NFL to ban dunking football in goalposts

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ArmandJ, Mar 25, 2014.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

[​IMG]

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Watching a 'dunk' over the crossbar was like watching a dunk on a rim without a net. And some of them were 'horizontal dunks' where the ball wasn't really flushed downward. Wasn't much to look at and I could care less that its been banned--most of them looked pretty lame anyway.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Over/under by being upset by this.

36 years 4 months.

_

joe likes this.
  4. JStokes

Joe- that wasn't a like or dislike question.

What chronological age of fan loves these types of celebrations and who does not.

Trying to figure out that cut off.

I guess there are a lot of demographics involved, but just based upon age across the population I'm thinking about 34-38 is when you start to truly turn on these type things.

_

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Couldn't care less about this rule.

They need to stop players from celebrating a five yard catch for a first down at their own 30, when their team is down by 24 in the 4th quarter. That "me me me" shit drives me crazy.

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

It is what it is. Jimmy Graham had to take it too far and ruined it for everybody. I'm not a fan of it but I'm also not a fan of having to wait forever while they fix the goalposts lol

7. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

You mean like "the Holmes Drop"? I always found that annoying when we were trailing.

8. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

The shit that drives me crazy is guys stealing opponents celebrations and using them to mock the other team. Like when guys do A-rod's belt like he isn't going to light their ass up the rest of the game

NYJalltheway likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

haha, well I'm just a little bit over, and i'm not too upset by this. couldn't care either way really.
    I'd guess your probably about right with that under over age, with the under group being a little more upset. I'd put the age at 30 years 6 months.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

wonder who is gonna be the first to violate the rule. BTW whats the penalty??

11. JStokes

Probably 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

And if my player violated the rule, I'd suspend him for a game.

Doing something unsportsmanlike is usually a heat of the moment thing. Purposefully dunking the ball would be an affront to his teammates and coaches.

_

Aewhistory likes this.
  12. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I'm always reminded of a story about Barry Sanders and his father (that's how I recall it anyway) when I read stories about these celebrations. Apparently as a young man Sanders did some sort of gaudy post-TD celebration after scoring a TD (I guess in HS?) and his father pulled him aside afterward and told him to never do that again. What Sanders's father apparently said is that you should act like you've been there before and you'll be back. I am badly paraphrasing that story but that's the gist of it.

I love that story because I feel the exact same way... these goofy celebrations aren't cool and they don't make the players look like winners. In fact, they smack of a complete lack of self-confidence. It is almost as if these folks are celebrating because they can't believe they actually did something! I don't want my players to think that way and I think that was the message Sanders Sr. was sending to Barry.

Cakes likes this.
  13. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I agree. But I can live with a TD celebration a lot more than those ordinary play celebrations.
    -The sack dance
    -The I blew up that player after a 10 yard gain.
    -The I broke up a pass that was thrown 10 yards too short even though I was cleanly beaten on the play celebration...

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I agree with these and would add the predetermined 1st down celebration like Holmes' first down drop the ball and point.

CJLang likes this.
  15. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

And the infamous KW finger wave every time the qb overthrows the wr that beat KW.

16. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Yep, you guys have hit on some great examples. Especially the CBs celebrating incomplete passes when they had little or nothing to do with stopping the play. It is just sad... they might as well be celebrating being spectators. Come to think of it, does that mean I can do some funky, gaudy, stupid celebration every time I watch a game as well? Or at least every time I watch a play go our way, right? I figure if they're celebrating they "spectatorship" then damnit so will I....

And I know exactly how I'm gonna celebrate: I'm gonna do a cartwheel down the stairs! I hope you guys will come see me in the hospital when I'm done. ;)