Patrick Ramsey Q&A

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IslandJET, May 31, 2006.

1. IslandJET

IslandJET Member

It's going to be fun to see how this deal pans out for us....

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/NY+Jets/Features/2006/holbrook053006.htm

Q&A with Jets QB Patrick Ramsey

By Mike Holbrook
    May 30, 2006

Despite a crowded QB situation in New York, Patrick Ramsey seems to have a great opportunity to rehab his stalled NFL career and make the most of his opportunity in the Big Apple.

Ramsey, 27, was acquired by the Jets in a mid-March trade with the Redskins. The cost was a sixth-round pick in the 2006 draft. But the Jets believe the price was well worth it.

Though he fell out of favor with Joe Gibbs and the Redskins? coaching staff, Ramsey has impressed the Jets? coaches and is working hard to prove that all he needed to showcase his first-round talent was a change of scenery.

Entering the final year of the rookie contract he signed after being the 32nd overall pick in the 2002 draft, Ramsey told PFW that he?s hoping to resurrect his career this season and is invigorated by the competitive Jets QB depth chart.

He also talked about the optimistic atmosphere surrounding the rebuilding Jets, particularly the young coaching staff, and the importance of the Saints to the city of New Orleans (where the ex-Tulane star played college ball) this year.

PFW: Do you consider this a fresh start for you?

Ramsey: Without question. This, to me, is the epitome of a fresh start. Obviously, in Chad (Pennington), there?s a guy here who has played a lot who has played here and played well and led the team to some success and the playoffs. You know, it?s a competition with a good competitor ? a guy that?s going to make me better, a guy that I get along with. And, at the same time, it?s an opportunity to play in a new place with a team that I think is going to be successful.

PFW: Is it exciting being in a competition where you?re new and everyone?s learning the same system? Or is there more pressure with that?

Ramsey: Well, I would have to answer that by saying it?s more difficult, obviously, to learn a new offense ? you?d always prefer to have a universal offense on every team where you?d go in and make a smooth transition. But I think that you learn a lot in the process of learning an offense ? that?s definitely been the case this offseason ? and I?m continuing to learn. It is difficult, but at the same time, hopefully it?s worthwhile in the end.

PFW: The offense that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has brought in ? is it a good fit for you? Do you like what you?ve seen of it?

Ramsey: What I?ve seen of it is what everybody?s seen of it ? you know, what San Diego did last year. I do like it. It?s going to be a balanced system where they run the ball and pass the ball effectively and they can do whatever?s necessary the situation calls for to beat the team you?re playing. It?s pretty adaptable, and I do like it very much.

PFW: Having played with Laveranues Coles in Washington, do you guys have a rapport there, and has that helped both of you getting comfortable in the offense?

Ramsey: Yeah, I mean, there are always a few things you can relate from offense to offense, but just having played with a guy like Laveranues and knowing that he?s going to be a big part of what we do, it is comforting going into minicamps and things of that nature knowing that I have thrown to him before and kind of know what to expect from him.

PFW: After coming from a veteran coaching staff in Washington, tell me about the young coaching staff the Jets have in place. Do you see differences as far as the style, the way they go about things?

Ramsey: There is quite a bit of enthusiasm, and they?re really working hard. You know, that?s what you like to see as a player because you know that those coaches are the ones that are going to put you in position to win a football game. They?re going to be studying; they?re going to be calling plays. They?re working so hard and committing so much time to getting things right; and they?re very detail-oriented. That makes it easier as a player and a quarterback, when things are pretty detailed and you have answers and you know where to go and it?s pretty definitive.

PFW: Do you get that feeling some of those young coaches are so close to their playing days that being in the action is still in their blood? That they want to still get out there and play?

Ramsey: I do. I think it?s partly that and it?s partly the fact that they have spent so much time and worked so very hard to get this offense installed and every different call that comes with every different play. You know, to just see it on the field and see the fruits of their labor, I think that?s exciting for those guys, too.

PFW: This offseason, it seems like the Jets went out and got a lot of good-character guys and guys with leadership qualities, like yourself. Is that something the players appreciate? Do you like that direction for the team?

Ramsey: I certainly do. I think that?s important. That?s one thing I saw in Washington that we did that paid dividends. It helped us as a team. I think that they?re doing a very similar thing here. You know, not only are they good-character guys, but they can play. In the end, they have to be able to play. But it is such an added bonus if they are high-character guys and easy to be around and good teammates.

PFW: What goals have you set for yourself this offseason?

Ramsey: Well, I?ve spent quite a bit of time getting my weight where I want it to be, and trying to get my footwork as crisp as I can get it. And now, it?s kind of a transition, now that we?re going to start on the field, and now it?s just trying to run this offense efficiently and try to make sure I make good decisions.

PFW: All of the Jets' quarterbacks ? Chad, Kellen, Brooks and yourself ? are you getting along and helping each other out?

Ramsey: Oh yeah, every day. We?re in the weight room every day together; we?re reading, learning. It?s really been a lot of fun. I had that with Mark Brunell in Washington, and it?s comforting to see that it?s going to be like that here.

PFW: Have you had any experiences with the passionate Jets fans yet? Have they made their presence felt with you yet?

Ramsey: You know, I really haven?t had very many experiences. Obviously, I?m sure I?m going to have many of them once the season starts, but I haven?t had any yet.

PFW: As a Louisiana native and having played in New Orleans for Tulane, how important is it for that region of the country to keep the Saints? Are you happy to see the Saints get Reggie Bush and generate some excitement this offseason?

Ramsey: I really am. I had the opportunity to visit the New Orleans area this past February, and I think they have such a rebuilding process to go through. It?s such a huge task, and there?s so much they have to do, they need something like that down there. They have so far to go, and just to have something to kind of escape from is just huge for the people of that city. I think, in my opinion, you?ll probably see the city really get behind the team in this upcoming year.

2. Chadwick747

Chadwick747 New Member

Not much here.

Man I can't wait for training camp so we can rid ourselves of Jets not-news

3. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

This is the first time I've seen solid confirmation that Schottenhiemer is installing the SD offensive system.

PFW: The offense that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has brought in ? is it a good fit for you? Do you like what you?ve seen of it?

Ramsey: What I?ve seen of it is what everybody?s seen of it ? you know, what San Diego did last year. I do like it. It?s going to be a balanced system where they run the ball and pass the ball effectively and they can do whatever?s necessary the situation calls for to beat the team you?re playing. It?s pretty adaptable, and I do like it very much.

While I expected this, I hope it gets modified some. We don't have a Tomlinson or Gates to carry the offense for us. I hope he takes advantage of the athletisism we now have on the O line, and run some outside stuff with Blaylock and Washington, the speed guys. Schottenheimer had better get a little more creative than what SD ran. We shall see.

4. ThunderbirdJet

Rather than starting a new thread..... I gave this one a 5 star, because it's the first solid, reliable thing I've read ANYWHERE that hints at what the new offense will look like. Thoughts?

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

I'm surprised Mangini let him talk a little about the "O". I mean it wasn't earth shattering news but you can tell Mangini has his hands over everybody's mouth. Everybody in this camp is on the same page while still trying to make the team in some cases. I like it.

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Yes, that was news. But, aside from that one revelation, it made me go searching for a hard-hitting Q&A piece with Milt Plum for excitement.

I confess that I did go all a'tingle when I read that Patrick shares poptarts and milk with Chad and Kellen Clemens every morning, and how he enjoys combing the beach for colorful seashells.

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

I looked everywhere but I couldn't find that reference, are you just making stuff up or what? :smile:

8. ThunderbirdJet

Good.... go back to posting in the BS forum now.

9. Sundayjack

Hmmmm. . . a testy Thunderbird? Interesting.

10. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Mangini is not going to have his hand around their mouth anymore guys the draft has come and passed... That was one of the main reasons for his silence...

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

I guess what I meant was that, so far, nobody has given any real details to their answers. Plain vanilla across the board. The players will talk but wont talk about much as far as injuries and stratagies. Very disciplined with the media and protective of what they are learning. I think we can expect Chad and others with injuries or nicks to be listed as probable and questionable throughout the season like the Pats often do.

12. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

I spotted Ramsey's revelation and had the same reaction as T-bird; it's the first piece of solid information about the offense but, unless you've been tuned into San Diego's offense (I haven't been), it doesn't help too much.

My impression is -- standard pro sets, run to set up the pass on play action. They didn't go deep much, but Brees doesn't have the arm to go deep. There were lots of horizontal passes to LaDainian, but that again could have been an adaptation to personnel rather than a built-in feature of the system. They used a lead-blocking FB and a pass-catching TE, but there's probably no reason those positions couldn't be reversed if you don't have personnel that fit.

Marty's reputation is conservative on offense, but son Brian went to Florida to play QB specifically to find out what Spurrier had going for him, so there may be a more agressive side to his nature than his pop had.

#12 Ramseyfan, Jun 1, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  13. Sundayjack

A cross between Fun 'n Gun and Martyball? Oh dear lord. . .

14. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

i Give it 5 stars as well.

15. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

A staple diet of runs up the middle and random interception sprees. Sounds beautiful.

16. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Apparently chad is throwing well, so don't put all of your chips on Ramsey just yet.

Ramsey isn't very good. He's not going to become good all of a sudden after being in the league for 4 seasons.

17. parafly

parafly New Member

I am in favor of Chad 100%, but don't count Ramsey out just yet. Just look at players like Brees and Gannon. It took them a few years to get settled into the league and succeed. Sometimes all it takes is the right system, and a mediocre/bad QB can turn into a Pro Bowler.

18. ThunderbirdJet

Meh. Bad day. I think I'll go waste the entire day reading every NFL.com game book from SD's 2005 season now. :drunk:

19. Martin&theJETS

:rofl2: :rofl2:

20. Martin&theJETS

thats gotta be boring.