Packers Waive LT Jason Spriggs with an Injury designation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 7, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...ason-spriggs-claim-rb-keith-ford-off-waivers/

The Green Bay Packers have given up on offensive tackle and former second-round pick Jason Spriggs.

The team waived Spriggs with an injury designation on Tuesday, clearing a roster spot for running back Keith Ford, who was claimed off waivers from the Indianapolis Colts.

Spriggs, a backup offensive tackle, has been sitting out of training camp practices with a trapezius injury. He’ll now be available for the other 31 NFL teams to claim on the waiver wire.

Former Packers general manager Ted Thompson moved up in the second round to take Spriggs at No. 48 overall in the 2016 draft. He played in 36 games and made nine starts over three seasons.

An athletic lineman coming out of Indiana, Spriggs never developed into a starting-caliber player in Green Bay. He often struggled to hold up in pass protection under former coach Mike McCarthy and clearly hasn’t impressed new coach Matt LaFleur early in 2019.

Spriggs is still young, mobile, and could still develop. Anyone think he's worth taking a flier on?

2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing the need for a guy who underachieved when healthy and is not healthy.

LogeSection2RowJ and PabloJa like this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I really liked him coming out. Shame he didn’t amount to much.

wewantsapp, Jets69 and NYJalltheway like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I agree. He's still young, however, and sometimes with football players it's getting in the right system with the right coach. Maybe he couldn't adjust to the philosophy that the Packers' OL coach has and all the passive-aggressiveness between Rodgers and McCarthy didn't help. I don't think it could hurt to bring him in for a work out and give him a shot for a week or so. If he could develop into a good backup, it would be worth it imo, but it's possible that he could still become a quality starter.

It's not like we're so loaded and deep at the tackle position.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'd take a flier. What's the latest waiver order?

6. NCJetsfan

AFAIK we're still #3 after the Cardinals and Niners.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We claimed Alex Brown from Philly a few days ago. Not sure if that changes things..

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

No I think it stays the same through training camp at least - based on last year’s records. The Jets will have third choice - I’m not sure if that lasts through the entire season.

That being said I remember Jason Spriggs. I’m sure if he’s worth a look Douglas will be on him if available.