Now that I have had 24 hours, a few coherent thoughts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 13, 2021.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Not the result we wanted but I am not passing judgement until week 2. I truly believe that was a top 5-7 defense we just played who have spent most of their draft capital on defense, look them up. Also, the reddick signing was huge for them, that's a fast D. A few very simple thoughts here:

1. Zac Wilson: Nobody can dog this kid based on how he played. Can he improve? Sure. But he did the best he could last game. What else are you supposed to do with no run game?

2. OL. This is a 2 part issue:
    2a. For all that is being made about Mekhi Becton, it's not that he is a bad player because he's not. Right now, he's an average starter. It's that he is actually eating his way out of the league. He won't get Zac killed because he is bad, he will get him killed because he can't control his weight, flexibility, etc. and stays hurt. I don't know what his solution is. We don't HAVE to make him a LT. We just aren't good enough to. Would 100% consider him at RT if that means Fant+Moses and Chip with a TE most plays at LT. We will see how he comes back if he sticks at LT but his weight is a real issue.

2b. Right side of the OL. These are NFL journeymen. I will hold off for another week since that was such a good D but they should absolutely find a way to trade for a veteran. Maybe even Darnolds pick, idc. We have to commit to this QB now that we seem to have hit on one. GVR and McGovern are just real weak links. But, upgrading one position, AVT (LG), who was injured all pre-season won't change this OL that much. We couldn't run the ball...what the heck else are we supposed to do?

3. Joe Douglas: I hate to say it already but the seat is warm and the eyes are on him. I will not speculate on the 21 class until a few more games but 2020 is tough to swallow. Sure Mann and Hall are good but if Becton can't control himself, mixed with this Mims issue, it's a very bad draft class. Very bad.
    2020: Becton, Mims, Davis, Zuniga (cut), James Morgan, Cam Clark, Bryce Hall, Mann

Royal Tee, Br4d, Cman68 and 4 others like this.
  2. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Hard to argue with #3.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

REVISion likes this.
  3. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

1. Zach Wilson is the LITERAL least of our problems. Period.
    2. Doesn't this guy HAVE to stay under a certain weight? Isn't that like part of his contract? Or incentives? Or something? There have to be parameters to this.
    3. Joe Douglas' seat is NOT hot and it's NOT warm. Can he swing and miss on some things? Sure. But the Johnsons have said MULTIPLE times in varying contexts that he's the guy and he's going to be the guy for a while. He isn't going anywhere. He's ALSO the best we've had in years (yes, that's a very, very low bar) so he's going to be around for a while, get used to it.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Agree with this. Also not surprised about people saying hot seat after 1 game early in a rebuild. This is why they have been afraid to rebuild for 20 years.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When I first starting reading the OP it was like deja vu all over again..

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yes it’s a valid concern.

His focus has been OL and that’s obviously not where it needs to be. It probably won’t get there by next week. I’m in the crowd that thinks we should trade for a solid vet with some leadership ability. Who that is, I don’t know, but if we have the opportunity we should pull the trigger. That and a TE.

Definitely concerned for Wilson with Beli next week. I’d be concerned if the OL was playing league average but they’re not. Could get ugly.

I still think the WR will be very good by the end of the season. That’s includes Mims. Every time he’s on the field he makes some plays. Scheme him into the offense. And if the problem is he’s having trouble learning the playbook, find another way to address it, and if that doesn’t work, try another.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

My coherent perspective was said by every losing team yesterday. Its just game one in a 17 game season. I know we wanted to win but every team will have a few stinkers each year and maybe that was just one of ours, with all the youth and new system. If it continues next Sunday things will start to get alarming.

However, and this is a big however. I am upset that JD keeps going into the season with an incomplete roster and 10s of millions in cap space.

And I do mean incomplete. There's a difference between having holes and being basically incomplete at a position, like LB and center. And our lack of depth at CB, S, G, and QB is also something I'm tire of hearing excuses about. If JD wants to properly develop Zach he needs to quit sitting on our cap and sign some help. Don't think even promising QBs like Zach cant be ruined by too many starts like yesterday. The NFL is a brutal meat grinder to QBs in this situation and it can ruin just about any promising QB.

Quit waiting for next year and bring in help now. We've waited too long as it is, and most of the good help has been taken.

#7 ouchy, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    PJ4Ever and blackssmagic like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Generally agree with most of this.

JD's first draft class is looking like an utter disaster. Early returns on the last draft class are good but it's very early. By far the biggest indictment on JD has been how poor the OL is still playing despite him sinking tons of resources into it.

Are some of you now starting to understand why some of us were so up in arms regarding how JD slow-played the OL market in free agency this year?

Cman68, NYJetsO12, Borat and 2 others like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Re: #2 he came in to camp at the weight they wanted him to come in at. So if there’s a weight issue we would have known it because he wouldn’t have passed the conditioning test when camp started

Noam likes this.
  10. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

Fair. So then it's not "weight"...

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

So if the Jets stink and last year's class underperforms, we fire another GM and restart?

This is why we're in year 12 of rebuilding

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's no effective way to add veteran players to a team once the season has started. There's a reason why the NFL trade deadline is generally dead. There's too much thinking and cohesion needed for it to work and way too much to learn.

The only reasonable positions you can really add to a roster are maybe defensive lineman - edge or defensive tackles that you give a one or two gap assignments and that's it. No thinking.

Since1969, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Wouldn't it be funny if Hall ends up having the best career from the 2020 class.

14. FJF

I didn’t key in on him yesterday but the few times I saw him struggle it looked like assignment and technique.

15. FJF

Agreed, I’d still call Tampa and see what they are doing with oj Howard though. Won’t help out line problem but it could help our tight end problem

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sure starting to look that way.

17. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

First game only
    New regime
    new qb

i need to shut up so there's that LOL

#17 AndyDrums, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea but I don't see the risk/reward for either side. It's good insurance for a team destined to at least be in the NFCCG and we could deal a pick for a guy we can't retain and hits FA anyway.

19. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

I don't know anything about what Becton is supposed to weigh but he looked like he was too slow to play Tackle. I think we would move him to guard when he returns. He's no LT.

There may be a bigger problem. Saleh brought in the San Fran OLine guy right? They're known for having complicated wide-zone blocking schemes that works best with athletic linemen. Maybe the scheme is just not a good fit for this team. Maybe rookies need stability.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. FJF

The reward for us past this season is an exclusive negotiating window if he looks like a keeper. Not sure how motivated Tampa would be in moving him but as far as buried talent at a position of need, I can’t think of better one.