Patrick Ramsey (In Depth Analysis)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by arsenal1189, Mar 24, 2006.

1. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

Analysis of Patrick Ramsey’s Skill Set
    **Note: This was a post I originally posted on the JI website. For those who have seen it before, I apologize...

Patrick Ramsey
    Position: Quarterback
    College: Tulane
    Height: 6-2 ½
    Weight: 225
    Hometown: Ruston, La.

With the acquisition of Patrick Ramsey from the Washington Redskins, the Jets find them selves with a multifarious and potent player. I was not a very big Ramsey supporter and I truly never knew much about him other than a few clips on Sports Center and a few comments by my friends at Washington. So I did some research, watched some videos, read some analysis from well lauded persons in the NFL business.

Before I start, this is how I grade a quarterback. I am sure many of you have seen this before, but here it goes again so I make it clear where I stand.

I analyze Quarterback’s with the following requirements in mind:

*The higher on the list, the more I value this asset

1. Pass Accuracy
    2. Pass Velocity
    3. Pass Strength
    4. Ability to Read Defenses
    5. Awareness (of Pass-Rush)
    6. Intangibles (Leader, Reaction to pressure situations)
    7. Mechanics
    8. Height
    9. Collegiate/Pro Production (Win-Loss Record, Surrounding Talent, Injury Record)
    10. Weight

For my more in-depth analysis of how I grade a Quarterback, click here:

In-Depth Quarterback Analysis

I hope this clears up some of the questions surrounding Ramsey’s career, potential, strengths, and weaknesses.

1. Patrick Ramsey has great accuracy when given time in the pocket. Has the ability to hit a man deep down the field on either shoulder. He throws with good accuracy underneath and can really rocket the pass between two defenders over the middle, something I have not seen in a NY Jet Quarterback in a long time. In fact, his annual completion percentage has gone up since 2002 by 10%. He usually completes around 60% of all his balls which is pretty decent for all the criticism he is given. He makes sure the ball will get to his receiver but has trouble judging the burst of acceleration of current cornerbacks. He has yet to transition into the speed of both his receivers and opposing cornerbacks. Has the ability to hit people on the move. He also aims for receiver’s numbers which is good but will lead to a bunch of dropped passes because of the congested area the player can catch the ball and will occasionally lead to body catches.

2. Patrick Ramsey has a shotgun on his right hand. He can rocket the ball towards his receivers. Great velocity on his deep tosses and really can get the ball where he wants to with little time passed. He does have a problem of gunning short passes which leads to a number of dropped balls. Definitely has the tools

3. Over-rated really, but Ramsey can throw the deep ball with accuracy. Just watch the video below with all his deep passes to Coles.

4. He is very good and going through his progressions and can find secondary targets all around the field when not rushed. Very smart player who earned one of the most prestigious awards in the nation when he was named a National Football Foundation/College Football Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete, one of sixteen players nationwide, in 2001.

5. TERRIBLE. This is why Ramsey has been labeled with a bust status all his years. He has a torrid time judging the rush and by no means is mobile enough to elude the rush and flush out of the pocket. Has a very suspect back pedal and gets to the vantage point very slowly. He needs to be more patient with the blitz and definitely has to improve his impulsive nature. He lofts a few balls when pressured too much leading to picks. In his three pro seasons, he has amassed huge sack numbers. 23 sacks in his rookie season while 30 in his next season. Ramsey had been sacked in 2003 more than any other Quarterback for his stint at QB. He has to learn to cope under pressure (as in the rush and not as in big game pressure). He is also very slow and predictable in his running and cannot make plays with his legs. Ran a slower 40 yard dash (5.24) than I did (4.87) and I just turned 16 years if age. He is also fumbles often when hit. He has small hands (10"). Mel Kiper Jr. had this to say about Ramsey:

"Questions remain about Ramsey's mobility. He still needs to prove that he's not just a statue in the pocket. He must show enough maneuverability to avoid an initial pass rush, stay away from the sack and create some opportunities when things break down."

6. Great intangibles and is a leader for his team. He is a very tough player who takes the hit when he can get a completion in the process. Ramsey commands the respect of his teammates as well. In fact, Ramsey plays better football when behind. Troy Aikman had this to say:

“He has played some of his best football when Washington is behind. This is remarkable because most quarterbacks post better numbers when they're playing with a lead. When you're behind, teams know you're going to throw and your numbers normally aren't as good. This tells you that the times that Washington has needed Ramsey to play well the most, he has delivered.”

7. Great over the top mechanics and he shows good weight transfer, stepping into his throw. Good spiral and has a great arc on his deep passes making the receiver pluck the ball out of the air with ease. Has a good snap and release in his throws snapping his wrist down ferociously.

8. Has decent height for a Quarterback. Not the prototypical 6’4” but can get it done and 6”2-6’3”

9. Not the greatest. Very inconsistent but has showed promise.

10. Good weight and 225 lbs. Great broad shoulders and as I said before, can take a hit.

Patrick Ramsey has all the potential in the world but has to learn how to fuse those great measurables into one complete package. This is no easy task as many players have the same skill set as Ramsey. He is a possible long shot as a starter and will compete.

Links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ZrWRoaOZk
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/ramsey_patrick.htm
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6703754
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/QB_analysis.html#c
    http://www.rtsports.com/php/draft-guide-player.php?PN=10037
    http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302216
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/multimedia/index.php (Good video against the Jets, scroll down)
    http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=NFLfilmClips2003 (Good video against the Patriots, scroll down)
    http://www.giants.com/multimedia/PreviousSeasons.asp (Good video against the Giants, scroll down)

Thoughts?

#1 arsenal1189, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  2. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

I think we got ourselves a good young QB with a huge upside.

IMO it's like we drafted a rookie (same concerns apply), but one who won't have to get used to the speed of the NFL. This guy could definately answer all our questions at this position.

3. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I haven't seen enough of him, honestly, to say if you're on or not. I know some folks on this board think he is only backup material; it seems from your analysis that the areas where he is deficient are areas that can be coached up. I really think there's no risk for the Jets here, and I'd like to see what he could do if he gets some protection from his O-line and support from his HC.

4. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Funny. I thought Pennington's speciality was accurate passes over the middle.

5. JETSJETS

JETSJETS Member

I agree he is able to make any throw on the field. All we have to do is surround with with a better O line, the recievers are good enough to get the job done but we could use a talented guy like V Davis at the TE spot, if we come out of the draft with Mangold, Davis and one of the running backs like (williams, Maroney, addai, white we could really have a decent season next year.

6. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

well, he did say "rocket"

7. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

the biggest issue with Patrick Ramsey is his ability or lack thereof to come through when under the pressure of a rush. any quarterback can throw downfield with no pressure...and the difference between good and bad is usually how well a QB withstands or understands the defensive pass rush...

IMO Ramsey is a smaller, shorter version of Vinny Testeverde...great arm, immobile passer, who can kill you when he has time but will give it up when under pressure.

8. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Well based on his 2003 stats under Spurrier (where he saw his most extensive playing time), he was sacked 30 times in 11 starts and threw for 2166 yards, 14tds (9picks) and had a completion percentage of 53.1%. 75.8 qb rating.

He saw MASSIVE pressure and put up pretty good numbers for a second year QB who only saw the field 5 times his rookie season.

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I still think we need to build a strong, powerful, pass-protecting OL, and allow Ramsey to show us what he has. His only glaring weakness is how he buckles under pressure. When he has time in the pocket, he has shown tremendous motion, great accuracy, and a bullet arm. The tools are there, he just needs help up front.

10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

sounds like a young version of bledsoe....we shall see....

11. JETSJETS

JETSJETS Member

its easy to knock a guy for folding under pressure but when your line doesnt give you any protection its hard to look good

12. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Seriously. Lets give the guy a chance and see what he can do with a little tutelage.

13. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Nice post, thanks for the insight, I really hope all his strengths show through and that we can give him the support to become succesful, I am not on the bandwagon yet, but I am damn happy we have him to compete with Pennington, and a new regime that will actually give him a chance, unlike that last car-wreck FO

14. cowboyup

cowboyup New Member

Love the analysis - only neg comment is that he does not have small hands - I look at his predraft stats and 10" hands are considered large - compare Jason Campbells at 9 1/4. FYI - J Campbell 1st Wonderlic = 16......

15. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

I think the original poster did a remarkably good job working with second-hand information. Most of the comments were right on the money IMO.

I'm a Redskin fan who has seen every snap Patrick has taken when they were firing real bullets. I'll share my impressions:

Suggestion: It would help if you expressed the weight you give as a percentage. I was particularly curious about the accuracy/velocity numbers. I make it 60/40 with accuracy on top. I'd grade Patrick this way:

Velocity...he gets an A. He throws consistently tight spirals, easy to catch despite the velocity. In his first year, he threw his short passes too hard but that problem is history. He doesn't throw the fade patterns well but he has excellent touch in the red zone throwing to big receivers who can use their bodies to screen off defenders.

Short Range accuracy...A
    Intermediate Range Accuracy...B
    Long Range Accuracy...C

Patrick overthows deep balls too often. He tends to gun some of his intermediate range passes a tad high...especially early in the game until he settles. Once he settles in, his greatest strength is in making the intermediate-range throws especially from the shotgun.

Ramsey is a pocket passer with good mobility on planned rollouts. Oddly, he seems to have more success rolling left.

Very quick feet in taking his drops. Taking a series of simultaneous snaps in training camp with Mark Brunell, Ramsey took seven-step drops and had the pass away on slant patterns before Brunell could get his arm cocked.

He looks like a choirboy but he is very tough mentally and physically.

When young QBs gain some experience, are protected, and have a decent supporting cast to work with, many of their supposed failings magically disappear (this is particularly true of pocket passers).

Patrick was the Redskins best QB for three years running (2002 - 4). He won the starting job over Spurrier favorites, ex-Gators...Weurfel and Matthews. He also won the job from Mark Brunell in 2004. Starting the last seven games of the 2004 season, Patrick played solidly in the toughest part of our schedule, going 3-4 against teams that were a combined 63-49.

But Ramsey is a "gunslinger"...a coach has to weigh production versus interceptions. Joe Gibbs doesn't do gunslingers.

I think the Jets have acquired a QB who is just about to emerge as a first-rate starter if given some protection and support. My hope is that Chad returns 100% so that there is a good, fair competition for the starter's job.

16. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

Not all second hand. I have watched him play. I was down at Washington two times for pre season games in 03 and 04. Also watched the Jet opener....A majority of this analysis is actually first hand. But thanks for the compliments.... :)

#16 arsenal1189, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  17. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

I didn't read every word of this, but to me it comes down to one thing, confidence. It is a huge factor at the QB position. Have the Redskins killed this kids confidence completely? If they have, he's done.

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Ramsey was a good signing

19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

he has a great upside with the jets

20. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

That's why a change of scenery might be exactly what he needs, other than a good offensive line.