Our oline is the reason Mac should be gone at end of season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Oct 1, 2018.

1. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Aside from the trade for Darnold , which I do believe will bear long term fruit , our Gm complete inability to build an average oline to protect its QB should see him fired.
    We wouldn’t spend the $$ on the top centers or tackles in FA , yet blew it on the glorified need of a shutdown corner( not that he actually is that ).
    Not one high draft pick used on oline , it truly is criminal.

Tanny for his numerous faults built us the best oline since the 70s by overpaying ( faneca) and drafting core players , this GM seems oblivious to its need. It started with the luxury pick of Williams and 3 years later we are nowhere nearer replacing Brick, Mangold etc.
    Of all the things that pissed me off last night seeing our QB being flattened by a basic 4 man rush , was the cherry on the shit cake.

2. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment about the O line.

They need to fix that O line though. This group can't stop four rushers from collapsinf the pocket. They make every blitz look like a jailbreak. It's ridiculous. The main concern the Jets should have is how this will affect Darnold long-term. Getting NFL reps is only valuable if you can do something with those reps. So if you've got to throw it away instantly or get squashed by two free rushers, or if you have less than 1.75 seconds to throw, then what are you really learning?

I'm not sure that Mac should he gone. (It's a devil you know, devil you don't situation. Mac has clear blindspots, but a new guy might just be blind. Will have to see who's available this off-season.) Either way, lots of money and draft capital should go into fixing the o line.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I was willing to give Macagnan a pass thinking many of the issues were coaching. After 4 games he has to be looked at too.

2015: Leo Williams only draft pick left

2016: Darron Lee is awful. Hackenburg. Can't believe he is getting paid by the Bengals. Jordan Jenkins. Decent player. Brandon Shell. Oline is bad. I think he is ok. Loc Edwards Punter. He's ok. Charon Peake special teams player ok. Not a great but serviceable.

2017: Jamal Adams seems to be a good player. Could've had Mahomes or Watson. We'll see. Marcus Maye. Played well last year. Injured the first month we'll see. Ardarius Steward could've had Chris Godwin. Hansnen not in the NFL. Leggett we'll see. Donahue not in the NFL. McGuire showed promise now injured.

2018: Darnold we'll see. Typical rookie qb bumps. Third round Shephard. Need oline could've went there. Maybe offensive weapon. We didn't. Shephard hasn't done much. Herndon. Awful second game. had a nice play called back yesterday we'll see. Nickerson Foley and Cannnon haven't done anything.

Too many question marks and not enough players that are contributing. If we look more closely if we compared who we picked and who was picked after there were better players to be had.

Fours years of draft and not enough results. We can't let Macagnan continue to pick for us. I was willing to see and after four weeks I've seen enough. He needs to go.

rinvesto, tomdeb, CotcheryFan and 2 others like this.
  4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I was saying this last night when talking to my dad. I sort of want Mac to stay, not because he has done excellent, but he is working a rebuild and it wasn't supposed to hit this year. But if the Johnson's come out and say, Mac didn't build an o-line and we fired him for that reason, I think I'd be ok with it. Now, if he stays this year and doesn't fix the O-line, offensive weapons and linebacking core, he will be gone.

5. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

I feel he doesn’t know how to build a roster. Williams was prime example , on a team full of holes we should have taken Beasley or traded back. teams would have been clamouring for Leo BUT we did not need him and have shoehorned him in losing Snacks and the balance of the slime.
    Lee is an average player but where we were I couldn’t argue the pick.
    Adams and Darnold both have upside
    Macs drafting outside of red 1 is abysmal, not one difference maker .No Oline help of substance.
    20picks and we have drafted zero impact players outside rd 1....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Mac came into a situation where he had a ton of cap room and a high pick, and more high picks to follow.

he made a ton of what look like poor picks and hired an all-time bad coach

he needs to go

NYJetsO12, tomdeb and 94Abraham like this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

MM has next year for me. Rome wasn't built in a day so next year he better focus up that OL and do whatever it takes to keep SD upright. FFS, look at how good Dak looked two years ago when he had all day in the pocket.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Everybody is salivating while waiting for next year when the cap space war chest gets raided but if it was already raided for OL help this very unpromising year there would be considerably less available in 2019. You can't have it both ways.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  9. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Mac didn't hire bowles, Woody did with consultants

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Excellent post. I have been beating this drum for 2 years. When Mike McIdiot was named Gm of the jets, he made a big speech about how he will build an O-Line with low round picks and free agents. True to form, the idiot has drafted only TWO OL in 4 drafts, and both in the 5th round. TWO offensive lineman in 28 total selections!!!! O-Line is where you play/need the most players per snap. Dumb shit McCagnan really showed his stupidity with his 2017 draft where he picked FOUR DBs and THREE receivers in the same draft and ZERO OL or DL. How the hell can he spend so much draft capitol in one draft on DBs and receivers and ignore the OL and DL? Powell and Crowell have no holes to run thru and Darnold is constantly under pressure thanks to Mike McIdiot. You hit the nail right on the head Maynard.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but one point of clarification regarding the OL that Tanny "built." He really didn't build it. Mangini was the HC, and I believe that HE is the one who finished building the OL. Tanny didn't know jack shit about player evaluation/talent/personnel. Mangini had Tanny sign and overpay both Faneca and Damien Woody. Parcells had drafted Brick and Mangold in 2000. Terry Bradway drafted Brandon Moore in 2003.

CBG and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I'm coming around more and more to this point of view, but there are several things to keep in mind. One is that the new GM will be a novice as Mac was and there will be a learning curve. We'll probably have a chance to sign an edge rusher in FA, possibly Ali Marpet and one of 2-3 RTs who could be available. Will that new GM be as good as Mac in handling FA? Will he struggle with all the money that he'll have to spend? Even more importantly, he'll only have been on the job for a couple of months prior to the draft (as Mac was in 2015) and he'll have to work with Mac's Scouting Dept., and that will put him at a severe disadvantage. With this draft being so critical, is that really what we want? Will he have any more success than Mac did in 2015? Another factor to consider is will we have the same organizational chart with both the HC and GM reporting to the owner? If so, we may not get anyone even as qualified as Mac was, especially with Woody or Chris doing the hiring. Another factor is do we really want a novice HC and GM handling this critical offseason? I could deal with a new HC, even a novice one, if Mac is still here since he has experience. The only way I'd feel comfortable going into the offseason was if Harbaugh or some other former NFL HC with a background in offense was the HC and we had a new GM, but I'd want that GM hiring the HC, not Chris or Woody Johnson.

If this season continues along its current path and Mac keeps his job, he'll know that he HAS to seriously upgrade the OL or he will surely be fired following the 2019 season. Thus, he would be really focused on fixing the OL. Would the new GM have that same focus? He might be focused on securing weapons for Sam or if we switch to a 4-3 D on getting the missing pieces there.

#12 NCJetsfan, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Tom, which OL would you have drafted in 2017? For that matter, if you were hired as the GM in 2015 what moves would you have made to build the OL?

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Either Mac has to go with Bowles at the end of the year or he gets a chance to hire his own coach for first time and we commit to him as GM going forward. I tend to believe Bowles and the CS are not doing Mac any favors.

The one thing we absolutely cannot do is fire Bowles and then fire Mac the next year and New GM has a HC forced on him again.

My preference would be to hire someone to run the whole show and then let him decide on Mac or just throw a boatload of money at Harbaugh and let him hire his own GM.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence with Macc. NC's post pretty well sums up my concerns about replacing Macc now, but the OP, ATj73, and Tomdeb make very good arguments for getting rid of him. At this point, unless there is an upgrade - meaning not a rookie candidate - out there, or if they hired a qualified Pres. of Football Ops to oversee Macc and conduct the HC search, I lean towards letting him have this offseason and draft to see if he can significantly upgrade the talent.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Part of the issue of this vision of a dominant defense being the key to winning games. They’ve drafted that way for years, a coach who had that vision was hired, but it’s never come to fruition.

If Mac can pick a coach with an offensive minded philosophy and acquire the talent to make it happen, he might be successful, but in truth, talent acquisition hasn’t exactly been a strong suit.

Starting to feel like cleaning house is the answer. Keeping people around from losing regimes keeps losers in the building. If Mac had a clear cut vision that we could all see being built, it would be one thing, but I can’t see it. Cutting vets with hefty salaries is an easy decision to make when a team isn’t winning.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Not me,,,I have seen enough not to trust this guy to assemble an entire team,,,,,,,jury is still out on Darnold but how does our 70 million dollar CB look ?

NYJetsO12, HomeoftheJets and tomdeb like this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Do any of us really know the mechanics of the collaboration between Bowles and MacCagnan? Yes, players get hired by the GM but are we to believe that the Head Coach, secondary guru that he is, had no input into the decision to hire Trumaine Johnson? Which of those two equal partners bears the most responsibility for A) getting Johnson here, and B) making him a productive player? Did MacCagnan simply go to freeagents.com and write a check or did Bowles petition him or Chris Johnson to get the deal done?

This is just the most recent and highest priced incident but I don't know enough about the inner workings regarding player personnel to determine who should stay and who should go based on hirings such as this very obvious one.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

The situation reminds me of the 1989 cowboys. Aikman was a rookie behind a terrible line. Aikman finished 1989 with a 0–11 record as a starter, completing 155 of 293 passes for 1,749 yards, 9 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. We all now how things turned out in Dallas once they put a solid line in front of him.

BomberJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Look, a good offensive line is probably the hardest unit in football to build. Gotta have all 5 competent guys or 2 or 3 REALLY good ones and the rest at least average.

Pass rush you could arguably fix with one player. RB by committee, same with WR. Defensive backfield--you can cure a lot of ills with one superstar CB.

Having said that, Mac has done an awful job here. Just watching the time Bortles had yesterday and the stark contrast to Sam being hurried on most of his drop backs, it almost made me vomit. Also had a bad clam so it could have been that.

But yeah, this has to end asap.