OnLive MicroConsole

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by steves850, Dec 20, 2010.

1. steves850

steves850 Active Member

Interesting concept, Obviously it won't replace my PS3 figured I would see how my fellow gamers felt about this.

http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/on...390907.html?tag=contentAux;holidayProductInfo

The good: Compact size; inexpensive; easy to set up; includes cables, controller, and a free game.

The bad: Limited game library; very dependent on network speed; bundled controller feels sluggish at times.

The bottom line: As a $99 content-streaming set-top box, OnLive's MicroConsole offers an intriguing low-cost alternative to traditional living-room game consoles--if you have enough bandwidth.

If you're not familiar with the OnLive streaming game service, it's essentially cloud-based PC gaming. The original PC client allows nearly any laptop or desktop to play high-end PC games by offloading the CPU- and GPU-intensive tasks of actually running the game software to a remote render farm, then beaming the gameplay back to you as a streaming video.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Any web based gaming is going to suffer lag in my eyes. Until they build better networks. Interesting idea, but I don't see it gaining much momentum.