Notes from Pettine - last year's AFCCG and Wilk, Westerman, Strick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Aug 9, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/jets_defensive_coordinator_mik.html

I'm gunna go to the extreme - Wilkerson will be like Vilma in terms of coming in and playing without glaring flaws that rookies usually have coming into their first year. However, due to him being a 3-4 DE, rookie of the year candidacy will not be remotely possible. He's just going to come in and help this line instead of hurt it.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm excited about our defensive line. Finally some young blood to build on.

Mo Wilkerson, Sione Pouha, and Mike DeVito is a very, very good front three.

Kenrick Ellis and Marcus Dixon will be big contributors as rotational players.

David Harris' job will be a lot easier if these two draft picks come in and play well.

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I liked the part about DeVito being asked to take the rookie under his wing.

4. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

I couldnt agree more, maybe its the "homer" optimism, but wilkerson looks like the real deal, and going against brick everyday in practice cant hurt either. I think this might be the year that we get to the quarterback without having to send DBs on the blitz. If you couple that with the fact that Strickland is definitely an Upgrade from Drew Coleman in the nickel, and with cromartie having another year of experience in the system, this could turn out to be a special year for our D.

I also am hoping for Kendrick Ellis to make an impact at NT as the season progresses. This kid was a great recruit out of HS, went to SC on a schloarship, but screwed up and ended up at Hampton. Hes got a ton of potential and im looking forward to great things from him.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

You forgot Pitoitua.. I think he'll end up being a bigger contributor this year than both Ellis and Dixon. I read he looks very good and one of the coaches said how he's great insurance for Wilkerson and they expect him to contribute.

6. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

I was about to put that in my post, but didnt think of it till after i hit submit lol. But i really do agree with you, depending on how healthy Pitoitua is, he can really make an impact this season. Im sure Rex & Co took this into consideration when they "let" S. Ellis go.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

love the westerman talk.i really think he can quiet some of the "we need a pass rusher" talk

8. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

love it... jamaal could be a huge sleeper... and like you guys said, you cant forget about ropati... that was such a let down when he got injured last year i expect big things from him... its funny how such a giant can be forgotten about lol