Our Draft Per Cimini

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Apr 28, 2019.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Shouldn’t this be titled
    “Our draft per Cimini”?

K'OB and ConcordeChops like this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Drafting late comes with asterisks. The guys with talent and no red flags go in the 1st and 2nd.

Guys with talent and red flags go later.

There were 'safer' less talented late picks in the later rounds, but Mac seems to roll the dice. He goes with a high ceiling and hopes for the best.

Mr mittens likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Twitter told me that the Jets had a bad draft.

5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

After the first round Macsuckan goes full Enron mode thinking he's the smartest guy in the NFL. He trades down then reaches for his guy. Then he finishes the draft by taking Jags with long list injury history. He should really ban himself from making picks after the first round.

chandler, NYJetsO12, tomdeb and 3 others like this.
  6. FJF

You damn kids, always on the Twitter and the instachat and Facegram
    :mad:

NYJalltheway, 74, donkey and 2 others like this.
  7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Here’s the thing though without a 2nd rounder Cimini is saying that our first rounder is guaranteed starting while our 3rd rounds may start. Isn’t that kind of what the third round and later is? Also there’s no way Polite doesn’t see the field on 2nd and 3rd downs at a minimum.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its a general consensus that I happen to agree with. Mac's weakness as a GM is taking way too many players that have "Potential" in the early rounds. Physical talents that need "coaching" instead of taking football players. Polite has great film but does not play at his listed 250 pound weight and is a very light guy to be a full time edge. Chuma is another one with physical traits that are much better than he has shown on the field. Its pure arrogance in scouting and coaching to think your suddenly going to be the ones that get these guys to fulfill their potential when no one else has. We need to draft football players not athletes who may become football players. Taking Chuma over Yodny Cajuste just was infuriating to me. Outside of Quinnen who was a no brainer and Wesco we had a very uninspiring draft to say the least.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

At least on Twitter there is more smarter NYJ fans then there are on the TGG JMHO. What are U still doing on this board when your boy love is now the DC for the Bucs? :mad:

Jets69 likes this.
  10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Polite did fulfill his potential in college so what do you mean no one else has been able to make him fulfill? Did you see his numbers from last season?

BudJet, Ralebird, Pags2112 and 5 others like this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Polite had a very good NCAA career, but he is still just a great first step with very little in the way of hand usage and is a weakness in the run game. He's all speed and no power and his speed is not good enough to beat NFL tackles often IMO.

Chuma is really a bag of traits with poor tape. He's mobile and flexible but plays with a poor base and has poor POA power. He may be ok in stretch zone runs but he needs a lot of development to really succeed at the next level.

12. FJF

Still waiting for you to show me where I pledged my allegiance to Bowles . My guess you are still trying to prove that QE missed the whole ‘16 season though so I know it will be a while

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  13. FJF

Have to disagree about Polite. His tape shows a good football player. Not sure (doubt) the tackle will pan out.
    The corner was a bad pick
    The linebacker will probably have a nice career as a special teams guy
    Love the tight end.
    Not a franchise altering draft but I think we might look back and be happy about 2-3 starters

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not much a fan of Polite's tape myself. Very good first step and very little else. He's a big minus as a run defender and not varied enough as a pass rusher. I hope I'm wrong on him but he was one of my least favorite pass rushers I watched several games of. The Tackle was a bad pick. Wesco I really like. Everything after him was trash.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t really see how Chuma has poor tape? He was rated as the best pass blocker in the entire class and didn’t allow a sack and few hurries in his two year career as a starter.

I think he is very boom or bust but it seems like his mental make up is the problem, not his game tape. I do think he needs to get stronger but it’s not hard to believe an OL that is motivated to succeed can get stronger in an NFL strength program. The question of course is whether or not he is motivated to succeed.

b.reyes16 and Footballgod214 like this.
  16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If thats the criteria for concerns about pass rush then Allen is way more raw in terms of pass rushing moves. No doubt Polite has to work to produce at the next level but the good thing about the Quinnen pick is now teams will have to deal with our pretty good defensive line, which should give him a lot of opportunity to get to the QB.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Oh I love the Q pick. Mac is at his best when the picks require no thought what so ever, its everything after that where he's awful.

I really think Allen is on a completely different level from Polite. He actually played at his listed weight and Showed a elite first step and better bend around the edge. He is much better in coverage as well. I don't think either of them are great run defenders, but the is much more physical ability in Allen's case. Both need work on hand useage and counter moves. Polite admitted trying to add weight before the combine hurt his testing, but he would not have needed to add so much weight if he was actually playing at 250. If I had to guess, he was at least 10 pounds under that this year, if not more.

Also, for all the hollow talk of culture change both our third round picks also go completely against that narrative.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but Edoba failing a drug test means jack shit to me lol

There have been guys who failed for Adderall and majority of them have failed from Marijuana. Who cares? lol I took a lot of Adderall and smoked a lot of weed in College. Make sure he gets his shit together and hold him responsible. To cross him off your board because of a "failed drug test" is a joke, in my opinion.

Footballgod214 and horsehead like this.
  19. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Based on Mac’s history the following is the most likely outcome with this draft:

Williams being good, but having a limited impact due to the position he plays.

Neither Polite and Chuma working out due to off the field issues.

Wesco being a situational player + contributing as a blocking TE.

Cashman being a 2nd string + good special teamer who eventually gets hurt and is out of the league.

Austin not making the roster... this pick was beyond bizarre.

20. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Why is it that if the Patsies had the same draft, the writers would be calling Beli a genius and saying the character issues wouldn't be a problem for such a wonderful staff to handle? I look at this and see 2 day one starters, a TE who will probably be involved in up to 50% of the offense and potentially starting, depth at OL who could be the RT or a G of the future, a ST gunner, and a kid who is either the next Dex McDougal or has a chance to develop into a starting CB since he does have the size and speed.

Footballgod214 likes this.