Ozy's Way Too Early 3 Round Mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

As of now we are picking 5th overall, I'd expect us to move down to 4th if we keep playing the way we do. We also could win a few games and drop down, but for the sake of this mock I'll keep us at 5.

Now at pick 5, fans are going to be clamoring for a QB. Fitzpatrick took his money and ran, Petty had one start and is still very green and Hackenberg hasn't been active all year (I think?) but IMO this is not the year to take a QB this high. I could definitely see us going after someone like Romo if he's made available or another veteran. I fully believe the Jets FO thinks Hackenberg is their guy and they are going to take their time with him.

I'm not gonna speculate on cuts or trades because that's all fantasy really and nearly impossible to gauge the value. But I will say, Ryan Clady will be gone. Revis will be gone if he doesn't take a pay cut (or he could just retire). I have a feeling Brandon Marshall may be a surprise retire but I hope he sticks around.

Anyway, rambling over onto the mock.

1. Jabrill Peppers (Everywhere, Michigan)
    - a lot of people here will hate this pick. What do I mean by "everywhere"? Quite simply really, Peppers has played everywhere CB, LB, S, QB, RB and also does KR. He's one of the most exciting college prospects to watch and is by all means a safe pick for the Jets. Bowles drafted Deone Buchanan at Arizona a few years ago who was similar to Peppers, he was a safety but Bowles made him a LB. Peppers is much more athletic than Deone and not too mention a fantastic tackler (something we do badly) so Bowles will love Jabrill, don't expect him to get many INT's he is no ball hawk. Peppers is a phenomenal all around talent that would boost our terrible secondary.

2. Quincy Wilson (CB, Florida)
    - secondary again? Yes. Our secondary has been abysmal this year, there is no defending any of them. They give up huge plays, don't make any plays on the ball, don't tackle, don't communicate, don't do anything. Quincy Wilson is a very solid CB prospect, who could very well be taken in the first. What stands out to me is his huge frame (6'1, 218 lbs) and has the speed to cover and be physical with opposing receivers. Another problem we have is that our corners are too small. Wilson could immediately be placed into the corner 1 role, if Revis takes a paycut I like him as corner 2.

3. Dede Westbrook (WR, Oklahoma)
    - I know what your thinking, no RB or OL so far, Ozy are you crazy? Forte can still go and I'd be all in on giving the job to Powell if he can't. I expect we will go after OL in FA, need to find a replacement for Clady. Anyway, another receiver? Yes. You can never go wrong with too much offensive talent. We have a bunch of receivers right now making plays. Enunwa has been great, Anderson stepping up in Decker's absence. Devin Smith is still a question mark as is Jalin Marshall (but he has made some plays). Dede will turn this offense on its end. Burner speed, great hands, deep threat. A perfect fit for a Gailey offense (depending on if he's still here). I think he would be a steal in round 3, he could go earlier but I think round 3 is a safe bet for him.

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Absolutely dislike it. I would immediately call for this entire franchise to be disbanded if they pulled something like this.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Peppers is a reincarnation of Desmond Howard, do we really want the jets to draft another Desmond Howard with the 5th overall pick?

I'm sure that by the time the draft rolls around there will be some Offensive Linemen that will start distinguishing themselves from the rest and the jets should have an opportunity to address that need.

#3 Red Menace, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think this would be a terrible draft, not because the individual players you took aren't talented, they are, but because too many high picks have already been used on defense over the last 10 years, it ignores our biggest area of need (aside from QB), Peppers has no position, and the Jets took Lee last year that somewhat fits the Bucannon mold. In addition, I hope that Bowles is nowhere near this franchise next season. If Mac were to take DBs with his first two picks, then I'd probably want him gone as well.

The secondary definitely needs help, but not the first two picks. Since this isn't a great draft for OTs, I could understand our first pick being either a DB or OLB maybe, but not our first two picks. Unless this is a historically bad draft for OL, there has got to be an OL worthy of being our 2nd round pick.

I don't think the team needs another WR, and shouldn't use a pick there. They need a TE and could use another RB, preferably a power back, but if not, one with some serious speed would be in order. Forte is older, not that fast, and at this stage of his career, I'm not sure that he could start for another team in the NFL. Powell isn't a starter type. The Jets need another RB. Who knows if Khiry Robinson will be able to give them anything this coming season.

5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

If we didn't take Darron Lee last year the pick for Peppers could maybe be justified in the middle of the 1st round. A top 10 pick on Peppers and I'd smash my TV.

boozer32 and Red Menace like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

unless peppers playing tackle (either side) this is not good. i get bpa but with a top 5 pick, a gadget player isn't value.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And defense/defense in the first two rounds would be an absolute disaster. We've tried building brick walls of a defense in taking 4 defensive ends in 5 years, and corners and all that jazz. It hasn't worked in 15 years.

We've drafted 5 offensive players in the first round since 2001. Santana Moss, Dustin Keller, D'Brickashaw & Mangold in the same year, and Marky Sanchez. We haven't drafted an offensive player in the first round since Sanchez following the 2008 season (2009 draft).

Maybe we go the other way for once and try to build a juggernaut of an offense this time around. We might actually be on to something with these young receivers.

I'd also cut near every vet possible (Revis, Harris, Clady, Giacomini, possibly Gilchrist) except for Decker & Marshall. One way or another we're going to be playing a relatively young quarterback. Keep their big time targets around. Make shift defenses with good pass-rushers CAN work in this league.

Freddy Mondo, NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  8. FJF

the last time we were truly a threat in the afc was when we had the best o line in the game. i don't understand why we wouldn't replicate that. i'd have no problem with ozzy's 2nd round pick if it was the wedged between 2 tackles. build the line and the offense will come

Red Menace and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'd have absolutely no problem if this entire draft went to the offensive side of the ball.

This draft would be a disaster of epic proportions. Peppers I love but he can not be drafted by the Jets with a top 5 pick, no way no how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. FJF

i'd love to come out with 2 starting o lineman and home run threat rb.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  11. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Yeah but that was also when we had the best corner in the game in his prime shutting down half the field on defense. I do agree though. Build the wall...of an offensive line

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Something about taking Peppers wreaks of a move we'd make. Then let's take an undersized 240 pound edge rusher in the second and have a full defense of hybrid defenders with no position.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

As much as that wreaks same old Jets, I don't see Mac picking a gadget player with the 5th pick. I trust him, I can see a CB being taken with the 5th pick though.

I would like an Offensive lineman but if there isn't one at that spot, CB or OLB if there.

#13 Red Menace, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  14. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

This draft is really weak on offense guys it sucks cause id love a heavy OLine draft but i don't see it happening now with group of guys available, no problem really with the mock (u kinda beat me to cause I've been working on my own lol) But yeah i just don't like Peppers pick cause i see him as SS Landon Collins type and since we already have Pryor and Lee kinda rather see us go in another direction.

15. Nesquik

Our DBs suck though, i can't honestly see any of CBs or Ss getting extended past their contracts. Pryor is meh, Gilchrist should be cut along with Revis and Skrine is a nickleback. So thats our entire starting secondary right there, heck if we don't draft CBs high next year id be pissed especially when you start to look at the prospects in this draft. CB and S are some of the strongest position groups. On Offense the QBs available maybe all time bad, RB is extremely strong but then when you look at the WRS and Lineman available, its so disappointing especailly O-Lineman that id have no problem going defense high again because thats where the talent is.

ajax and wewantsapp like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

We can stand pat at receiver right now. Cam Robinson and Mike McGlinchey both project to be top 15 picks. After that there is a large drop off, but there's a lot of value in the mid rounds. Roderick Johnson from Florida State was once thought of to be a first round pick as well although his stock has fallen.

If we can turn a second round pick into a quality starting right tackle we're in good shape.

Nesquik likes this.
  17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Well okay then!

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with your premise of drafting to the strength of the draft. If this is truly a great draft for DBs, then the Jets should double dip (maybe 1 & 3 or 2 & 4), just not with their #1 and #2 picks, however. I think much of the fan base would lose it if we took a DB #1 and #2.

I also agree that Gilchrist and Revis should be cut. They can't cut Skrine for another year as they'd lose cap space. I haven't made up my mind on Pryor yet. He looked really good last year, but not this season. He still takes bad angles and isn't good in coverage, but has shown ability as an in-the-box safety. We really need to get something out of him since we passed on Teddy Bridgewater to take him.

What do you think about Burris? I think he has shown some potential.

Nesquik likes this.
  19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

This is spot on. Maccagnan doesn't, nor should he, care what the organization & previous GMs have done. He's not responsible for the Kyle Wilson & Dee Milliner draft picks. This draft is very heavy with CBs & weak at the OT. And with the state of the secondary (as explained above), - expect a 1st & possibly 2nd rounder used in the secondary.

Nesquik likes this.
  20. Nesquik

I think for DBs its such a hard position early on, so supremely difficult to play it these days that u can't judge them for awhile. U look at a guy like Landon Collins he was probably the worst safety in the league last year. High 2nd round pick and looked like a bust, but now he's all pro player this year. Thats why i was so willing to be patient and and let Pryor develop before i judged him critically. Well its year 3 and now its go time, he still isn't making plays he regressed and taken a step back. I didnt love the pick at the time if you ask me what the least important position on Defense to me no question its SS. They passed on 2 QBs Derek Carr and Teddy Bridgewater and wow saying that out loud hurts like hell because Carr is such a beast now. Macrus Williams is a great 4th corner, cause he can just ball hawk but who can't cover worth a damn. Skrine gets beat wayyy to much for my taste and Burris if u say he's looked good great but i honestly haven't seen him that much to judge, i hope you're right because he has great size and if we can turn that into something at such a critical position I'm all for it.

ajax and NCJetsfan like this.