One Big ERIC MANGINI Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by steves850, Sep 22, 2009.

1. steves850

steves850 Active Member

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i don't know how going to work is fun for these people.

it becomes about the money and job security at that point.

3. steves850

steves850 Active Member

It can't be, you get an incredible opportunity to do something fun and get paid incredibly to do it, then you get a prick like Mangina as you boss. It's an incredible catch 22.

4. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

I don't have a big problem with a coach being strict. The "rules" aren't unreasonable... maybe the fines are, but if you don't break the rules and don't act like an ass, you don't get fined.

5. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Stealing a bottle of water is human? Shit, I'm gonna go human me up my neighbor's Playstation 3.

I really have no problem with this. Lotta douchebag athletes in the NFL, and a $100 dollar fine is like a nickel in the swear jar to them.

6. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I'd be alright with Rex disciplining players for acting like juveniles. I think Mangini's demeanor is the real issue.

7. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

I agree with the point about free agents in the article. Who could possibly want to play for Mangini after hearing about such silly fines. Who does he think he is to fine players on such lucrative misdemeanors? What has he accomplished to deserve that dictatorship?

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You need credibility before you can get away with being a hardass. Mangini had some credibility with the Jets players after the first surprise season. he squandered it on Pete Kendall and a couple of other player issues in year 2 and was completely out of gas in year 3.

Joe Collier. I really think that's where he's headed, although he'll get at least one more year in Cleveland assuming they don't collapse into a 3-13 fetal heap.

9. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

If someone got fined 1700 for a bottle of water I really hate to see what he fines Stallworth for using someone as Bentley traction on his way home. It might not be worth his time to play anymore.

10. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Drinking a $3 dollar bottle of water is juvenile? I would say that the punishment outweighs the crime here.

There's a reason that agents are telling players to avoid Cleveland. You can get away with being a douche if you can coach, but when you're losing the act gets old really fast (see: Nick Saban in Miami.)

11. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Just a thought:

How much more is Cleveland going to hat Mangini after running him out of town when they realize they could have had Sancho at QB instead of a coupla journeymen and defensive role players? Bwahahaha

not logical i know, but hatred rarely is

12. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

that will be hard to pin on mangini. if the browns hadn't already commited a first round pick and a stupid contract to the qb position the browns may have been in a position to take sanchez.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the problem is the fine is outlandish. the moment anyone pays more than $3 for a $3 bottle of water, the lesson is learned. it doesn't matter whether $100 is nothing to these guys, it is more than the $3 he should have paid and the player would get the message, so $100 would have done. $50 would have done. to fine a player $1701 is simply being a dick and while it may teach a lesson, which is Mangini's agenda, it will also breed resentment, which avoiding should be a pretty important goal when your job depends on motivating and influencing players to perform and in turn make you look good.

he's an imbecile.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

the fact its 1700 and not like 1000 or 2000 makes me think that someone actually made a rule where if you steal something worth 3 dollars you pay 1700, if it's 3.5 1800 etc etc...
    Mangini is nuts and will get nowhere as a HC... he just doesn't get what being a HC is all about

PS I bet he could become a ProBowl ball boy though :p

15. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

I do get where the organization is coming from. I don't want anyone (players, coaches, press, adminstrative people) embarassing my teams name by doing a scumbag move like this. A small fine and after this incident making sure everyone knows that they are held to a different standard and they are under a microscope.

1000 dollars or whatever is a little excessive but dragging my organizations name through the mud and acting less than professional would annoy me.

16. JetBlue

not paying for a $3 bottle of water wouldn't even make the news nevertheless drag the organizations names through the mud, unless you fine the player $1700 and it becomes a story because of that.

17. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I'm not going to kill this guy for fining these guys for being human embarrassments. Abram Elam is lucky he's in the league after what he did at Notre Dame. Google it. Moreover, he makes more than enough to go buy a bottle of water.

The NFL is more wrought with criminality than any professional sport. I have to pat Mangini on the back for this one, even if he's misguided otherwise.

-X-

18. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

Little lapses grow into huge problems. Starts with integrity and from a in-house thing, I don't want my players stealing things. I wouldnt even care if it made the news or not, i want to look my people in the face and know they are honest good people.

19. JetBlue

there's a huge gap between fining a player $1701 and dissuading players from stealing. no player wants to pay $50 for a bottle of water and wouldn't risk that fine if caught, and it wouldn't reach the news. but fine a player $1700, it makes the news and becomes the story, and counter productive if you don't want that behavior to become known.

20. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Browns players file grievances against Mangini

Adam Schefter reported on ESPN Sunday NFL Countdown that 2 players have filed grievances with the NFLPA against Mangini for his disciplinary actions and 3 more are pending. Getting ugly over in Cleveland.