no second-tier QB's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MeanGreen80, Apr 20, 2006.

1. MeanGreen80

MeanGreen80 New Member

If we get a QB we should only consider the top 3. Other ones are a waste of picks and space.

2. GreenMachine

You're right....A good QB is never to be had after Round 1..Especially a starter...

• 6 199 Tom Brady QB Michigan
    • 4 131 Aaron Brooks QB Virginia
    • 6 187 Matt Hasselbeck QB Boston College
    • 8 222 Trent Green QB Indiana
    • 9 227 Brad Johnson QB Florida State
    • 2 33 Brett Favre QB Southern Mississippi
    • 4 98 Rich Gannon QB Delaware
      2 38 Boomer Esiason QB Maryland

And A QB drafted in the top 5 is a Guarenteed ALL Pro...
    • 1 1 David Carr QB Fresno State
    • 1 3 Joey Harrington QB Oregon
    • 1 1 Tim Couch QB Kentucky
    • 1 3 Akili Smith QB Oregon
    • 1 2 Ryan Leaf QB Washington State
    • 1 3 Heath Shuler QB Tennessee
    • 1 2 Rick Mirer QB Notre Dame

3. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

shutup

Montana was a third round pick
    Tom Brady was a sixth round pick

they got 7 superbowl rings combined

4. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

Oh man I would have done anything for Ryan leaf over Peyton Manning! :rolleyes:

5. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Well GM did his research.

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on a QB late like round 4 if we've filled our bigger holes already.

6. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

Dude, we already have two "top three" quarterbacks on our roster......I think that alone should make your point null and void.......

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You put Charlie Whitehurst in USC's offense; he'd be Carson Palmer, even better than Leinart.

8. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaahhhhhahahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HHAHAAHHAHHAHHHAHAAAAAHAAHHA.

9. legler82

http://www.draftstock.com/site_main/component/option,com_profiles/task,view/id,15/Itemid,32/

NFL COMPARISON:

CARSON PALMER, Bengals
    Both players are big, prototypical QBs who can slide around in the pocket. Both are capable of making all the throws as well. Palmer is more accurate and a better decision maker, but Whitehurst is similar in stature and reminds me of Palmer as a junior.

Notice how he Palmer as a "Junior". Palmer was not the QB everyone knows and loves until his senior under Norm Chow. Like Whitehurst, Palmer was considered an enigma by many scouts because although he looked the part of a prototypical QB he never seemed to put it all together. Also like Palmer, Whitehurst went through many different offensive coordinators and offensive schemes in his college career. Unfortunately for him he did get the benefit of playing under Chow's coaching and scheme, playing w/ Bush, White, Byrd, Garrett, Justice, Litui and so on and so on.

10. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :up:

11. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

I heard a stat about a week ago that in the past 20 NFL Drafts only 3 of the QBs taken in the 1st round have won a SB (Aikman, Dilfer, Roethlisberger) and only one of those was a #1 overall pick (Aikman).

Usually QB gems can be found in the mid to later rounds... the Belichek/Parcells era has been pretty good at picking QBs out so let's hope Mangini can follow that suit.

12. legler82

Name: Carson Palmer
    Height: 6'5"
    Weight: 230 lbs
    Speed:4.95
    Sr: 62.9% 3,639 yards 32 TDs 10 INTs (w/ Chow)
    Jr: 58.6% 2,717 yards 13 TDs 12 INTs (w/o Chow)
    So: 54.9% 2,914 yards 16 TDs 18 INTs (w/o Chow)
    Fr: 55.3% 1,755 yards 7 TDs 6 INTs (w/o Chow)

Name: Charlie Whitehurst
    Height: 6'5"
    Weight: 226 lbs
    Speed:4.95
    Sr: 67.2% 2,474 yards 11 TDs 10 INTs (w/o Chow)
    Jr: 50.7% 2,067 yards 7 TDs 17 INTs (w/o Chow)
    So: 61.9 % 3,561 yards 21 TDs 13 INTs (w/o Chow)
    Fr: 57.5% 1,554 yards 10 TDs 6 INTs (w/o Chow)

13. DonnieIsTheKing

If you're saying that Charlie Whitehurst is Carson Palmer because of a website, that's insane. He's similar to Carson but that's what you call a "poor man's Carson Palmer" not Carson Palmer.

So in english that means that Whitehurst is in Palmer's mold but he's not as good as a prospect or player. Has potential to be a great, but at this point that's all he has - potential.

14. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

Charlie Whitehurst is a mental midget who had a breakout sophomore year and then got considerably worse in the following years.

Good arm, great size, but not the brains or heart to use them.

Whitehurst reminds me alot more of Ryan Leaf then he does Carson Palmer....

15. DonnieIsTheKing

Shit he threw 17 intos in his junior year? In college football that's beyond horrific... and it's not like Charlie Whitehurst was naked he had a pretty damn good team in Clemson.

16. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

About half of the starting QBs in this league were "second-tier QBs" when drafted, about half of all the QBs that started in the players last year were "second-tier QBs" when drafted, QB success when it comes to where they are drafted are as random as they come.

17. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Considering how much top QBs ask for, and their success rate, a second-tier QB might be a better value. IF we can save out 1st round picks and pick up OL, defense or a feature HB, it'd make whoever the new QB is have a much easier time.

I am not opposed to drafting Leinart or Young at 4, but in that scenario you are putting an awful lot on their shoulders.

If, instead, we drafted say... (just an example, not a prediction) DeAngelo Williams, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mario Williams etc, and picked up a Whitehurst or Croyle at the end of the 1st day, we would be setting up that QB for success...

I'd love Leinart or Young, but I'd prefer a lower-rated QB along with valuable players elsewhere instead...

18. Langdon15

Langdon15 New Member

I agree. Whitehurst's biggest problem is his decision making. I like alot of what I've seen from him but's he seems to make bad plays at the worst times. Now, if he gets his head on straight, he could be solid.

If the Jets did draft him in the middle rounds, I wouldn't necessarily mind, but I'd rather a few of the other QB's.

IMO, they need to take a QB somewhere in the draft; anywhere from the 3rd on, but I think there's better options than Whitehurst.

19. legler82

That's funny; prior to Palmer's senior people, those who even knew about him prior to that year, used to say a lot of the same things about him.

20. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Prior to Palmer's senior year he was terrible. He looked like the second coming of Vinny Testaverde.

The difference is Palmer PROGRESSED throughout college, while Whitehurst stagnated.

As it regards THE TOP 3, I think Brodie Croyle has a chance to be just as good as Young or Cutler. Cutler is not good by virtue of Vanderbilt sucking, and Young has tons of questions. For a team that already has big money at quarterback and multiple needs, it would more worth our while to take a guy like Croyle or Omar Jacobs later on.

-X-