Our O line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dude, Mar 5, 2006.

1. The Dude

The Dude New Member

Kendall we probably be our starting center come openning day with probably Jones and Goodwin as fixtures along the line as well. We do not need to draft an o lineman until the second round at the earliest. If we draft well and pick up a player in free agency you all might be surprised by our oline.

Remember how long it took to makeover our LB corps with Jones and Lewis starters until they were eligible for social security. I feel that the same thing is going on with the oline and finally it'll be improved just like our LB corps has been improved.

2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i honestly dont believe goodwin will be a starter

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Goodwin will probably be gone. I believe he is a FA and I can't see us re-signing him. I don't think Kendall will be the center next year. I think it will either be Bentley, Mangold, or Eslinger.

4. The Dude

The Dude New Member

Kendall played center for us after Mawae got injured and to be honest I really do not know much about Goodwin and figured he was probably due. If we draft a center that player will probably start at guard before getting moved. Kendall has the experience so unless a player blows him out of the water I do not necessarily see that happening right away.

5. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

I think well sign Shaffer to play RT then Draft Mangold to play Center. Then well draft a guard to replace Kendall in a couple years.

6. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Goodwin is not starting material. If possible I would prefer to pick up Mangold with the pick we get for Abe. This leaves our only major hole at RT... where McNeill or O’Callaghan would be great picks in the 2nd.

LT Jones
    LG Kendall
    C Mangold
    RG Moore
    RT 2nd Rounder

That is a solid offensive line and is a good step in rebuilding.

7. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

We will get a 1st rounder for Abe. Theres no way hes not worth 1st round value.

8. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

And Mangold is a borderline 1st/2nd rounder. That would be a great pick.

9. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Mangold would be a great pick. He would be our franchise center.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I still don't think Adrian Jones is a blue chip LT. I would start the OL rebuilding with a stud LT rather than a C or a G, especially considering the health and/or potential age of the Jet QBs (either Pennington or a rookie, neither of which needs to looking over his left shoulder every time he fades back to pass).

11. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Then what do you do with Jones just leave him out to dry?

12. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I agree about Adrian Jiones. he is too light and not strong enough. He will be better inside where his movement ability will help greatly.

13. nightowltom

nightowltom New Member

Kendall was awful at center. It's guard or nothing. Bentley will not be available to the Jets. He already has a deal to go to Philly as soon as the free agency period is announced (which was big news to Cleveland who probably had the "Welcome Home LeCharles" banner already printed).

What makes so many here think that Mangold will still be hanging around by the time the Jets come up in the second round? He's the only real quality center in the draft and several teams need one. I just don't see him getting past the late first round. The Jets would probably have to trade up to have a realistic chance at him.

14. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

No, Jones is a career back-up he is not that good. I think we will sign Bentley as or big FA signing, draft Brick, and shift Jones temporarily to RT for the year, even though he sucked there, Jones would be servicable for the year (or possibly draft a RT in the 2nd). After that Jones would be good depth. Goodwin is not a starter. Kendall was not that great at C last year.

LT - Brick
    LG - Kendall
    C- Bentley (If he can not be signed then draft Mangold)
    RG - Moore
    RT - Jones or someone we pick-up in the 2nd round

Also we will draft a LG to learn behind Kendall for the year

#14 dabrowsk1, Mar 5, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  15. Joe Willie White Shoes

How do you leave a 4th round draft choice out to dry????? What do the Jets have invested? A few hundred thousand??? So what if a 4th round draft choice is kept on the roster for depth rather than as a starter. Nobody seems to care about not offering a pro-bowl DE like Abraham a contract and leaving him out to dry, or cutting the starting QB, or cutting the pro-bowl center, etc. But replace Adrian Jones with a better player? The Horror!!!!

16. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

We dont need to replace Adrian Jones hes a solid player who can play LT. If you just let him go it just leaves more holes to fill witch is not what we want. We want to fill every hole there is.

17. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i could unerstand this if he was 29 and had 5 yr in the league and has started many games and sucked. he started 1 season he was a very raw project. you guys gotta calm down D brick have some of you guys ready to fight.

18. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Jones? Solid? LT is the most important position on the O-Line. Protecting the blindside of the QB. I don't want solid I want a potential franschise LT. Namely Brick. You don't let Jones go he is a solid T for depth because he cen play RT and LT. But he is not a starting LT.

19. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

He did fine last year and hell only get better. It would be good to draft D Brick but if we sign Shaffer to play RT Jones will be fine as our LT you guys act like every LT has to be a stud pro bowl type player.

20. Joe Willie White Shoes

I've seen enough. He is not and never will be a top-notch NFL LT. And now is no time to experiment while the starting QB is coming off his second surgery and the back up may be a rookie franchise QB.