NY Rangers General Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by Losmeister, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Think about the Bruins and you’ll feel much better.

2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

No, not working.

Think about it: Boston, Tampa, and the Islanders all gone. This would have been the easiest path to the cup finals you could have asked for.

3. Dierking

The glass is half empty I see.

You have a decent point, I have a feeling the Devils could parlay this into another cup, those fucks.

But you can’t say the better team didn’t win.

4. HackettSuxTNG

Not for a second.

There are 8 teams left. Anyone but The Devils and Edmonton. Please?

5. HackettSuxTNG

Gerard Gallant 'can't believe' questions about Rangers job status (nypost.com)

Gerard Gallant was seething Wednesday about the fact his status as the Rangers’ head coach is in question after the team’s first-round elimination at the hands of the Devils.

“I’m coming in here [off of] what I think was two excellent years. We had one bad week and it cost us. If I can’t stand by my record and what I’ve done, I think there’s something wrong,” Gallant told reporters at the Rangers’ break-up day.

“Did I have a tough two weeks? Did we have a tough two weeks? Yeah. But besides that, I can’t believe I have to answer some of these questions about me getting let go or getting fired brought up by the media. Disappointing.”

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's right. Winningest coach in Rangers history through two seasons.

The Rangers need to stop with the quick fixes and make a real plan because the plan they are using now runs another 3 years or so and then they're over the hill without ever topping it.

And of course, NMC's are a double-edged sword and the Rangers are dripping with cuts all over from using them so much.

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Rangers don't look like a hockey team and that's inexcusable. Valiquette said this on The Garden Faithful podcast -- "When you're inconsistent, it means you're skilled, but you don't have a plan. That's what it means."

You know what? Valiquette is right. Players have come out and said Gallant let's players just play, which is not what this team needs. This team needs a coach, not a supervisor.

Dierking likes this.
  8. Dierking

He’s not right. Aaron Boone has a great W-L record and he’s an abysmal manager. You give any mediocrity a fucking all-star team and they’ll rack up wins.

9. HackettSuxTNG

Again, I am not in favor of firing Galant, but if it happens, I would understand.

10. NYJFOREVER

You're not in favor of firing a coach that doesn't actual coach. The guy got outcoached by Lindy fucking Ruf.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem on the Rangers right now is primarily composition not coaching although a more systemic coach might be needed at this point.

The whole team is too soft.

Name one guy in the top 9 who grinds. Mika is the closest and he's a radius defender who is very active in center ice but not a grinder on the boards.

What the Rangers needed to beat the Devils was to dump and chase effectively and the only line that does that well is the 4th line. The kids kind of have it down but have a problem finishing. The top 6 are like "dump and chase? That's for peons."

If the Rangers can't move Panarin they're going to have to seriously consider moving Fox. You cannot have a quarter of your cap in 2 perimeter players who do not complement each other. Watching the Rangers play keep away in the offensive zone without ever getting a decent scoring chance is becoming a daily occurrence.

This team was much better before they got Patrick Kane because he fits right into that perimeter game and suddenly the top 6 can't get an even strength scoring chance for their life.

No team can do that and survive in the playoffs.

12. HackettSuxTNG

I don’t disagree with this, but he also has the all-time franchise coaching record for most points in his first two seasons.

13. NYJFOREVER

Gerard Gallant’s only solution to anything is “forecheck harder”.

That’s not a coach. He doesn’t coach.

14. NYJFOREVER

He was handed a top 5 power play, a Norris defenseman, and Igor fucking Shesterkin.

There’s a reason why Gallant gets canned after 2 or 3 years. It’s because he stinks.

Not all of this series is on him though, his stars didn’t show up for 4 games out of 7. However, it is his JOB to make sure they do. A well-coached team isn’t as inconsistent as the Rangers are with this much talent.

15. NYJFOREVER

16. HackettSuxTNG

Again, I can not disagree with what you are saying, and if he were fired, I would not protest. Personally, I would give him one more year on a short leash.

I will say this: The arrogance he displayed at yesterday's press conference did him no favors.

#2416 HackettSuxTNG, May 4, 2023
    Last edited: May 4, 2023
    NYJFOREVER likes this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

Give the episode of The Garden Faithful that I linked through Spotify a listen. Valiquette is great.

18. HackettSuxTNG

You always were fond of him

19. NYJFOREVER

Being an ex-player he understands the game in a different way.

He’s the president and CEO of CSA, a hockey analytics company that sells their analytics to NHL teams.

He coaches NHL players in the side over the summer.

20. HackettSuxTNG

Lousy dresser, though.

NYJFOREVER likes this.