Outstanding Rex Interview

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jul 31, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Probably it's a darksider in me doing all these evil things, but...

I always seem to spot a flaw to crow upon.

During the interview, I caught the glimpse of QB drills - and there was a scene where Sanchez delivered the ball low, forcing Holmes to make a shoestring catch, and fall down after probably 4-5 yard YAC.

First and foremost, when I was taught of quarterbacking, I was taught to deliver the ball ABOVE THE WAIST AT ALL TIMES. This is because 1. it translates to easy motion transition from catch to run, giving you a good chance for YACs and 2. if the ball is delivered below waist, the WR has to do extra work just to secure the ball, promptly killing any chance he might have had in breaking open for a big gain.

I am certain that Sanchez was taught the same thing - and, on top of that, it is a practice situation, without any defender on either. Thus, I have to wonder why these small flaws are recurring.

3. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Devil's Advocate: Could be practicing throwing to space "where only the receiver can get it"

4. Will_Barcells

Will_Barcells New Member

''Probably it's a darksider in me doing all these evil things, but...

I always seem to spot a flaw to crow upon.

During the interview, I caught the glimpse of QB drills - and there was a scene where Sanchez delivered the ball low, forcing Holmes to make a shoestring catch, and fall down after probably 4-5 yard YAC.

First and foremost, when I was taught of quarterbacking, I was taught to deliver the ball ABOVE THE WAIST AT ALL TIMES. This is because 1. it translates to easy motion transition from catch to run, giving you a good chance for YACs and 2. if the ball is delivered below waist, the WR has to do extra work just to secure the ball, promptly killing any chance he might have had in breaking open for a big gain.

I am certain that Sanchez was taught the same thing - and, on top of that, it is a practice situation, without any defender on either. Thus, I have to wonder why these small flaws are recurring."

What a profound analysis. I always thought you wanted to throw the ball at the receivers feet in an attempt to force them to fall down and gain as little yardage as possible.

5. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that this is the internal, Woody paid for, Jets equivlant of state television in North Korea interview.

That being said, love what he's got to say about Mo, Cro, and Demario. /poetanddidntknowit.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Were you taught that in high school? Did you have a receiver like Holmes playing with you? Diving catches are a big part of the game. In the 2009 playoffs, Peyton killed us with low passes, because their receivers were fully capable of catching them and it was the only way to beat our secondary.

Great thread and awesome interview.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If the ball was thrown into the dirt, clearly it had to be a Tebow throw. Mark is the starting QB and would never do this.

8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

are we really going to derail from the point which is the interview (and a good one) based on a snippet of a low throw in training camp which very well may have been part of a drill, by then citing a high school lesson on quarterbacking? Are we now saying we have better fundamentals at QB than an NFL QB? Are we saying our QB coach isn't understanding how to teach our QB's how to throw a mechanically sound football?

we are better than this. :)

9. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Brady actually made a comment a couple days ago about how he throws low in certain situations, at the goal line in particular.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Makes sense. At the goal line, the receiver is not looking to (as previously stated) "break it open for a big gain." Outside of fade routes, it's pretty much connect-the-dots.