Nick Bosa scouting report per: D. Jeremiah NFL com

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Mar 16, 2019.

1. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

What I liked: There's plenty to like about Bosa's game. Let's start with his ability to rush the passer. He has a quick get-off on the snap of the ball and can beat opponents in a variety of ways. He has the same nifty swipe move that his brother uses to torture NFL offensive tackles. He also has a nasty inside counter move to go along with impressive power to bull blockers right into the quarterback's lap. He plays with tremendous effort and has made impact plays in every big game.

[​IMG]

Against the run, he has plenty of strength to stack and hold the point of attack. He rarely exposes his chest to blockers, and that keeps him from getting stuck on blocks. He has the quickness to close from the backside and he never stops pursuing the ball-carrier. He has the size to hold up at defensive end at the next level, but he's athletic enough to stand up and play outside linebacker if needed.

Where he needs to improve: Bosa is a complete player with no glaring weaknesses. The one area where I would like to see some improvement is in misdirection or bootleg recognition. He will get fooled on occasion and give up contain. This is tough to get too upset about when you don't know what his assignment is from afar. He will also get washed out by angle blocks on occasion, but that was a rare occurrence in the three games I studied. Ohio State uses a lot of defensive linemen in its rotation, and that allows Bosa to remain fresh throughout the game. Due to some personnel losses, I imagine he will receive more snaps in the upcoming campaign. It will be interesting to see how he responds to the increased workload.

Biggest takeaway: Every opposing team tries to throw multiple blockers at Bosa throughout the game, and he still finds his way to the quarterback. It doesn't matter if he's being doubled by a tight end or chipped by a running back -- he just refuses to be blocked. He's one of the best pure pass rushers I've evaluated. I've seen guys with more size or explosiveness, but his innate feel and polished technique put him in the elite class.

Joey Bosa on younger brother Nick: 'He's an absolute monster'He reminds me of: This one is easy -- my comp for him is Joey Bosa. He looks just like his brother and even wears the same jersey number (97) for the same program. His body control, balance and hand moves are identical to Joey's. Nick might not quite have the same size (Joey was 6-5, 269 coming out of OSU and is currently listed at 280), but he's just as dominant at the collegiate level. If I were to go outside the family, I would compare him to Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence. They have a similar frame and pass-rush prowess

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

If he is there he is the pick!

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. The Jets could take Allen or trade down.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I truly think the trade down option died when Anthony Barrf backed out.

Jets have to land Bosa or Allen.

Mr mittens likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

It may have died in the Jets' minds, but imo it shouldn't. IMO we don't have to land Bosa or Allen. Brian Burns could wind up being better than either, and with the addition of a 2nd round pick, an additional 3rd and a 1st or 2nd next year, the team could easily be a lot better and a lot further along in its rebuild and filling of needs/holes passing on one or both and trading down.

NYJetsO12 and MDJets like this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

Even as a long time FSU fan I would be so pissed off if we passed on a Bosa or an Allen in order to trade down for more picks while taking Burns!

Burns is a 4-3 DE.

You all think Darron Lee at 230-235 lbs is too small for an NFL IMLB? lol just imagine a 235lb (soaken wet) Burns @ OLB within a 3-4 D... Not a freaking chance.

We may have lots of holes but we have not featured a dominant edge rusher since Abe. You don't run away from one with a trade down if either of Bosa or Allen staring you right in the face...

almbleamal, Sam Hammer and Mr mittens like this.
  7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

While it may be hard to pass on Bosa or Allen, just to think that we could have potentially 2 extra high picks is enticing and perhaps serve the Jets better in the long run, possibly landing an impact center, and a receiver (TE or WR) along with their two third round picks. They need depth and balance of good players. Bosa and Allen are indeed great players and hard to pass up.

I would prefer to trade down but it mags to be for the right price like NCJets stayed above.

8. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

After the top 5 or so players in a draft, the Jets have shown little ability to evaluate talent. Extra picks are for teams with excellent scouting departments + a willingness to gamble. You have to be honest with your abilities as a team. The Jets shouldn’t overthink it. If Bosa is there at #3, they should take him.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Burns is at 250 per the combine.

Regardless passing on Bosa is a dumbass mistake. He's a great pass rush prospect and out of the gate will be a better pass rusher then Allen. In time Allen will catch up in the pass rush department. That said I still really like what Allen brings in terms of versatility and his base pass rush moves. He will need to develop more moves.

I don't mind either also don't mind a trade down.

#9 101GangGreen101, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  10. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

i'm not too worried about Bosa playing 3-4 OLB now that the Jets have a competent DC. If the Jets are lucky enough to draft Bosa I feel confident that Williams will put him in a position to succeed. Same goes for Allen and Burns.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

On paper, trading down to get more picks this year makes sense, especially if they can recoup their #2, but that's on paper, in theory. As you point out, Macc's track record at finding talent after the 6th pick is spotty at best. As it stands right now, their biggest needs are pass rusher and OL. There are no "slam dunk" OL that are certain to work out. After Bosa and Allen, there are no pass rushers that fit that bill either. I believe that a first round pick MUST become a very good starter, if not right away, within the first year. Beyond Bosa and Allen, I don;t think there's anyone there that fits the Jets needs that meets that standard. Maybe Q. Williams, but i really hope they don't take ANOTHER DL!

I don't think they can go wrong with either Bosa or Allen, and as you said, they shouldn't overthink it.

mrjet80 likes this.
  12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d take Bosa if he’s there but find it highly unlikely he makes it past SF. If Bosa is gone my first choice would be to trade down if any reasonable offer presents itself, otherwise keep it simple and draft Allen.

amuck57 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Nick Bosa scouting report.......See Joey Bosa.

If you watch these two, they play almost the exact same game. For me, I believe Nick has a slight upside to his brother - Joey may have more moves than Nick at this point, but Nick has better speed. Once Nick learns to use his hands better, he might end up being the better Bosa. In my opinion, you're looking at a solid double-digit sacks guy, year in and year out.

I think he's snagged by SF. Williams is REALLY growing on me, the more I watch, the kid is just an incredible talent. I know everyone hates drafting a DL again, but he's special.

almbleamal likes this.
  14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

If Bosa is there, they have to pull the trigger unless absolutely blown away by an offer. Edge rush is a very important position, don't blow it.

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I respect everyone’s opinion regarding this topic but believe me - if the Jets don’t trade down and Bosa is on the board - Bosa it will be. Mac will not pass on him. Has he ever not taken the top player on the board when he’s drafted this high in the first round ?

I certainly understand why one would want the Jets to trade down . They sorely lack talent at several positions and there is no second round pick. But as CC stated there is a danger in foregoing such a premium talent in order to gain quanity - i.e. overthinking. As much faith as I have in Mac picking the right player at #3 - his drafting in the lower rounds is spotty at best. We all know this .

I say take the sure thing and just select the best talent where you can. After EDGE I imagine they will be looking at center, a #2 CB, and maybe another RB . That would be a very nice haul for this team in this draft....

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'll take that, but if I can land TE Josh Oliver in round 4, I'd have a tough time passing on him. Imagine him being paired with Herndon. Maybe I'm biased because Oliver is my sleeper TE prospect. I'd like to go Edge, C, WR, TE, CB, OL in that order if we stay at 3. With the signing of Bell, I feel that we can wait until next year to get a RB, but I can see why people want to take a RB with a mid round pick.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nobody should hate it if they stop to think how much better it will make the other Williams playing next to him.

mrjet80 likes this.
  18. mrjet80

Another TE to pair with Herndon would be ideal . The positions I listed were educated guesses. TE is a need as Leggett has yet to prove anything .

19. NCJetsfan

I disagree. If Mac isn't capable of evaluating talent after the top 5 players, then he should be fired, regardless of what he does handling the cap, trades, contracts or in FA. The draft is THE most important aspect of a GM's job. We will never build a roster just hitting on the 1st round pick and missing on most of the others. Having the Jets stay put and just take a pretty much can't miss player, just keeps Mac employed and us frustrated.

NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  20. mrjet80

You’re right . Mac should be able to evaluate talent after the top 5 on the board. That’s what he is being paid to do. Being wary of who he would select later should not be the sole reason for not wanting to see the Jets trade down .

However in this specific case , I think the Jets are better off just staying put. They have needed an EDGE rusher for what seems like an eternity . I know you prefer Allen and that’s fine . If Bosa is gone that’s who I think the Jets will wind up taking at #3 -Allen.

The chances of another team wanting to trade up have dwindled significantly anyway.

As I said earlier in this specific draft they can basically stay put at their current draft positions and get some really nice talent at needed positions . Next year ? Could be a completely different story .