Other options we could consider article

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FlaJet, Nov 24, 2015.

1. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-jets-brees-saints-article-1.2445302

The Jets desperately need a quarterback. Has anybody seen that movie over the last 40 years?

It didn’t take Ryan Fitzpatrick digging up worms with passes nosediving into the turf against the Bills or two late interceptions in the loss to the Texans to come to this conclusion: He is what he is.

What is that? He’s a journeyman quarterback good enough to start for six different teams but bad enough that none of the first five wanted to keep him.

He is what Bill Parcells calls a “hold the fort guy,” meaning someone who will keep things respectable until GM Mike Maccagnan finds a short-term fix to take over a win-now team or a long-term solution who can provide stability for the next 8-10 years. Geno Smith is a “pack your bags guy,” meaning he will not be around next season.

HOW DOES GENO SMITH STACK UP AGAINST OTHER NFL BACKUPS?

There are three intriguing offseason scenarios for the Jets that include Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford and Colin Kaepernick:

— If the Saints make him available, go get Brees. I like this scenario the best for the Jets: Trade for Brees and draft a quarterback in the first round in the 2016 draft. There could be a complete rebuild in New Orleans after the season starting with Sean Payton moving. The Saints will find a team willing to trade for Brees if he agrees to a restructured contract or they could cut him if he won’t take a salary reduction to facilitate a trade. Brees is scheduled to make $19.75 million next season in the final year of his contract. He will be 37 in January; he had a shoulder issue a few weeks ago that forced him to miss his first game due to injury since he had shoulder surgery after the 2005 season. But since coming back, he tied the NFL record with seven TD passes earlier this month against the Giants. He has 20 TDs, nine INTs and is completing 69.5%.

— Brees would be the perfect mentor if the Jets use their first-round pick on a quarterback. They will likely be picking in the middle of the round. Although there is no quarterback expected to go first overall, Cal’s Jared Goff is likely to go into the offseason evaluation process as the No. 1 prospect. Other QBs who should go in either the first or second round: Paxton Lynch (Memphis), Connor Cook (Michigan State), Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) and Cardale Jones (Ohio State). If the Jets can get the right rookie next year, or if they decide Bryce Petty has potential and he’s their QB for 2017, then Brees can play the role Kurt Warner played for Giants. Warner babysat Eli Manning for the first nine games of his rookie year until Tom Coughlin made the switch.

MYERS’ BOOK REVEALS UNTOLD STORY OF BRADY VS. MANNING

I think Brees still has plenty left and may look at the Jets as a team ready to win with him at quarterback. He can also set himself up for post-career opportunities, especially in television, by playing in New York.

Brees has become an integral part of the post-Katrina community in New Orleans and if the Saints get rid of him, it will be an unpopular move. But it might be the best football move to free up cap space.

— The Lions, who finally are playing well, certainly will have a new GM and new coach after the season, which could lead to the departure of underachieving quarterback Matthew Stafford. He has a terrific arm — he had 41 TDs in 2011 — and he’s only 27 years old. He’s making $17 million next year and $16.5 million in 2017. In the right situation, he can be a big-time player. He’s more of a long-term answer than Brees, but I wouldn’t give up the Jets first-round pick for him. I would give up second- and fifth-round picks.

— Kaepernick’s regressed last year and fell apart this season. The breakup between the Niners and Jim Harbaugh left Kaepernick without his mentor and he’s been lost without him. He was benched a couple of weeks ago and then placed on injured reserve last week. It’s a virtual certainty he will be cut or traded after the season. It was just three years ago that Kaepernick came within one play of winning the Super Bowl. He has tremendous athletic ability, a rocket arm, but has struggled transitioning from the read option to a traditional drop back passer. The Jets would have to restructure his contract, but he’s only 28 years old and would be worth giving up the same No. 2 pick the 49ers used to draft him.

The list of free agents next year is proof that rarely do valuable quarterbacks make it to the open market: Kirk Cousins (I think Washington will re-sign him) and Sam Bradford are the best of a bad bunch. Washington is expected to cut Robert Griffin III. I thought he would be a good pickup for the Jets at the trade deadline after Fitzpatrick was injured, but I would not build a team around him.

The Jets, of course, have been searching for a quarterback since Joe Willie Namath. They’ve drafted four QBs in the first round: Richard Todd, Ken O’Brien, Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington. They’ve brought in big-name veterans: Boomer Esiason, Neil O’Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Brett Favre and Michael Vick. They’ve drafted QBs after the first round: Matt Robinson, Browning Nagle, Kellen Clemens and now Petty.
    Now more than ever the NFL is a quarterback league. If a cornerback even looks at a wide receiver the wrong way, he gets called for illegal use of eyes…rather pass interference. So, the rules are set up for an elite quarterback to put up big numbers.

The problem for the Jets: They don’t have one.

2. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I agree with the fact that the Jets are desperate for a top 15 QB forget a great or even good one.

The only problem is the cap. I believe if we cut Cro and Brick we will have about 20 million next year so I doubt we take a flier on brees or even stafford. We are far from a complete team and have too many significant holes to fill in.

Oh the life of a Jets fan, could be worse, we could be Browns fans.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  3. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Woe is me. Before the Jets came into being I was a Browns fan (anti-giant fan).:(:oops:

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Those are the same names that keep getting thrown around since last year. I think our best option also happens to be the cheapest.

Nick Foles

The guy had zero chance this year. His recieving corp was Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Brian Quick, and Jared Cook. That is the sorriest collection of pass "catchers" in the league.

TNJet likes this.
  5. STARoSCREAM

I'm so sorry....

FlaJet likes this.
  6. STARoSCREAM

I still say play Geno to show the world how bad his decision making is and defnitively can release him nafter this year. If he, by SOME MIRACLE , sparks the team, then great.

Doubtful

NoodleArm, LIJetsFan and FlaJet like this.
  7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Brees working with Marshall and Decker would be fun, provided that his arm still works this time next year

8. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I used to root against the Giants and against the Yankees. Marty Glickman on the radio during the blackout years. Weird. When they went bad (Gary Wood, Norm Snead) I used to feel sorry for them. I have no pity for myself as a Jet fan, though

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Oh, I see...cut everybody else so we can pay Brees..brilliant.

10. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Bingo!! my feelings exactly. He wears my team's colors so I'll root for him every time he takes the field. I just hope we don't get to the point where Bowles feels he has to play him. LGJ

11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

My feelings as well..
    As Jet fans we were born to suffer.LOL

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. Whether his Philly season was a little flukey or not he seems like the type of guy that will flourish in the right system. I don't care what offense you run if you throw 27 TDs to 2 picks you're going to be given a starting job for a few years thereafter.

13. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Mentor schmentor - Drew Brees has probably two high-level years left, which is two more years of top-flight QB play than the Jets have seen this century.

And yeah, I _would_ cut almost everybody else so we can pay Brees (or, with less hyperbole, cut enough people so we can pay Brees). There is almost no other position on the field that you wouldn't trade production at for QB production.

I'm sick of the retreads and the maybes. Go get Brees. Trade a third round pick for him if you need to. Denver committed $100 million (!!!) to Peyton, and he gave them three really good years and a SB trip (and gave us Tebow in the bargain :)). So what if they suck now? (they don't but that's beside the point).

14. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Huh? Did I miss the part where we need to actually play Geno to show the world how bad this guy is? Just releasing him achieves the same purpose.

TNJet likes this.
  15. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Get me a vet QB that's better than Fitz and draft Goff, Lynch, or Cook and we'll have one hell of an offseason. Would be a dream scenario but there's still plenty of season left this year. I will be ready to throw in the towel on the season however if we lose to the Dolphins as bad as we did Houston.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The NFL has ruined American Football by stretching the advantage towards the passing game so much that only teams with an elite QB can compete. How long before the world gets sick of watching the same 2-3 QBs every year in the SB? Special teams? Gone. Running game? Gone.

If the only way a team can truly compete is by having a once in a decade QB, and be at the top of the draft at that moment, then 90% of fans will eventually lose interest.

17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Good point. People probably said the same thing in the 60's.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You're right, but there weren't half empty stadiums in the 60's. Raiders didn't have to pull giant tarps over the empty seats. Teams weren't changing cities every year chasing fans.

The game has changed from fan revenue to TV revenue. TV revenue is great, it helps to pay the player's salary. But ask any owner and it's butts in the seats that line their pockets.

NFL is a huge market, but cracks are starting to show. And the pussy-fication of the sport is not helping. 50% of the teams being hot garbage is not helping. Teams without a franchise QB are becoming unwatchable. If the Jets/Texans game was national, how many folks would stop in their tracks for 4 hours to watch it? Exactly.

The NFL's shift to the elite passing game has left 80% of teams out in the cold. It will catch up sooner or later.

19. STARoSCREAM

my point was more to get a definitive answer, some people still have faith in Geno. This can put all doubters to rest.

I'm not totally sold that Geno can't do what Fitz does simply because he's had some time to sit and learn. He's got the physcial tools, so maybe he got a little smarter....and maybe the boogey man lives in my closet

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You should have deleted the link about Gary Myers' book.