Odell Beckham Jr. - Signs with Ravens

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Mar 18, 2023.

?

Should Jets sign OBJ?

1. Yes

28.2%
  2. No

66.0%
  3. Undecided

5.8%
  1. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

Could you imagine if we brought him in....and then Rodgers doesn't come here.
    Think the crap the team thought about Zach was bad last season?
    The heat will be turnt up!
    No to OBJ!

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

3. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Odell is a jerk, but, the Jets would own a pretty lethal wide receiver trio along with Garrett Wilson and Allen Lazard. If the Jets are going to get past the Chiefs they need to act fast.

Borat likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

At this point I'd be shocked if we don't end up with Odell. We just have to hope he's Rams Odell and not Giants/Browns/getting kicked off airplane Odell. I do think Saleh is the right coach for him and Rodgers will have control of the offense but you never know with Odell. I will say though... sending out Wilson, Lazard, Odell and Hardman with Rodgers making the choices and throwing the ball is a fever dream that we've had since the late 90s.

LAJet and JetFanInPA like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I have real concerns about bringing such a me-first prima donna onto a team with young talent. But I can see where this was why they got rid of Moore. And maybe OBJ has matured somewhat and is focused more on winning than headlines...it's possible. If they do get Rodgers, given their apparent friendship, and Rodgers's stature, that would probably also keep OBJ's antics in check. The final concern is his health - is he healthy and 100% able to play up to his form?

If these concerns are addressed than it makes sense to sign him, and I trust JD to have done his homework in this regard.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What I don't want is to get OBJ and then release Davis. If we thought Davis was injury prone, he's got nothing on OBJ. Imagine if OBJ is seriously hurt again or performs like he did in Cleveland or even during regular season for the Rams. It's only in the play-offs when we finally saw OBJ of old. Then he tore his ACL again. We cannot bring a guy like that without some insurance. Hardman to me is not it. Btw, Hardman was injured too last year for half the season. That insurance is Davis.

OBJ is high risk high reward guy. Between GW, OBJ, Lazard, Davis - that's incredible rotation. Hardman is #5 active guy who will return kicks and punts and will play in case of injury. With improve OLine and good TEs that we have, Rodgers will have a field day. And we are protected in case of injury. Otherwise, if we lose Davis, and OBJ is hurt again, WR core is not that great.

To summarize: bring OBJ please. And keep Davis.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if signing OBJ didn't involve releasing Davis.
    Davis or Lazard would end up playing limited snaps, and get paid too much for that.

OBJ is a high risk player physically at this point, with an attitude I don't want in locker room.
    Would rather keep Davis, and use some money towards re-signing Quinnen before that price tag keeps going up.

LAJet, tomdeb, Nyjets4eva and 2 others like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Do we really want OBJ near Garrett Wilson??

NY Jets68, stinkyB, tomdeb and 5 others like this.
  11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Why the hell are the jets still talking up OBJ? He's "lowered his asking price" to just $15M? Coming off an ACL, and the jets have plenty of WRs right now. Would be the stupidest thing Douglas did since he wasted the #2 pick on Zach Wilson!

ouchy likes this.
  12. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Nah wouldn’t be the stupidest thing since that imo, but I don’t personally like it a whole lot either. Would rather keep CD and see if he can stay healthy. Our WR room right now isn’t that bad. But if we trade CD or cut him bc of cost I wouldn’t be surprised. Then we def need another good vet

13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’d much prefer Hopkins, a true #1, but I’m sure he’s out of our price range

Not sure what OBJ’s role would be…is he a starter still? Is he healthy? Does he still have his speed after 2 ACL’s?

14. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Hell yeah. In the Superbowl Kupp made Beckham near impossible to cover. OBJ and Wilson on each side would give teams matchup nightmares. And worst case scenario he replaces Corey Davis or Mims.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

How bad is that knee? That’s my concern

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If it's not healed yet, the Jets will probably spend 8 million dollars to find out

Nyjets4eva and stinkyB like this.
  17. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

No.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The knee is definitely a concern, no doubt about it. Which is why it is a bit scary to take on him and then drop Davis. Granted Davis is no iron man either, but compared to OBJ he IS the iron man. If Davis as a part of AR deal (and I wouldn't even include him there), I can see some sense it signing OBJ and then securing AR with Davis to Pack. But, otherwise I think I would prefer Davis to OBJ if it is one or the other. Now, having both: I'd love it. Let the best men win the starting jobs, and go from there: there is never enough of good weapons.

But if it is one or the other, I like Davis. Even if you look at last 3 years of Odell compared that of Davis, Odell averaged 65, 46, 38 ypg. Davis averaged 70, 55, 41. And Odell played with some decent QBs. Davis did have Tanny 3 years ago, but last two years it was the worst QB play in NFL by a wide margin. He is also super blocker. Even with Lazard here, Davis is the best WR blocker on the team. Odell hasn't had a transformative year since 2018, when he averaged 88 ypg and was 26 years old. He is now turning 31 this year. He is coming off a year off, after his second ACL surgery on the same knee. Davis is 28, will be 29 in Jan. Had injuries too, but nothing as bad and more than 2 years younger.

We have already downgraded a bit with losing Moore and gaining Hardman. Which is OK, because we moved up to gain a premium pick high in the second round and the WR downgrade is not significant, plus Moore requested a trade and sucked last year. But I prefer not to downgrade again with OBJ over Davis. I wouldn't mind having both though, and then maybe trading Mims.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

reportedly wants 1 year $15 mill deal

thats a lot for a guy that could be damaged goods.

I will say though, in the playoffs talent usually wins out and on pure talent alone he is/was one of the best in the slot. We have to get there though, since it has been 12 years it is not a given thats for sure

LAJet likes this.