Oh no...RIP Dennis Byrd :(

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Oct 15, 2016.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

damn, r.i.p. dennis byrd.

NCJetsfan and King Koopa like this.
  3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Wow. RIP

4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

RIP.

King Koopa likes this.
  5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Very sad. RIP Dennis

King Koopa likes this.
  6. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

very sad news.... RIP Dennis Byrd

Cman68, NCJetsfan and King Koopa like this.
  7. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

That's devastating.

R.I.P.

8. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

After all he overcame, to lose his life to some idiot doing 88 in the wrong lane...I feel sick.

RIP

9. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

This is fucked

10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

11. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

RIP

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

RIP Dennis.

13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

So sad, I loved Dennis Byrd, one of my favorite Jets, I read his book Rise and walk, he was a incredible man.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

RIP, Dennis. A courageous man and a great Jet.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

2016 can suck it!! This news blows. There was a great pick of LT and another player walking to midfield before the Pitt AFC title game in 2010 carrying his jersey (with their backs showing). It's a little cleaner than the above pic. I can't find it and it's pissing me off. What a damn shame. R.I.P.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Terrible. Just terrible.

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Awful news.. R.I.P. #90

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...es-at-50/202e2d04-4939-4609-890a-e281b8a04f8c

Inspirational Jets DL Dennis Byrd Dies at 50
    Posted 41 minutes ago

[​IMG] Randy Lange Senior Reporter, newyorkjets.com @rlangejets

Second-Round Pick, Who Had His No. 90 Retired in 2012, Was Killed in Two-Car Collision in Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Dennis Byrd, the soft-spoken, salt-of-the-earth Oklahoman whose short career as a Jets defensive lineman and inspirational fight in overcoming a paralyzing on-field injury in 1992 led to his uniform number 90 being retired by the team in 2012, was killed this morning in a two-vehicle collision in Oklahoma. He had turned 50 last week.

Byrd was pronounced dead at the scene due to massive injuries from the collision. The Tulsa World cited an Oklahoma Highway Patrol report that said the crash occurred when a 17-year-old youth from Claremore, OK, driving a 2000 Ford Explorer north on Oklahoma Route 88 veered into the oncoming lane, striking a 2004 Hummer H2 driven by Byrd.

Byrd was the Jets' second-round selection in the 1989 NFL Draft out of Tulsa. He had no starts as a rookie backup but still compiled seven sacks. Then, lining up as the starter at the Eagle tackle position and at end in then-coordinator Pete Carroll's defense, erupted for 13 sacks in '90 and seven more in '91.

In Jets history, 27 sacks by a player at any position in his first three seasons had been bettered only twice before. DE Mark Gastineau had 33.5 sacks from 1979-81 and DE John Abraham had 27.5 sacks from 2000-02.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View Gallery | 22 Photos
    Remembering Jets Legend Dennis Byrd

But the soft-spoken yet relentless 6'5", 270-pounder's exploits on the football field came to an end on Nov. 29, 1992, when he collided with teammate Scott Mersereau as they tried to converge on Chiefs QB Dave Krieg in the pocket.

Byrd crashed into Mersereau's chest, breaking a vertebra and injuring his spine. Doctors, trainers and EMTs cut his uniform from his body and worked to save his life and get him to the hospital.

It took him almost a year, but Byrd slowly recovered from his traumatic injuries and arrived at Meadowlands Stadium on Sept. 5, 1993, where he walked unsteadily but unaided onto the field to be honored by the Jets and to thank the fans for their support at the Jets-Broncos season opener.

He returned to training camp for a visit in the late Nineties, and in early 2011 he was asked to speak to the Jets at the team hotel the night before they went out and defeated the Patriots in the AFC Divisional Round playoff game at Gillette Stadium.

Then came his uniform retirement Oct. 28, 2012, at MetLife Stadium at halftime of the Jets-Dolphins game. The week before the ceremony, he told reporters and fans his emotions.

"It's just a tremendous honor to be recognized by the Jets, to have that number retired," Byrd said. "It's meant a lot to me as a player and it means a great deal to me since I've been retired. And it's been an honor the way it's been done. I'm very excited, I'm looking forward to coming back to New York and spending the weekend there and to the ceremony."

[​IMG]

He spoke about what the number meant to him going all the way back to his Oklahoma scholastic days.

"When I was in high school, my older brother, Dan, wore No. 90, and he has always been a significant, important part of my life as a young man and as an athlete," Byrd said. "That was not a number I wore in college or in high school, but it was available with the Jets and it was a number that I wanted to wear originally as an acknowledgement to my older brother.

"Then as I wore that number and made it mine for four years playing there in New York, those things become special to a guy. They're your colors, your stripes, your number. It grows with you."

The Jets presented Byrd an award as the team's most inspirational player in 1992 after his injury and have presented the Dennis Byrd Award to the most inspirational Jet every year since then.

In the years since his football career ended, Byrd returned to his home "in the middle of nowhere" in Talala, OK, where he lived with his wife, Angela, and their four children, and he made numerous speaking and ministering engagements.

"I'm a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none," he said with a laugh. "I do enjoy doing that, and I really have loved coaching football and working with kids, talking about the lessons I've learned as an athlete and the journey as someone with a disability. Football has always been, for me, a cornerpost of strength and a way to accomplish things in life, whether it's on the field or just in maintaining a quality of life. All those lessons — dedication, perseverance, teamwork — they all dovetail nicely into living a blessed life."

RPOZ51 likes this.
  19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

That was an amazing moment, I will never forget that.

RPOZ51 and King Koopa like this.
  20. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Wanted to read Byrd's book after my father had a stroke. The last game I ever watched with him was that game against NE in the playoffs. This is final destination shit...