Opinion of Pennington's performance?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by stinkyB, Aug 12, 2006.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Unfortunately the game was not broadcast in my area, so I didn' get to watch.

You can only learn so much from the 1st preseason game, but I was wondering how Pennington's arm looked.

Did he look strong, or was he floating softballs like the beginning of last season? (Thanks Herm :mad: )

anything else of note in the game? How'd Houston look? (I think he should start over Blaylock myself)

2. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

I give it a 7/10...He handled the huddle really well, made the throws when he needed to...the only thing I didnt like was the fact that he overthrew some players, and the one with Coles I believe was Coles' fault. I liked his effort and I liked the fact that he was back on the field. His arm strength has never been great so he didnt throw lasers but he wasnt throwing like a girl either.

Both RB's were ineffective and it looks more and more that the jets need to find a replacement, there will be a new RB in town by next week sometime.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I thought he was quite workmanlike and got the job done. Making good reads with some clean short passes. Its unfair to attribute the fumble to him especially as hes been out for so long and he still had enough about him to retrieve the ball and make something out of it.
    I think the longest pass was about 11 yards (without checking).
    the overall most important thing for me was that he kept the chains moving and was in control , however I would have still liked him to have gone long at least once , but hey I'm glad hes shown us where hes at for the moment.
    The running game worries me and for me its apparent that neither RB is up to carrying the load , which will for us into passing situations.
    Tim Dwight looks to be Mr 3rd down and impressed. Cotch had a drop in the endzone and had some other nice catches. LC looked sharp too with the bulk of receptions.

The second string D has me worried because I thought that thats where we were most strong , and our 2nd D against the Bucs 2nd O just got pushed all over.
    This game if nothing has shown us exactley how far we have to go. The Chiefs will be in the same shit in 3 years with us going the other way :lol:

Game report...... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260811027

#3 gustoonarmy, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Pennington looked pretty good I would say.

Some don't agree, which I can't understand.

He threw some alot of short passes, but what do you expect from the first preseason game? He did fit a ball between 5 defenders, which was very nice to see. I believe the pass was to Tim Dwight. Chad also took a few hits and got back up. That was good to see. How anyone could be disappointed in his performance shocks me. I believe he will improve in the coming weeks too.

Blaylock didn't look too good. Houston over him would make sense.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

That was awesome. Highlight of the game for me.

6. Chadwick747

Chadwick747 New Member

Yeah, I agree with most of the posts.

You can't say Chad had a bad game at all. Wasn't stand-out either though. He came out, managed the game and did his job well by keeping control of the ball and creating long drives. That fumble I'm blaming on the o-line, Chad had no time at all.

That being said, he didn't make game-changing plays either. There was no one standout performance from Chad last night, but he was only given 1.5 quarters to do his work, so we've got a long way to go.

The running game was scary bad. We're gonna be in trouble if this is the team we're fielding to try and run the rock.

I like the scheme though. Lots of motion, confusion and players in positions you wouldn't expect them. In other words, a little more unpredictable than your other Jet teams in the past, which seemed good.

It's one preseason game though, and it's to be taken with a grain of salt.

7. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I thought Penny looked good. He was 4 of his first 5 and even though they were short passes, they seemed to have zip. Definately much better than the begining of last season when it seemed that he could not control where the ball was going. Reminded me alot of the old Chad. To me that is encouraging.

8. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

The object is to score points! TDs are more important then a wok-men-like performance! The lack of TDs has hurt CHAD for awhile. Lets hope he is just rusty because it looks like our run game is not going to be overwhelming!

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but the Jets were so close to scoring last night with the first team.

It was all you could ask for except the 2nd and 3rd Goals didn't go as planned.

If the O-line doesn't get crushed on 3rd and goal, who knows what kind of pass Penny throws.

Just a thought.

10. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

i think pennington did very well. We saw something that was not seen last year. a jets team driving down the field and eating up clock. It was just a very good blitz by TB in the red zone that forced that fumble. cant really blame pennington. i blame blaylock on that play (awful blocking job). those 3 points could have easily been 14. i was also impressed by, D'Brick (really protected his blind side well), cotchery (shows good hands and awareness, was kellen's fav target) and ellis (put some pressure on while taking double teams ALL day)

11. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

The reality is that Chad looked better in the first pre-season game this year than he did in the first regular season game last year. I slept a lot better last night... can't say the guy hasn't worked his ass off just to get to this point.

I can't even believe we're discussing the same guy as last year, and with everything that has happened, that he even has a shot. Amazing.

12. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

2 fumbles...thank you

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I had to work. missed it. I thought i'd be out in time to catch the SNY re-run,but missed that too. Sounds like Chad did ok. But he still needs to speed up his mollasses like Pocket presense. He's too damn slow making his decisions and will get hurt again.

14. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2 because of the young oline

15. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Chad Pennington looked like the usual Chad Pennington. Dink and dunk, dink and dunk, dink and dunk, resulting in a high completion percentage. But overall, it was the first preseason game and the coaches aren't going to show off the whole playbook.

16. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

The highlight of Penny for me was him and Clemens on the sidelines going over Clemens' last drive, and critiquing (sp?) it with him; teaching him the finer points of the NFL and being a QB

17. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Our young oline needs to gel before we can go deep, and also you don't expose your playbook for a preseason game

18. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Looked like......Pennington.

It's too soon to make an accurate assumption of Pennington in my opinion, and last night it was all dink / dunk. Not much to see really....

19. lightning

lightning Active Member

You should've caught it at 11am today on nfl network. (If you have it)

20. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

Actually neither fumble was the o-lines fault.

Jones rode his defender around the outside quite well. Penny's got to have better presence than that and step up in the pocket to avoid that type of rush.

The one on the goalline was Houston's fault. The Bucs brought a ton of guys and he failed to get up in time to pick up the free guy.