Ozymandias' 2015 NFL Mock Draft 2.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Once again no free agency moves, but I hope to address OLB and CB there.

Here is how I see the first couple of picks before us:

Tampa Bay -- Jameis Winston
    Philadelphia -- Marcus Mariota
    Jacksonville -- Danny Shelton
    Oakland -- Leonard Williams
    Washington -- Shane Ray
    Atlanta -- Dante Fowler
    Chicago -- Amari Cooper

Let me explain, I believe Philly will do whatever it takes to move up. They will not trade with Washington and they will not risk Mariota being on the board when we pick.

I have Shelton going before Williams because I think he will have a better combine. Every time I watch him he stands out, his stock will rise come April.

The other trade between us and ATL is an obvious one. ATL needs a premier pass rusher and Ray going right before us forces their hand. It's tough to pass on Cooper but the deal is far too sweet for the Jets not too take.

ATL sends their 2015 second and fourth round picks to us.

Let's begin:

1. Ereck Flowers (OT, Miami) -- sorry for stealing your thunder WW85, but you and I are in agreeance here. I believe Flowers to be the top OL prospect in this class. The OL needs to be shored up, it isn't a sexy pick, but a pick that makes the most sense.

2a. Jaelen Strong (WR, Arizona St) -- I think Harvin will be cut so drafting someone to replace him would be ideal. Strong has a great pair of hands, runs crisp routes and has the size and speed to win deep and catch contested balls.

2b. Garrett Grayson (QB, Colorado St) -- a QB will be drafted somewhere in this draft and that is a guarantee. I fully expect the Jets to also sign a veteran QB and get a legitimate competition going. Grayson is a leader on the field, good size for the position, instincts and a solid arm to boot. He does have a slow delivery though, but that can be tinkered with.

3. Laken Tomlinson (OG, Duke) -- Laken is a name that has been coming up a lot more due to the Senior Bowl. I think fixing the OL early on is very important, I'm also hoping Dozier will get some playing time this year. Anyway, Tomlinson's bread and butter is his run blocking ability. He dominates 1v1's pretty easily. One con about him I've noticed is he falls down quite a bit, another thing that could be fixed.

4a. Trey Flowers (DE, Arkansas) -- Flowers pass rushing ability isn't the best but his gigantic wingspan is what has me marveling him. He excels in stopping the run, Bowles can teach this kid up and strikes me as a guy he would love in this draft.

4b. Clive Walford (TE, Miami) -- Walford's name is one that has been making the rounds as well. He's a great route runner for a guy his size but he is more of a blocking TE for Miami. He's an immediate upgrade over Cumberland and a nice compliment to Amaro. He is also a good run blocker, which is a theme here in my mock.

5. Tyler Lockett (WR, Kansas St) -- if your going to scrap Percy Harvin might as well draft someone who can play like him, and is cheaper. Lockett is fast, he is also perfect for the type of offense Gailey will run, not too mention we will finally have a capable kick returner. A position we have been missing since Brad Smith. I chose to double dip at receiver, because you can never have too many and it has been an issue for us for years. Also, Kerley hasn't done anything significant since signing his extension.

6. --pick traded to Seattle in Harvin deal--

7. Tyler Varga (FB, Yale) -- I love this kid. He's a hard nosed runner that is a handful to tackle. He's a HUGE upgrade over Connor because he can actually run block. Varga is also not a bad runner in his own right, I like him in goal line scenarios.

Any questions or concerns feel free to ask, I'll probably make my next one after the combine or just wait until April.

2. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Nice job man. If it were to play out like this, Id take Gregory over Flowers but thats just me. I hope Sheltons stock shoots up before the draft, he could be good trade bait or could push Cooper/Gregory down to us.

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

That seems like a steal if the Falcons want to give up their 2nd and 4th round picks to move up 2 spots in the 1st. The trade value chart isn't commensurate.

1.6 = 1600

1.8 = 1400
    2.8 = 500
    4.8 = 86

The Falcons giving us their 3rd seems more realistic (225 pts).

I like the mock other than taking 2 OL in the 1st 3 rounds, particularly the OG in the 3rd. I'd much rather take a CB there.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Good job overall.

I am not on the Flowers bandwagon just yet.

Assuming he is the best OL prospect available, is he really the chosen one at LT or could we move down further and still get one almost as good?

I would like Grayson but there is so much talent available in round two he just seems like a huge double fisted reach to me where you are taking him.

The top seven picks and the trades make sense but I think Atlanta's # 2 is the most we get so the additional fourth rounder would be awesome if we could pull it off.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  5. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

A few things stood out to me here...

Why would Chicago draft a WR? That's like... the one position they are rock solid on.

With the awful OL Atlanta has, questions at RB, still no TE, secondary etc... I think Atlanta has way too many holes to move up two spots to take Fowler with three picks when Gregory and Dupree are still on the board in addition to MFJr.

Walford I think is much more likely to go in the second round than the first. He actually has terrific hands and is a good route runner. I saw him play against Nebraska and he looked like the best TE in the draft that game. His senior bowl performance didn't do anything to hurt that perception.

Lockett is long gone by the fifth. Probably a second or third rounder.

Tomlinson I think is a good pick for a power blocking scheme, and Flowers has pass rush talent for sure... good spot to take both of them.

While I think Strong would be a good pick if he's available there, and it seems like he might be, he is not a great route runner. I think if he was he'd be in the conversation with Parker and White (neither of which are terrific route runners either, btw). His strengths are definitely what else you mentioned, getting downfield and winning one-on-one matchups with size and strength. Those are similar qualities to what Jeffrey showed in college.

JMO.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The only real reason I can see Chicago taking a WR is because Marshall is set to become a free agent and I don't think they can afford his contract.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Easily taking Gregory over Flowers. That's a no-brainer IMO. Grayson? Not a huge fan of the QBs after Winston

8. Ozymandias

I saw something a few weeks back saying the Bears will part ways with Marshall, haven't heard anything else on the matter but it seems like it would happen with their new regime.

I don't think Lockett is a day 2 pick as of right now. There is about 15 other receivers I would put ahead of him, but with the combine coming up he could show out and change that.

You could be right about Walford, he was the only pick I was skeptical about being there. End of R2-mid R3 seems more likely, plus the Canes have a rich history of NFL TE's.

I had ATL move up for Fowler because I think Quinn when he gets hired would want a premiere pass rusher, they could wait and get Dupree, but like I said Ray going right before us will force their hand. They could even take Randy Gregory with a trade up. Also Quinn knows Fowler from his days in Florida. Also no CB, RB or TE is worth the 6th overall pick in this draft, that is why I went pass rusher for them.

#8 Ozymandias, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  9. Ozymandias

I'm not either but I think we will take one somewhere.

10. Ozymandias

Tough to say right now, if we traded down further maybe La'el Collins will be there. I see him as a RT though, a few NFL execs think he will be a guard. Scherff will most likely be a guard.

I wouldn't say I reached with Grayson, he's most likely the consensus no. 3 QB in the class, it is a good landing spot for him.

11. JACKSONVILLE JET

I use those 2 4's and move back into the 3rd and get Grayson.

12. Ozymandias

He won't be there in the third.

13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

no to grayson

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

We had Garrett Grayson.

His name was Kellen Clemens.

He was beat out by Mark Sanchez.

Please God no.

_

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the bears just gave marshall an extension last year and they dont save much by cutting him ... they have huge holes on the d-line, at linebacker, and at safety. i dont see them drafting a receiver

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Trade downs are always nice, but I just can't see Atlanta moving up two spots and giving up two high picks for Dante Fowler especially since in this scenario Randy Gregory is still on the board. So I think this is idealistic, but putting that aside now...

I like the Ereck Flowers pick. Great thing is he wouldn't need to be forced into action early. Nice opportunity to build the offensive line for the future.

Strong would be a nice pickup, but I'm not sure he'd be there.

I think Grayson has some good qualities, but he seems like a reach in the 2nd round the more I look into him.

I like the way the rest of the draft plays out all in all, but at this point in the process, I question whether some of those guys will be around

17. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

First time I've seen a mock where we "pick 2 Flowers"...............get it?
    Anyway,....I like shoring up the OL. I f--king hate Breno G. & it might be time to look into D'Brick's replacement.
    I look at Tomlinson & I see Larry Warford and/or Damien Woody.
    Would love Jalen Strong with the 2nd. Sorry but not a fan of Grayson in the 2nd. I'd be possibly interested in the 4th round.
    I think you're on to something with the Lockett/Percy Harvin idea.

No drafted fullbacks please. Thats my general policy. Good job Ozy. Where is your list of FAs?? It would fill-in the blanks.

18. Ozymandias

I didn't include a list because it's hard to predict. But I'm hoping we sign an OLB like Jason Worilds, a CB or two and I think we will get CJ Spiller.

19. Ozymandias

Brandon Marshall's Bears future in question, per Rotoworld. States "nobody knows" if he will be back.

Cooper was BPA at that pick. Factoring in losing Marshall, imo it makes the most sense seeing is how the Bears don't have another capable receiver other than Alshon Jeffrey.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Horrible trade. The Jets need a WR and they need an OLB/pass rusher. With both Fowler and Cooper on the board, I'd be royally pissed if they passed up on either, even if they would add an additional 2nd and 4th round picks, and I'm one who in general is all for trade downs, and the Jets get a wealth in picks in return. To cap it off, I don't like your early picks. Again, I don't like Flowers in the first round, at least not now. LT is a definite need, so I could definitely change my mind on him as I see film of him. I'm not very high on Jaelen Strong, but he could be ok. I need to see more film on him. Grayson is definitely not worth a 2nd round pick. At best, he will be a JAG QB or career backup. A wasted pick imo, especially for giving up Cooper or Fowler. No thanks. I love the Laken Tomlinson, Clive Walford, Tyler Lockett and Tyler Varga picks, but with the most important picks, I think you missed the boat entirely. I'll be surprised if Varga lasts to the 7th round, but he would be an absolute steal there.

I almost forgot, why would Chicago draft Cooper? WR is already a strength on their team. Their OL is pretty bad. If Flowers is what you and others think, I believe they would grab Flowers.