NYYankees Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by EcKo151, Oct 8, 2007.

1. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Later Joe.

ARod?
    Posada?
    Abreu?
    Rivera?
    Pettitte?

2. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I think I want Joe back for one last hurrah. It's the final year of the Stadium, lets bring him back for one last chance.

Of course, this is under the conditions that Joe Girardi be hired as the bench coach.

And I'll be honest with you, the only move I'd try to make is picking up a good, all-around first baseman. Everything else is pretty set (assuming ARod, Posada, and Rivera come back.)

3. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Rodriguez - for some reason I believe he'll be back with the Yankees next year.

Posada - will probably be back also, 3 yrs $39 mill or so

Abreu - I either want his option picked up, or for them to decline it and sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal.

Rivera - May follow Torre wherever he goes, does he have loyalty to anyone other than him? It will be painful to see him in any other uniform, but I want him back. Hopefully 3 years, $42 mill.

Pettitte - I hope he picks up his option, but again, is he loyal to the Yankees or to Torre?

Torre - Is it possible that the boss is bluffing? The players all want him back, and the fans still love him (for the most part). We'll see... Possible replacements? Girardi, Mattingly? I wouldn't mind Pena (current 3B coach), or even Bowa (1B coach).

4. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

And I for one want to keep Joba as a setup man...

I saw Wainwright this year and he just wasn't that dynamic guy like he was as a closer...

I say Joba for setup, and let him replace Mo whenever he leaves...

5. dwalsh

HELL NO! Joba has got to be a starter next year.

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

The man got gassed last night throwing 40 pitches.

I'm sorry man...His 3 pitches are lethal...Papelbon knows he's a closer...I really think Joba will be an excellent setup man, then succeed Mo.

7. dwalsh

He actually has 4 plus pitches, and you do not put a player with 4 plus pitches into the pen! As a starter, he was still hitting 97 in the 7th inning. Why don't you do some research before saying he gets gassed after 40 pitches. He became used to the pen this year, but when you train to start, he lasts longer into games.

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I agree, Joba needs to be a starter.....the rotation needs to look like so

Wang
    Pettitte
    Hughes
    Chamberlain
    Kennedy/ Free Agent acquisition

George needs to open his wallet up for some quality pitching, that INCLUDES the bullpen!

9. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

The bullpen is trash once you remove Joba...

I like him as a reliever, plain and simple...

10. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

which is why we need to go out and get some quality relievers, our starters are pretty much set

11. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

how long before we find out about torre do you think?

12. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Look, i'm pretty positive they're going to make Joba a starter...I'm just saying that I want to keep him as a setup man...

Damn this is depressing watching Torre post-game press conference...The man is beaten with emotions...

13. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

The Boss has to live up to his comments and put his foot down like he should.

My question is who replaces Torre? It has to be somebody the players respect, obviously...

What an insane offseason this is going to be.

14. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Joe's going through the eulogy of 1998 Padres series...Talking about the fans...

Man, this is truly depressing.

15. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Girardi? Mattingly?

16. dwalsh

two names i haven't heard a thing about, but I wouldn't be opposed to Bowa or Pena, they both have fire that maybe the yanks need

17. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Mattingly to me is another Joe, maybe slightly more aggressive?

Giradi is interesting...He's young, very aggressive...But can that work with players who are pretty much laid back? He's roughly the same age as some of the players...Maybe hard to earn respect?

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I agree, Joba needs to set up and ultimately close only.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I like Girardi. You have to love he has the same catcher's knowledge as Torre. Mariano will not go anywhere and when his career is over will be some sort of pitching coach.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

First off, now that it's all over, I have to come clean. I was negative a lot this year in my posts, but I wasn't actually as negative in my own head. I just did it because it seemed like the more negative I was, the more the team proved me wrong. I'm ridiculously superstitious, and I was just trying to keep the boat afloat. Honestly, I truly thought we would win the division, and win the World Series this year. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

I'm less disappointed than I probably should be. The biggest reason I wanted to win it all was to keep a "tradition" alive. When my wife and first two children were born, the Yankees won the whole thing. I was hoping for the same for my newest boy.

That said, it is the offseason, and time to talk about the future.

The pitching is going to be exciting next year. Hughes and Chamberlain will be in the rotation. I see it shake out like this:

Pettitte
    Wang
    Chamberlain
    Hughes
    Moose

By the end of the year, Kennedy will probably have a spot as Moose's replacement.

I'm actually in favor of bringing back Joe again, if it is the difference in getting Jorge and Mo to resign. While Mo is obviously not the 3-up/3-down shutdown closer anymore, he's still one of the best in the sport. You don't just replace that. In terms of Posada, anyone who doesn't believe he must come back is crazy. Who do you replace him with? He had his best year professionally in his 30s. He's able to be among the league leaders in AVG, and his defensive skills have actually improved every year, rather than regress.

ARod must return. Will he? I don't know. I'm leaning toward yes, but who knows?

I was really down on Damon earlier this year, but after the past couple months, I actually want him back as the full-time left fielder.

Matsui has to go. The guy just can't get it done anymore. He needs to take Giambi with him too. Duncan may win the DH spot, and that's fine with me.

At first, a decision on Eyechart needs to be made. Phillips and Betemit are going to occupy roster spots, so there may not be room for him. I like the guy though. I wouldn't mind seeing him return.

Abreu will be resigned. There's no reason not to.

Ah well, sports is going to suck for us Jets/Yanks fans for a while. Hopefully it'll be a short winter.