No game ball for the defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Sep 13, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/7120/rex-no-game-ball-for-defense-this-week

That's the excellence that is demanded from this defense. Remember when other Jet coaches did this?? ....oh wait.

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

No more game balls until we can stop a TE. Also, Cromartie gets another child support payment tacked on every time he gives up a TD.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'd rather have the condition be every time he doesn't put his hands on the WR he gets kicked in his fertile nuts.

He can be unstoppable if he learns how to use his hands every snap. Not Revis caliber, but at least in the vicinity next to that realm.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This is a bunch of fucking shit to me. How can Plax get the game ball when the entire offense played like shit? If Bart can't get it, then Plax shouldn't get it either. If the defense is held to a high standard like that, same should happen to the offense too. I demand that excellence as well.

5. Jetsring2013

Jetsring2013 Banned

Rex wants to encourage new players on the offense/encourage Sanchez etc would be my guess. He's not scared to put the defense in the dog house for a week, he knows it'll make them meaner and stronger the next week. He doesn't want to break any confidence and progress the offense makes with psychological tactics.

6. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Westy should get the game ball

7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Agreed, the special teams were the star unit in this game. The offense and defense both made plays, but were wildly ineffective at times.

8. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Exactly. It's been that way since Rex got to the Jets. Keep the defence hungry, Sanchez will push the offence but he needs support from the coaches.

9. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

its like Mick said the defense is held to a much higher standard. even though Bart had a good night, he made some mistakes and had some missed tackles. Jimmy had a great game, but missed two tackles when covering a guy in the slot. Revis gave up some receptions, which granted is nothing for a normal human, but shocking to see against Revis. As a result, nobody played a great game all the way through, thus no game ball.

Offensively, they aren't nearly as good as our defense, so their standards are much lower. Thus game balls given for a not so consistent performance.

10. JetAddict

JetAddict New Member

i like the defense getting no game ball. they know they can do way better than that. defense was opportunistic but shaky

11. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I'm pretty sure I remember people saying they'd be happy if Sanchez raised his accuracy.. He was 59%, and I haven't seen any love for the guy.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ryan sent a message with no game balls to the D. One game into the season and a win at that, I am not going to whine about his coaching.

13. Big Blocker

He also had two turnovers. Nobody said "raise your accuracy but turn it over more and it's all good."

14. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Turnovers are part of the game, and Dallas looks to be a top 5 defense this season. If he turns it over 2 times vs Jacksonville and Oakland, then be concerned.

15. Big Blocker

Top five when they get their corners back. Maybe.

ANyway, back to the OP's point here. After the relief of the win and the overall number of yards given up by the D sinking in, my candidate for the main problem is not so much those long strikes to Bryant and Austin as the fact that once again the opponents' TE's ran all over the Jets.

Watching the Pats use their TE's last night, I had to wonder how are the Jets going to stop them? Not that Witten is a slouch, but at the same time it's not like Dallas is the only team that can and willl hurt the Jets with their TE's.

This has been a problem before. It looks like it is still a problem.

Is it personnel, the scheme, or some combo of both?

16. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

They stopped them pretty well in the playoff game...

You get to Brady and he crumbles. Problem solved.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Special teams got 3

18. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

The Jets weren't blitzing Brady though in the playoff game. They dropped back far more then usual into coverage. The only reason we got any sacks was because Brady was holding on to the ball for 7 seconds.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, zone coverage had him mystified. He had no idea how to attack it.

20. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

The D will bounce back this week and hold the Jags to under 200 yards total offense, but until then...

Game ball....Ronnie Bass

[​IMG]