Our hand may be forced to take OT in round 1.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Martin&theJETS, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

If we cannot trade down, it is entirely possible that all of the following OT are taken before our 2nd round pick.

Wirfs - 1st Round
    Becton - 1st Round
    Thomas - 1st Round
    Wills - 1st Round
    Jones - 1st Round
    Cleveland - 1st Round/Early 2nd Round
    Jackson - 1st Round/Early 2nd Round.

For Wide Receivers, there seem to be many more likely options come our 2nd round pick.

Aiyuk - might be there.
    Shenault - might be there.
    Pittman - will be there.
    Claypool - will be there.
    Mims - will be there.
    Hamler - will be there.
    Reagor - will be there.
    Claypool - will be there.

It seems if we miss out on OT in the 1st round, we could easily end up with a scrub that will not be ready to start. We desperately need an OT starter out of this draft. Round 1 is the place to do it.

One of the 2nd round receivers can still contribute and its a toss up on the above WRs who will be the best. We can still end up with a quality WR, much less so than OT.

Thank you Mac for neglecting OL so so so much. Now we have to miss out on keystone studs at WR such as Lamb and Jeudy.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I agree. IMO there's only one way to avoid this. As I've said several times if Douglas re-signs Beacham, signs Peters or trades for Trent Williams, then he won't have to draft an LT who can start day one. The problem with that is it has been kicked down the road for how may years now? Brick retired following the 2015 season, but his play had slipped as early as the 2013 season. The Jets should have drafted his replacement then.

While none of these OTs are considered "can't miss" or elite, will there be any OTs in next year's draft who are even this good? One would think that with all the passing going on in college football, there would be more quality OL, but I think it's because so many of the college teams use offenses unlike an NFL defense, and they aren't being taught certain skills or have the opportunity to practice those skills. I don't think we can afford to kick this can down the road any longer.

The only thing I disagree with you about is that I think Mims will definitely go before our pick in the 2nd round (I see him going in the 1st round), and Shenault and Reagor will also probably be gone by our pick.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Walker Little, Penei Sewell, Sam Cosmi and Alex Leatherwood are possible 1st round OT prospects for 2021.

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I still think it's going to depend on how the draft shakes out.

I agree that we should go OT in the 1st round but I'm not taking Jones or Cleveland at 11 (not taking Jackson at all), that's just too rich for them IMO. Ideally, we trade back and take one of those 2 later in the 1st if the big 4 are gone by 11 but that means we get a trade partner that gives fair value for 11.

There are decent OT prospects to be had in the next few rounds. None of them are as good as the ones you just mentioned but the same argument can be made for Lamb/Jeudy and the WR's you've mentioned. Guys like Lucas Niang, Prince Tega Wanogho, and Matt Peart could be had in the 2nd/3rd round range and offer some upside.

I think we can all agree that the first 2 picks need to be OT and WR in some order, preferably OT then WR but our hand may be forced in the opposite direction depending on how the first 10 picks go.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Take jeudy/lamb ( I prefer jeudy) and trade back up with the 9ers to take a Cleveland/Jackson. ICosts us our 2nd and 3rd which only loses one pick but gives us the extra year with the more developmental tackle.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Better off trading for Trent Williams (3rd and conditional next year). Then you can do whatever the hell you want in the first two rounds.

Jeudy / Lamb - RD1 Pick
    BPA (CB, EDGE, WR, Lineman) - RD2 Pick
    Trent Williams - RD3 Pick
    BPA (CB, EDGE, WR, Lineman) - RD3 Pick

FJF, gajetsfan and LAJet like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is the take. If the Jets take Jeudy or Lamb, they can easily move up to the tail end of the first and take an OT.

Niang, Prince Tega, and Matthew Peart are all solid choices at 48 as well. The Jets can also sign Cordy Glenn or Jason Peters.

KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Cant this also be a smoke screen to mis lead teams behind us not to trade in front of us for a WR we really want?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's no way Douglas settles for a lesser talent at OT if the good guys are gone at 11. That's just not the Raven philosophy and he is guided by that philosophy.

It's more likely that he takes something like a star CB on that pick than settling for the 4th guy on his list. Obviously it's much more likely he takes a WR however the chances he will reach down his list for a OT with questions are negligible.

10. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I agree OP. a franchise QB is useless without a LT. Heck, Chuma Edoga was a 3rd round RT and already seems to be a bust. No point in hacign an O if you can't block.

I LOVE Jeudy/Lamb but we need a line. WR will always be there year after year.

11. Martin&theJETS

Good point. I don't know much about them, I forgot about Niang. Douglas could have someone on his radar that he really likes that he could end up "reaching" for. We will see what happens.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. Martin&theJETS

We don't have the cap space it seems.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If we can somehow trade back into the end of the first and grab an OL then take Lamb or Jeudy at 11.

Otherwise it has to be OL at 11.

14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

My gut tells me one of those top four OT will be there at #11 and whoever it is will be the pick unless of course JD trades down. It’ll have to be a pretty good deal for him to move especially with that one remaining OT sitting there.

I can’t see a new GM ( with common sense ) who has emphasized building within the trenches going into a new season with Fant, Edoga, and McDermott as the only OTs on the roster.....the Jets need a young, solid, high draft pick to anchor that line.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Martin&theJETS

I actually really like this Idea. But I would prefer more picks. I would do our 2nd, Avery Williams, and a swap of later round selections.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO, No way, no how JD will over reach at 11 for a developmental OT with potential. Not that high. Most likely he will strike for a WR or CB if the top 3 WRs are gone, so his strategy is very dependent on how the board falls. He is better off using a 3rd round pick on Trenton Williams and nail that position down. Jeudy or Cee with the first, another WR, OL or CB with the second, and BPA in area of need with the third. Or resign Beachum, or sign Peters like NC suggested and stay the course.
    Under no circumstances we should be forced into a lesser value pick because of need, especially with a team with so many holes.

NCJetsfan, Br4d and dawinner127 like this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not really my idea. 9ers want picks though. They aren’t in the 2nd and 3rd rounds right now so not sure they’re in to taking players.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Winters
    Williamson
    Bellamy

Winters and Bellamy alone would be around 9.5, add in Williamson and maybe a Mosley / Quincy restructure. They could make it happen.

If we don't make the trade ... as we get closer to draft day, if we can't get any of the top OT, I prefer a trade down and get Jefferson. I've been a fan of his since the beginning of the year, he might be the best receiver in this draft when its all said and done. Masterful technique and excellent hands. Some say he doesn't have the down-field speed, but if you are a great route runner you can create separation.

#18 101GangGreen101, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    FJF likes this.
  19. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

So does this mean that we will be forced to take Thomas if he's there, even though he doesn't fit our offense? Personally, I like the way all four of the top guys play, but I'm woefully ignorant about how well (or how disastrously) they will fit in our offense.

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

And whose to say the 49ers even want Williamson, he’s coming off a torn ACL.

If we’re moving up from 48 to the bottom of the 1st, it’s going to be picks for picks

FJF likes this.