Offensive Big Play Potential

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by All Gas No Shake, Sep 21, 2013.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

I finally got a chance to rewarch the pats game and this offense has explosive potential ... Marty is putting these guys in a position to succeed and they are simple not executing

On the first drive, geno has Powell wide open on a go route up the sideline. If he hits him out of stride, it's a 30 yard gain. If he hits him in stride, it's a touchdown

On the second drive Stephen hill fumbles after a big gain. Explosive play that hill has to make, but upon further review geno could have made it an even bigger play ... Hill was lined up in the slot opposite talib and beats him clean to the inside. There is no help over the top and geno has a clean pocket. If he climbs the pocket one more step and let's the ball go with some air underneath, hill has a chance (granted he holds onto the ball) for a long touchdown.

On the third drive, geno misses hill wide open on second down in the red zone. On third down gates drops a catchable TD on a great pass from geno.

On the fourth drive, hill is isolated in the flat and can't be a DB for a two gain on third down.

On the fifth drive, geno throws a 30 yard bomb that would have put us at the five yard line but gates drops it.

That's four potential TDs left on the field in the first five possessions ... We've got a great offensive system in place, if these guys execute we've got a chance to score a lot of points.

2. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

The Jets offense seems to always have issues executing, we just don't have the talent to make big plays consistently.

3. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i think the jets just need some time to jel with geno, they technically didn't have a full offseason together. but yeah, i really like the system, we NEED to keep marty next year and use our new $$$ on some capable WRs

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We're basically where we were last year, with a group of under-performing play makers on offense and a QB who is misfiring fairly often given that context. The difference is the QB was a 4 year vet last year and he's a rookie now. That gives the Jets some real upside.

The lack of play makers is a real issue though. Geno could step it up right now and it wouldn't stop the receivers dropsies. It's a rebuilding season. Hopefully Geno shows us enough before it is done that the lack of talent at receiver can be addressed instead of going back to the QB again.

I expect 2015 to be the year when everything looks in sync on offense. Maybe 2014 if Geno proves out.

5. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

True but a big difference is I think MM is a massive upgrade over Sparano. Sparano has no business being an OC ever.

But to your point, yes there's not really much the Jets can do but hope and pray that Hill holds onto the ball and continues to develop. His route running has looked better he just needs to work on the YAC. I just hope MM shows more commitment to the run game. Especially this week against the bills. I really like what Ducasse is doing in the run game and as was shown in 09, a good running game can take really help a rookie QB.

Geno was terrible in the 4th quarter of the pats game but I'm hoping that's just him pressing because of the drops earlier and abandoning of the run game. He looked good in the first three quarters. Was playing very smart.

6. Br4d

Aside from Winslow I don't trust any of the play makers to make a play. Even Holmes is soft under pressure and now he's post-injury also.

When Kerley comes back the Jets have a decent play maker in the slot but if the opposing defense decides to really account for him he gets shut down also.

It's ugly. The 2011 Jets with all their problems had twice as much talent on offense as this team.

7. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

Really? I actually have the opposite opinion. I feel as though Tone is a very clutch receiver. I will always remember that big TD he had against the Pats in that playoff win, dragging his feet in the endzone. But yes the playmakers are a concern in general mainly because holmes is clearly not 100% and there is such a lack of consistency with the other receiver. II was really hoping to see Cumberland step up this season but it has not been the case.

I love Kerley though. I think if he plays last Thursday we beat the Pats. He's consistent and has a knack for getting open. I think he'll develop into Geno's favorite target. Hopefully if he gets blanketed someone else could catch the damn ball against single coverage.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I really hope I am wrong on this issue, but I am losing confidence in Geno in each passing day. The more I watch his drop backs and throwing mechanics, the more I am inclined to say 'Sit him.' I really don't see a point in starting a rookie QB that a. does not have experience in the league and b. is severely lacking in fundamentals.

2. Jets need better personnel on offense all around. I'd start with OL first and foremost, then go with RB, then finish that up with WRs and TEs - provided Geno proves he can be the long term solution. [If this fails, Jets are back to square one, with yet another rookie QB.]

3. Don't forget that Jets defense has monumental holes as well. [2x OLBs and 2x S]. Ryan had better pull another Snacks trick on LB and S. [I am sure he can, given enough time - Bart Scott was undrafted, last time I checked.]

4. All in all, I agree that this team is a work in a progress - earliest return is due at 2015.

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I thought there were to many shots down the field and not enough short passes against the Pats. Yes it was nice to see us throwing down the field but those type of big play passes will always be low completion passes which will end up in many failed drives. Against the Bucs we did the opposite using primarily short passes and not stretching the field much. I would rather see a mix of both.

One thing that may have suffered a little from not running the short passing game and getting into a rhythm was Genos poise in the pocket. Against the Bucs absent a few panics plays running backwards he was exceptional standing his ground, remaining calm. Against the Pats he left the pocket to soon a few times and held the ball to long a few times as well. Not as bad as Sanchez's panic freezes but reminiscent of them as he had a few freezes where he needed to either tuck it and run or get rid of the ball and he just stood there similar to Sanchez. Something we did not see in game 1.

But in fairness the Pats game was played with almost no prep time and in a driving rain storm. I was still very impressed with Genos performance. There were a number of really beautiful plays against the Pats particularly the Holmes 3rd down completion early. But what I would like to see is improvement against Buffalo. More calmness in the pocket, more check downs and more running with the ball. But then again as fans we will need patience with Geno as the entire season will be a learning process. He has shown quite a bit the first two weeks in term s of toughness, ability to bounce back, competitiveness, accuracy, command of the huddle, athleticism and poise. All done amazingly in a pass 1st offense with pretty awful protection. It will be great to see where he is next year with a full year under his belt. That is I bet when we will see the most improvement and get an idea if he is our QB of the future.

#9 Noam, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  10. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the crappy receivers don't fug up Smith's self confidence.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Lol @ a former Super Bowl mvp being soft under pressure.

12. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Antonio Allen is currently our leading tackler, and he was a 7th rounder. I haven't been watching him very carefully in coverage though, anyone know how he's doing?

13. Br4d

Holmes has been soft since the Eagles game in 2011. The Jets lost that game basically because Holmes let a ball go through his hands that turned into an Int and then fumbled another catch on the next drive.

Whatever the "it" thing is that makes a player clutch just kind of vanished into the mists that day and hasn't come back.

14. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

yeh i thought that was pretty funny too...

not to mention all the comeback wins he helped us secure in 2010

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1. sit him in favor of who? if you are going to throw away the season it's better to get the guy you hope to go forward with the experience. starting quinn is just putting progress on hold and i don't want to bring up simms and derail this thread

2. ol is fine. we have 2 new starters on the line and need some time to gel. for the most part though the line is the least of our problems

3. don't forget coples when looking at the olb. we could use an upgrade at 1 olb maybe but every team has a position or 2 they wish they could upgrade

4. if we are waiting for 2015 we will be looking at a new coach which may than push it back to 2016 as he gets players for his new system.

16. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

IMHO

1) We had Kerley against the Bucs so Winslow was able to get open. Against the Pats we didn't have Kerley so BB was able to take Winslow out.

2) BB AT HOME against a rook QB = confusion. Geno will be better.

3) We're home with 10 days to prepare and get healthy. I'm expecting a marked improvement on offense.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Geno is a rookie. I feel that for now we shouldn't be overanalyzing his performance. With rookie QB's you just look for progression and IMO Geno was better in week 2 than he was in week 1. I think with more games under his belt he'll be fine.

18. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Maybe I'm being a bit of a RobA, cock-eyed optimist but I really think Geno will take all of the mistakes he's made in stride and start to correct them. After all, and this cannot be said enough, he's played all of 2 real games and about 1 combined preseason game in the NFL, against a live defense, in a pro-style offense that is quite different than the one he ran at WVU.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't judge him at all, but we need to also be content to sit back and let him at least attempt to grow into the game. Clearly, it still needs to slow down for him, but he's made some beautiful throws (the 3rd down 30 yarder to Holmes comes to mind, he threw before Holmes' break and it looked like nothing was there).

Let's go Geno.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I's like to see the Spadola (?) kid today....he had one target/catch/drop on a good defensive play against the Pats, but the kid has HANDS. He's been compared to Chrebet (right or wrong, who knows). But if reliable hands is what Geno needs to up his confidence, then Tone, Kerely, Spadola, and Winslow would be a pretty good start.

20. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

That's optimistic. It isn't upside. It is an unknown. We're in the same position with Geno as a rookie as we were with Sanchez and Geno could be a bust too. He is certainly playing like he is.