened that that's how those games were decided. Last year he missed a big one in Denver and told Belichick he couldn't make a 43 yarder against Jacksonville in rd 1 so he punted on the Jacksonville 26 yard line. Hardly a HUGE loss. He did make the two field goals in the snow Bowl against Oakland in '01 which were two of the toughest kicks of all time. I think, like McGinest, Givens, and now Branch, all lossese are being WAY overplayed. If we ever lose Seymour or Brady than I'll panic...Just not yet.... NE is going to the Bowl again this year. I have very little doubt.

#6 Sean_in_titletown, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2005
  7. GreenMachine

:eek:hmy: WOW....

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

just make sure you dont bury your head in the sand and hide when they dont make it to the SB, and id hate to bust your bubble but this isnt a championship team you have this year....but one can dream right?

9. winstonbiggs

If you think he is done than you're right hardly a huge loss for a team that is on the downswing. If you're implying that he wasn't the best kicker in the league and a huge part of your teams run, I think you're crazy.

10. Sean_in_titletown

He was important yes, but hardly the cornerstone for the tree Lombardi's. I give that nod to Brady. Name a team in the AFC who's the clear favorite for Miami in Feb? There is none.

Denver? Jake the snake... nuff said
    Pitt? Do they really scare me? A little bit.
    Indy? no running game and they can't stop the run.
    SD? they actually scare me a bit.
    Cincy? No defense whatsoever and a locker room full of misfits.

Therfore, I like NE's chances with Brady/Belichick/solid D and a new found running attack. Those are winning ingredients right there my fellow football followers. Tell me I'm wrong.

#10 Sean_in_titletown, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  11. Sean_in_titletown

You could argue that Vinatieri had absolutely nothing to do with 4 of the toughest games they won on way to three Super bowls. The two Pittsburgh AFC cahmpionship games, The two Colts games, and the frigid Tennesee game at gillette stadium. Those were very difficult opponnents that they beat and he had little to no impact in those games... they won those games with defense and Brady.

12. winstonbiggs

I agree the league isn't very good and there is no clear cut great team. That said the Pats are weaker than the team that failed last year not stronger. It's also way to early in the year to assume anything about any of these teams. Baltimore may turn out to have a very solid team, The Bengals D may be vastly improved. SD probably has the most over all talent in the league, I thought they did last year, but hard to tell how Rivers will progress? I never thought Chad would play again and our weak WR group may turn out to be the best in the division?

All we be played out over the next several weeks. The Pats past performance both 2 years ago and last week is no indication of what kind of team the really have.

13. FlyingElvis

FlyingElvis New Member

SD and specifically Marty scare everyone in September. In December it's just his wife that's scared when she realizes he's going to be around the house soon.

14. Green on Kauai

Green on Kauai New Member

I think it will be the play of our OL vs their DL, (esp. with PK as questionable) that will be the difference. If we can give Chad some time to throw, get somewhat of a running game going and protect the football we have a chance.If not it will be along day. I predict our D will come up with a big turnover and we will see a trick play for a big gain from our O. Low scoring game (13-10 JETS) I hope Nugent has fixed his glitch 'cause we will need him to hit big.

my Sunshine prediction (fantasy): we beat the crap out of them like 35-6:pats_suck:

15. Sean_in_titletown

I'm telling you, the Patriots are vastly better than last year. Last year they were with out Bruschi, Harrison, their starting LT and C, and Dillonand Faulk was hobbled all year. They have those players back and they've added Maroney. Wait 'til you get a look at Maroney on sunday. He's big time.

16. Sean_in_titletown

I think that just about wraps it up perfectly. I especially agree with the trick play.

17. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

If Penny stays on his feet and we hold them under 150 yards rushing, the Jets win this game. Our WR corps is better than their DB corps, and our DB corps is better than their WR corps. We just need to contain their running game, as the skies should belong to the Jets on both sides of the ball.

Teams more likely to go to the bowl than the Pats: Bengals, Colts, Steelers, Broncos, and Ravens.

18. winstonbiggs

I know Maroney is big time and other than Seymour and Brady there isn't another player on the Pats that I find particularly scary at the moment.

19. Sean_in_titletown

For those of you who aren't familiar with Maroney and have access to Youtube.com and speakers at your desks....... take a look at this little clip..pay special attention to the run against Wisc around the 2:30 mark..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwBbBY0tf6E

By the way, you've cited some good teams there but I have to respectfully disagree with you.

20. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

And with the receiving 'talent' Brady has around him, he doesn't scare me much either.