NFL to ban dunking football in goalposts

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ArmandJ, Mar 25, 2014.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

All over twitter today, but the NFL banned dunking the football in the goalposts during TD celebration. Seems like a petty thing to do to me, though I understand rationale.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

pretty soon the NFL will ban scoring TD's because it is unsportsmanlike to show up your opponent by defeating them.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I've been following the Jets the past three years, please explain this "touchdown" you speak of.

DMarsh6, FJF and NotSatoshiNakamoto like this.
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it's the scoring play our previous QB liked to give up to opposing defenders.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I think the rule makers have too much time on their hands.

Willie Colon will find some way to get this penalty.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This is too funny. There was literally just a special segment on this the other day on ESPN or the NFL Network extolling the virtues of the dunk.

_

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

One of Jimmy's dunks made the crossbar uneven and delayed a game I think. Either last year or the year before, I hope that's where this rule is coming from, to prevent that. Unfortunately, since the rule is using the ball as a prop, a player won't be able to finger roll or lay in the ball over the crossbar to poke fun at the rule.

Players better get their dance moves ready, becoming the only way celebrate if you want to.

Axel3419 and BeastBeach like this.
  8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Time to just go ahead and turn the game into Sarcastaball.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Bravo. The less of these silly, childish actions, the better.

I stopped being entertained by this garbage in grade school. Once in a blue moon there is a touchdown celebration that is actually interesting.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Stupid. Football is a high emotion game. You have to be able to have fun. I mean seriously, does dunking a ball over the goal post REALLY change anything? Do you REALLY think the other team feels like they are being made fun of? OF COURSE NOT. It's just players having fun and celebrating after a score. There's nothing wrong with it in the least. It doesn't delay the game because there is a replay and commercial immediately following the score most 9 times out of 10. Soon enough they'll be penalizing for spiking the ball, or simply pumping your fist after a score or smiling. Did they ban the Lambo leap yet? They need to stop being selective on what can and can't be done. Either ban it all or allow it all. Football is supposed to be entertainment. Why rob the fans of that?

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think that is why they did it though that wasn't the first time it has happened. anyone remember the 1989 game at NO where Erik McMillan dunked it and moved the goalpoast?

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Did they rule on a finger roll? What about a turn-around put back? Little jump hook? A short jump shot?

_

13. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

A complete petty move. Why not just ban all celebrations at this point? That's where it will eventually be headed anyway.

14. nyjunc

this is why the rule was passed, not b/c of taunting or anything else. Remember, the new goalposts will now be 5 feet higher which I think would make it a little more unstable unless they are changing the base of the goalpost.

[​IMG]

Axel3419 and Jets Esq. like this.
  15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

nyjunc is correct.

Actually, the dunk has technically been illegal since they instituted the rule on using props for celebrations. The prop being the goal post.

They were willing to overlook it until Graham decided to mess the goalpost up, which makes it funny that he seems to be the most upset by the rule. Tough shit for him, he fucked himself on that one.

BeastBeach likes this.
  16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

In addition, they ruled using the ball as a prop a while ago as illegal, but grandfathered in dunking because of Tony G. This is taking the dunk out of the grandfathered part and making it illegal too. Santonio Holmes got a penalty in 2011 for flapping his arms like an Eagle because he used one foot and put it on top of the football.

Going to the ground is also illegal in celebrations to celebrate, so yes this limits celebrations to dances, spikes, lambeau leap (1 person only I believe), and I believe that's it.

17. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

And if dunking on it can make it tip, that means it could also fall. If that thing falls on someone, they will die, or their leg or arm will be crushed off. Or it could kill/cripple fans who can't even run away. I'm all for this new rule change, IMO it is a safety issue, not just a "this is unprofessional" thing like using the ball as a prop.

18. nyjunc

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

As others note, dunking wasn't necessarily stupid, but clearly potentially dangerous and game-affecting. I'm all for its removal.

I personally find all of the celebrations moronic and tiresome, but I also recognize that I'm too old for anyone to care what I think.

20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I am not getting why people are bad-mouthing this latest step
    Its been proven that attempting to dunk the ball over the goal post can damage the goal post and
    disrupt and significantly delay the game.