Only 1 QB in the last 25 years has been drafted #1 and won the Super Bowl for that same team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SOXXX2, Dec 20, 2020.

1. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning

No other QB has been drafted #1 for a team and has gone on to win a Super Bowl for that same team in the last 25+ years. So while today sucks, and obviously I would have liked to get this guy, history tells us that we probably wouldn't have won with him anyway. QBs not drafted #1 have had far more success for their teams then those drafted #1. The likely reason being is because if your team sucks, a QB isn't going to overhaul the entire franchise. Only Peyton Manning has done it recently and he only won 1 time.

The Jets need a lot more than just a QB. Im not trying to sugar-coat this either, yeah it sucks, its SOJ, but it probably would have been SOJ with Lawrence anyway.

2. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

It also took Peyton 7 years to win it.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Luck turned that franchise around in one year. That team would be heavy superbowl favorites with Luck under center today.

Vida and REVISion like this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is why I was saying Yes, Trevor is better than Sam, but will the JETS be better with Trevor or with Sam and a boat load of high draft picks?

5. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Also, I believe we would have beaten the Patriots to the final week of the season, which would have made this 10x worse.

True, but the team sucked and let him get destroyed. Also im not convinced if he was healthy, he would have won a Super Bowl by now.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There have been 11 QBs drafted first overall in the last 25 years. In a 32 team league, having one of them win the Super Bowl is actually not a knock on drafting a QB first overall, especially since they were all drafted by bad teams. Plus Lawrence is graded higher than all those prospects were, aside from Manning and Luck.

7. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

TL also nets us a GREAT coach.

REVISion and grkmanga31 like this.
  8. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Been shouting this into the wilderness all year.
    First of all we were never going 0-16 anyway. It was a ridiculous expectation.
    In fact ... we' should probably be sitting at 3-11right now at worst.

I personally could not care less about "losing" Lawrence.
    There will be 30 other teams who also don't have him.
    Good organizations are good because they know how to BUILD.

Hanging your hopes on some 19 year old kid who never played an NFL down in his life is something I'll never be on board with. You draft where you draft ... but you make sure that you have a GM and a coach who have a goddamn clue about building a winning team and a winning culture.

THAT'S how winning is done in this league.

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Tebow is available.

Pseudo Spike likes this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Great post.
    I’m tired of hearing fans hoping we can lose our way into winning.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

1000% with you. Thank you for putting in words what I couldn’t. The expectation for a tank was a nonsensical fan pipe dream.

12. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Love this!!!!

Mogriffjr, MoWilkBeast and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm happy for everyone in the Jet's organization.

14. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I'm still upset we in all reality will miss out on Trevor--but to @SOXXX2 point--we are probably winning against the Pats anyway. I think in a weird way this is less SOJ because losing on that last week against the Pats is way more painful than beating one of the better teams in the league at this point.

I'm still not sure how we won today--I think Goff is overrated for one and I have always believed that. He's a solid starter, not one of the greats and today showed that.

On the flip side, the reason we won has largely to do with young talent drafted by Douglas--an excellent sign for the future.

At this point, I'm just hoping Gase is fired. I still think that's an assumption and is not a guarantee....

15. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Great post TbT.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  16. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

As much as I've always been a proponent of trading down and accumulating draft picks, it's quite different next year. Lawrence is a once in a generation talent who will instantly make any team better. This franchise has been in an overhaul for... 51 years now. There's always a rebuild, always just a few free agents + draft picks away. The thing is Darnold is not the answer. If they do fire Gase, Darnold will have a 3rd head coach in 4 years. He might have been something coming out of college but we'll never know. This dysfunctional organization has killed whatever talent he might have had. If they keep Gase, well.... I think everyone is in agreement at this point that he's a complete clown who should not be anywhere near the NFL. I believe only a tremendous natural QB talent like Lawrence can turn this circus around, otherwise we'll continue being in the state of overhaul for many many more years.

17. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is the law of averages means the NFL is due for another #1 drafted QB to win a Super Bowl?

Congrats Jacksonville I guess :(

Brook! likes this.
  18. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Yep and im 100% sure if the Patriots have nothing to play for, Bill would throw the game intentionally. Also Adam Gase would have loved the win the last game to stick it to the Jets on the way out the door.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Cool stat! I guess Lawrence will be the 2nd QB to do in 25 years then. Good for him and the Jaguars.:(

IIMeanDeanII and Cman68 like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Gase ain't fired until Chris Johnson fires him..