One Position That Should Be Moved Up In The Needs Column

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JohnnyThaJet, Nov 8, 2010.

1. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Honestly, after the first drafting a 3-4 End or 3-4 OLB ( whichever the bigger need)I think we need to draft a smart safety to really take control out there in the secondary. It seems we are always getting beat over the middle and by decent TE's in games. Now I understand getting pressure on the QB makes the DBs better but we blitz the box constantly and always get beat deep.

I do love the hard nosed play of Jim Leonard but Pool unfortunately is just not cutting it and if we cannot sign a durable and ballhawk of a safety Im not sure this defense can reach that "next level". That is why we should take the initiative and go after a safety early.

Here are some options for the draft who may be there when we are picking:

1. Deunta Williams, UNC- longshot for late second but if he is there we have to take him ( similar to the Wilson situation last year)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqssqzYQzXk&p=D01678484AF58553&playnext=1&index=36[/YOUTUBE]

2. DeAndre McDaniel, Clemson- A guy who actually may be there in the end of the second, was hyped up a ton but that has cooled down since this season. No doubt he has crazy talent but the combine will really set his draft position.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpAk11N3VkM[/YOUTUBE]

3. Dejon Gomes, Nebraska- In my opinion, booming up the charts as a top saftey candidate Gomes is a true ballhawk with great football IQ and can really smack a guy. He has become one of the most important players on the Nebraska Defensive side. Watch for him to sneak into the second round.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BHW-7rCbEg[/YOUTUBE]

Possible Free Agent Targets:
    1. Antoine Bethea, IND
    2. Tanard Jackson, TB
    3. Dawan Landry, BAL

2. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

We get beat deep because we sell out on the blitz and leave weaker DBs/LBs to cover receivers. It's ok to do it with Cro and Revis but guys like Smith, Pool, and Coleman can't match up too well with slot receivers or TEs.

I honestly think the Jets should spend every draft pick on the DL or OLB positions in the first 5 rounds unless someone falls into our lap that we absolutely can not skip out on. Don't need a QB, don't need RBs, don't need OL, don't need CB, don't need K/P. It would be nice to upgrade one of those positions but the front seven NEEDS dominant pass rushers. Guys like Pace, Harris, and Scott get to the QB but rarely without overload blitzes it seems. It doesn't help that individual DL, although playing well, don't necessitate doubling-up on passing downs since they're not much of a threat at getting to the QB.

If the Jets had a guy or two like Ngata and Demarcus Ware this defense would be legendary. Kris Jenkins gave us a dose of it sparingly but that ship has sailed I'm afraid.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You're wrong about running back and offensive line.

RB: LaDainian Tomlinson has been great so far, but he can't play forever. We'll need another between-the-tackles back to pair with Shonn Greene eventually. This doesn't mean we'll have to draft a back, but it's definitely a need.

OL: We need to find a replacement for Damien Woody ASAP. That may or may not be Vladimir Ducasse. I'm willing to bet that Vlad the Impaler will be that player, but we'll still need depth at guard. Once again, that doesn't mean we'll have to draft a player at either position, but it's still a need.

I'd love to see a ball-hawking safety taken early, but I'd stay away from someone like DeAndre McDaniel. He's been absolutely terrible in coverage this season.

In my opinion, our biggest need is game changers in the defensive front seven. 2011 is the year to grab young 3-4 defensive talent. Hopefully Rex Ryan gets more than one draft choice this year - he did a great job on John Conner. Let's just hope he gets to pick out a few defenders in the next draft.

4. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

My question is why not a Safety in the early rounds? A guy that can cause fear to throw it deep on our defense. Honestly , I feel like that could become so much more valuable then a 3-4 End early. Just my opinion of course.

Id say the way we should go is:

1. OLB
    2. Safety
    4. DE
    5. DT
    6. RB
    7. OL

Obviously this would vary if there is a better End prospect there then Safety prospect there but if not and a guy like Gomes, Williams, Or Moore is there do we pick them over players like JJ Watt, Crick, and Jordan . who do we choose? ( Just giving examples of players who could be there in the late second)

#4 JohnnyThaJet, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'd take someone like Nick Fairley or JJ Watt over just about any defensive player in 2011's draft class. Allen Bailey, Marvin Austin, and Lawrence Guy are some other linemen I'd take over a safety.

Marcel Dareus is one of my top rated players, but as of right now, there's no way he'll make it out of the top ten.

I think it's pretty obvious that I want to go after a front seven defender early. Pitt's Jabaal Sheard is a guy I've been watching closely. He gets into the backfield A LOT. Then there's Akeem Ayers, Justin Huston, and Dontay Moch (next Jerry Hughes?).

We might not have a late second rounder. It's looking like we'll be giving up a second for Antonio Cromartie and I have absolutely no problem with that trade. Cro's been awesome this year.

Shaun Ellis is the player that will have to be replaced sooner than anyone else. Why not draft a potentially elite player to groom behind him? ...a player that can anchor this front seven for the next decade.

We need to rebuild this line as fast as possible. I know it's still very good, but it won't last.

#5 Mr Electric, Nov 8, 2010
  6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I want a do-it-all safety too. But the front 7 still needs the fresh blood.

I can see the Jets doing a lot in free agency this year again, because they'll lose a lot of people worth a lot of money. They may pick up a safety or a pass rusher that way.

I prefer a drafted pass rusher. We need someone who can be around for 7+ years and can bring the pressure off the edge. The Jets still don't have a true pass rush

But I do see Fairley getting a 1st round grade. What a fuckin nightmare he's going to be.

7. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Won't we be getting Compensatory Picks if we let anyone of Edwards, Holmes, or Cromartie go at the end of the season?

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but compensatory picks are given the year after a free agent leaves. Also you only get compensatory picks if you fail to replace his production.

example: If we lose Santonio Holmes in FA, and we draft a guy, say Austin Pettis, and Holmes goes on to have a 75 reception season for 1200 yards with 7 TDs, while Pettis collects 38 receptions for 397 yards and 1 td. We are likely to get a 4th round compensatory pick. Possibly a 3rd. Either way its not until the 2012 draft.

9. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Na, I had no idea. Thanks for correcting me.

10. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

I think safety is the teams top need, I understand about the D-line needing some new talent but I have not been overly impressed with Broodney Pool this year and while I love Leonhard as far as playing close to the line of scrimmage he just looses the size battle against most TE's and WR, not his fault. I'd just think a do it all safety would make our secondary amazing especially if Cro isnt coming back

11. ........

........ Trolls

You're right. They're awarded the following season, not the same one.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

A safety would be great, but I still think we need impact players in the front 7. That's the only area of the team we're really aging

13. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

We need to get younger in the front 7. Safety would probably come after that.

14. 624

624 Banned

I know the terms haven't been released for some reason, but I remember when the trade was made initially Rex seemed confident it'd be a 3rd round pick.

He also seemed confident that Cromartie would play this well.

Hopefully it'll stay a 3rd, I'm hoping that it's some ridiculous stats he has to reach for a 2nd.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I think with Slauson playing well, Vlad the Impaler should replace Woody...maybe we can keep Woody as a backup..that would leave Hunter,Turner Woody.

We are in real need of Bigger Faster front 7 talent.

We're married to Pace, so we need a LOLB, and some nasty 3/4 DE's..I keep hoping the Ghost can become a 4/3 end for passing situations, but it's just not happening.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Thoughts on Crick, Crawford at the first two levels?

17. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

With LT around for likely another year I think we can hold off on picking up a RB next draft and worry about finding elite RB talent in the future. Plus, with this offensive line we can plug a JAG in and still be alright in the running game. We also just drafted McKnight.

The OL is probably our strongest unit and has decent depth so I'm not too concerned on picking up another OL until 2012. There's always free agency if we're desperate. Vladimir Ducasse will likely be Woody's replacement (hopefully) with Hunter and Turner being VERY competent backups.

Like I said it'd be nice if we can pick up either of the two but the need at DL/OLB FAR outweighs the need at RB/OL. With limited picks this year I think we should spend the first 3 picks on the front 7, especially considering the strength at DL this upcoming draft. As far as safety, I don't think we have the luxury of spending an early pick on one this year. Elite safeties don't just grow on trees, most of them are first round picks or early 2nd rounders - Polamalu, Reed, Dawkins, Thomas, Landry, Berry, Collins, and so on. Teams gut lucky with players like Otogwe, Wilson, and Bethea later on in the draft.. it's tough to strike gold there.

#17 Rockefella, Nov 8, 2010
  18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jared Crick has looked pretty ordinary without Suh around. I think he'll be a mid-rounder come draft time.

Jack Crawford has a shitload of potential, but we'll be a spot to draft a much more polished 34 linebacker.

19. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Are we going to get a pick for Faneca or does that not count because we cut him?

20. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Doesn't count.

A question that we should all be asking is how the NFLPA will argue the status of RFAs, because if I'm not mistaken Santonio, Braylon, and Cromartie may all end up as Restricted Free Agents after the year. That could be a serious asset for the Jets in terms of adding picks, but it all depends on the CBA.