No More Quick Hit Passing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ........, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

I know this will seem reactionary, but Mack and I have been discussing this for more than a year now.

I'm tired of seeing the quick hits. Ever. I like Sanchez, but he's perhaps the worst QB in the league on WR screens, no read slants, and other quick hit passing. Absolutely terrible, and it bit us again tonight. Down 10 with the ball on the 30, a chance to cut it to a 3 point deficit, and we kill our chances with that stupid, stupid pass.

Rip that shit out of the playbook. It's made me nervous for two years now to watch him spin and throw, and the results haven't improved over that time. At all.

2. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

that "snap look to your left/right quick pass" play that always get intercepted needs to be pissed on and burned from the playbook

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Absolutely agree. Sanchez is not built for this timing based "quick hit" style of offense that Shittenheimer obviously likes. And to top it off, not only is it not best for Sanchez's skillset, it's also predictable and getting jumped by every defense we play.

These swing passes to WR's like on the pick 6 tonight and the quick slants that get jumped every time are just not getting it done at all. Sanchez is at his best throwing down the field to his receivers, and he's shown that time and time again.

4. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Completely agree those short WR passes and side screens are horse shit, I've litteraly never seen us have a progressive play when that is called.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

All of Schottenheimer's routes seem to be based on timing and quick hits. It's garbage.

With a patched up, swiss cheese offensive line, timing routes aren't going to work most of the damn time and Schotty didn't adjust.

That's where he fails as a pro football coordinator.

6. mute

mute Well-Known Member

it was yet another predictable call that the defense jumped on. I dont blame Sanchez 100 percent there, especially when he got blown up on that play too.

7. ........

........ Trolls

That's what makes it even more bizarre and inexplicable. Prior to this season, we really didn't have a timing based offense...except for those plays. They were consistently our worst passing plays, and yet this season we've emphasized timing which, as you've said, has been disastrous with no line. We're not the fucking Patriots, who excel in a timing based system. It's just embarrassing to watch. I like having a short passing game, but he just can't make the quick hit passes.

8. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

The offensive coordinator and the quarterback don't fit. At all.
    I vote the OC goes. It's ridiculous how transparent his shit is.

He coaches to his own strengths, not the strengths of his players....and that's a joke.

9. ........

........ Trolls

It actually WASN'T a predictable call...until after the snap. The motion made it predictable, and Sanchez doesn't get the ball out quickly or with enough velocity to make those throws. He stands there flatfooted and the ball takes forever to get out there, which allows the defense to bite. The play design is Schotty's fault, but you can't say it's predictable pre-snap.

As far as him getting blown up, that's horseshit as an excuse. He made that toss before he felt any pressure. It was clearly a designed play.

10. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Schottenheimer is in charge of getting these guys prepared and ready to execute and let's be honest his WHOLE tenure as offensive coordinator has been the same damn thing year after year, but this year he doesn't have the run game and offensive line to bail him out.

I see a lot of these other guys coming into the league with worse skill-sets than Sanchez but they're being put into positions where they can succeed and they're being developed properly. Both Brees and Rivers struggled under Schottenheimer and blossomed under other QB-Coaches/Coordinators.

We're kind of screwed right now but it's not the end of the year and we need to bounce back from this loss and get a win. Our backs are against the wall.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Couldn't agree more. So much of this offense is about timing and precision, and that's just not Sanchez's game. It's the job of a coach to adjust to his players and maximize their abilities. Shittenheimer can not do that.

Tonight was an absolute disgrace.

12. ........

........ Trolls

Yep. He belongs with a different QB. I actually think he'd have done a better job if we had drafted Freeman, which isn't a strike on Sanchez.

13. ........

........ Trolls

Honestly, the lack of run game has a lot of Tom Moore's stamp on it. He's a great offensive mind, but he may not have been the best choice to bring in as a consultant if we were trying to play to Sanchez's strengths.

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

It must suck for Sanchez to have 80% of his WR corps overturned in a short offseason and then start running more timing based offensive plays. It must be a complete nightmare.

#14 BadgerOnLSD, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  15. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

He has a battering ram has a RB.....straight runs up the middle all night. Nothing in the form of a sweep or a pitch, anything to get him a head of steam or around the edge, at all.
    He has a 6'5" WR....anything to take advantage of that height. uhhhh....no.
    He has a WR who excels at slants and "go" routes....they worked last year (Cleveland and Detroit)....should we run them this year? uhhh....no
    We have a TE (bad game tonight) who is quick and tall....do we work on anything with him? Not the last two weeks. Not most of last season.
    It's unbelievable some of the weapons we have. Sanchez is never going to be Dan Marino, so why make it even harder on him? I don't get it at all.

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I think you may be overestimating Tom Moore's influence on the offense. The Jets quite simply can not run the ball right now.. it's not a choice, it's just the way it is.

If Moore truly had a bigger influence, I think we would see a lot of those stretch run plays that the Colts use all the time. Instead we just see the same old crap runs right into the back of the line.

17. 624

624 Banned

It must also suck for Sanchez to go through 3 centers during this as well.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I totally agree. I don't mind sprinkling it in, but Sanchez has never been accurate with those passes, and that certainly has not changed.

I do agree with Badger that changing over the offensive personnel has been problematic. Not to mention, DOWNGRADING that personnel. Plaxico and Mason might be the slowest pair of WRs in the NFL. They can't get separation. And Mason is not a downfield receiver at all. Braylon was a great down the field receiver. Holmes complemented him well.

Plaxico is slow and doesn't know his routes.

Of course, the other issue is that if we drop back to throw the ball further down the field, Sanchez will get crushed. This game against New England will be huge for him since they will be much worse defensively.

19. ........

........ Trolls

Yep. Hence why I'm only criticizing something that has been a problem dating to the start of his career. You'd think that when the passing game has enough problems, you'd run slants in which he could AT LEAST get a read instead of this turn and toss bullshit. Again, Sanchez rarely even steps into his throws on the quick hits. There's no zip on the passes, giving defenses plenty of time to adjust. And yet, Schotty keeps calling them. It's not 'predictable', it's retarded.

20. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

The counter right now would be that stuff that takes longer to develop would be a nightmare on this offensive line. Also, am I crazy or was Holmes awesome with slants last year? I don't get the complaints on that. Burress had a couple tonight, too. Or are you talking more those WR screen types? Because I've never seen one of those work.