Patriots Shopping Mac Jones, would you take him for a 2nd?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JetsFan, Apr 5, 2023.

?

Patriots Shopping Mac Jones, what would you give if we could get him?

1. Swap 2023 1st round picks and give 2024 2nd round pick

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. 2nd round pick in 2023

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. 2nd round pick in 2024

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Offer no higher than a 3rd round pick

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. Pass, I have faith in Wilson turning it around

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Hard Pass on Jones

51 vote(s)
    82.3%
  1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Yes, BB would never trade him to the Jets, but what if?

I liked Jones coming out of Alabama and that was when he was out of shape. I would give up a 2nd for him in a second. Under the right offense he could be a star and his first year was way better than Wilson's. I'm not saying don't get Rogers, but Jones could be the plan B.

Jones had a Defensive coach with no experience calling the plays last year, and they were barely better than the Jets horrible Offense. With a real OC he was the best QB in his draft class in 2021.

The Patriots would like a 1st rounder, but no one will give it. Someone may swap 1st rounders, but a straight up 2nd might be just as appealing as a swap, not that the Patriots would want to deal him to the Jets. The question is not whether the Patriots would deal him to the Jets, but if possible would you want to give a 2nd round pick to get a deal done. Mac has shown way more than Wilson and worse case the Jets could always trade either Jones or Wilson after the season to hopefully recoup the 2nd round pick.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

3. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

He’s not good so why would we do that? We say first hand how bad he was against our D last year

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

C'mon. The Pats are so good now that we're desperate for their cast-offs? Why are they trading him?

7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Ok, let me remind you all about 2021 and Mac Jones as a ROOKIE with a real OC calling plays, and the Jets had the same HC and DC as we do now.
    Sep 19th, 2021, Patriots 25 - Jets 6
    Oct 24th 2021, Pariots 54 - Jets 13
    Patriots Offense ranked 6th in the NFL in PPG in 2021 and had over 6,000 yards of Offense

Last year Jones had a crappy OC who isn't even an offensive guy, and no supporting players, plus he hit the sophmore wall, but nothing like Wilson who was benched many times and killed the Jets season.

ouchy likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He's better than Zach because everyone's better than Zach, but that doesn't mean he's good.

tomdeb, Ralebird, Nyjets4eva and 3 others like this.
  9. dawinner127

Let me remind you that the Patriots went 2-8 (incl playoffs) when the defense allowed more than 14 points. Mac Jones sucks.

tomdeb, Nyjets4eva and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If it were remotely believable that BB would trade us Mac Jones, then it would be very profitable (re: GB and Rodgers) to sniff around Mac Jones.

But in reality, such an obvious smokescreen is just a bad look.

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think he'd be a nice backup to Rodgers, if he could be brought in as a FA.

No to trading a 2nd for him, and no to making him starter.

dmw likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Jets didn't already have Wilson, or they decided to trade him, then maybe he'd be worth a 3rd-4th round pick to be a backup and possible future starter, but I don't think he's really a good fit for the style of offense the Jets want to run either.

Besides, BB will never trade him to the Jets.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Any time you can trade for a QB that the eye test says is below average who also is on the block because Bill Belichick thinks he sucks as a human, you just have to.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Belichick would trade him to the Jets, if the trade is, in his mind favorable, he would trade him to anyone.

This is the same guy that traded Drew Bledsoe to the Bills. The guy they invested a massive contract, in his prime, to play him twice a year.

--
    As for Mac Jones? I think he is better than Jets fans give him credit for. Idk if he's worth sending anything major for but its worth thinking about since we need a QB and havent yet sealed the deal with the expensive 40 year old diva

twown likes this.
  15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

If NE is shopping Mac Jones after 2 years you can bet your ass they’d trade him to the Jets. In fact the Jets would probably be their first choice to ship him. Wouldn’t we be thrilled if we were sending them Zach? Hell, If drive Zach there myself.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

On second thought... I'm wrong. You're right, BN.

I read how the pats were shopping Jones because BB was really upset that Mac had gone outside the organization to seek help for blah blah blah.

Meanwhile...

1. BB realizes he can't win with Mac's ceiling.
    2. Rumors leak that Mac sought advice outside the organization.
    3. The horror! BB is "furious" that Mac is doing this.
    4. BB starts shopping Mac because The Patriots Way.
    5. Suddenly Mac looks to other teams like an ambitious martyr escaping a dungeon..

Good call. I stand corrected.

ouchy likes this.
  17. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Man if the reason for shopping him is because he was trying to better himself Bill is an even bigger asshole than I thought. Such a small tiny man child. Though to answer the original question nah wouldn’t want him. I’d be more ok with Wilson than trading for him. I mean Mac is better but not by much lol

Nyjets4eva, JetFanInNE and ouchy like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The story I heard was he went to Nick Sabin at Alabama and asked if he could advise NE on their offense. The Pats tried to go without an OC last year and it was a train wreck. The problem is Sabin is a former assistant of BB which would irk BB, and it might make NE look like a bad place to go for Bama recruits?

This board thinking a QB isn't good means very little. Jones and Trevor Lawrence have almost the exact same career stats. If we got him for a 3rd or less it would be a steal. But I wouldn't give anything better than a 2024 3rd, and only if it meant we weren't going with Rodgers. In that situation there are even cheaper QBs I'd go for, like Davis Mills. He's been developing in a bad situation and is still showing future promise if he could find a better system. And it doesn't involve helping the pats.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

TL has a very good arm and some real mobility.

Jones is nowhere near as good a QB as he is and very unlikely to get there. Physical differences matter.

dmw and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. dawinner127

I would rather trade the 13th overall for Desmond Ridder.