NFL Preseason Preview - N.Y. Jets vs Atlanta Falcons

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by PMCRW, Aug 9, 2007.

1. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

The Atlanta Falcons will begin their preseason schedule minus the services of quarterback Michael Vick on Friday night, when Bobby Petrino's club travels to meet the New York Jets in the preseason opener for both squads.
    Vick has been barred from training camp while the NFL investigates his recent federal indictment stemming from charges of participating in dogfighting- related activities. The quarterback is scheduled for trial on Nov. 26th, and his return to the field remains in question.

With the team's highest-profile player on indefinite hiatus, new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino will try to get his offense untracked with Joey Harrington at the controls. Harrington, who has started 66 games in a five-year NFL career spent with the Lions and Dolphins, is expected to appear only briefly on Friday before yielding to backups Chris Redman, D.J. Shockley, and perhaps Lang Campbell.

In addition to Vick, the Falcons will be without starting running back Warrick Dunn on Friday night.

Vick is expected to miss most of the preseason due to a back injury, and will be replaced in the starting lineup by second-year man Jerious Norwood.

The homestanding Jets, meanwhile, will take to the field for the first time since a loss to the New England Patriots in an AFC Wild Card game this past January. Eric Mangini's young squad shocked the NFL world by reaching the postseason in the first place, going 10-6 and earning Mangini scores of accolades during his initial year on the job.

Jets starters should not see a wealth of time on Friday, in keeping with early preseason tradition, which means just a few snaps for quarterback Chad Pennington before backups Kellen Clemens and Marques Tuiasosopo take over.

The team's most significant offseason addition, former Bears running back Thomas Jones, should appear only briefly as well.

New York is not expected to have the services of rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis at all on Friday. Revis, the No. 14 overall pick out of Pittsburgh, is embroiled in a contract holdout which is unlikely to be resolved in time for the player to be on the field.

Revis was one of two remaining rookie holdouts as the first full week of preseason approached, with the other being top pick JaMarcus Russell of the Raiders.

The Falcons and Jets have split eight preseason meetings all-time, with Atlanta evening the series by virtue of a 20-10 victory at Giants Stadium prior to 2001.

http://www.newsobserver.com/1614/story/664051.html

Friday, 08/10/07 07:00 PM Atlanta WCBS

On Sopcast:
    http://www.sopcast.org/download/
    http://streamednfl.blogspot.com/

:breakdance:

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

D.J. Shockley impressed me in preseason last year. Watch him if you haven't seen him yet.

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I know my opinion will be cause for debate, but I wish our 1st team, especially Pennington, could play a little longer in some of these preseason games. And yeah, I know, injuries, etc., are a problem.

But there have been times recently, especially on opening day, where I've felt that Pennington still looked like he needed more reps beforehand in a real, game-like situation. He looked really rusty to me, to the point of major concern.

I know we gave him exceptionally light duty in the past two years because of his ongoing recovery, but that was then and this year is now. And I know the rusks of injury, but if I were Mangini this year, I'd be giving Penny more than a couple of token snaps in some of these games, particularly if he's getting good protection. He needs the work and the rest of the 1st team does also, if we're going to have any chance at all of beating the Patriots.

In my mind, we need to get the season "rolling" before the Patriots game, not walk into it with limited playing time and not having the timing down perfect, because this is a game in which we cannot afford to be the slightest bit "rusty." I'm tired of the "rusty" excuses in the past, we need to come out firing on all 8 cylinders.

4. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Section 227,

My guess is Mangini will go with the similar routine he did last year, which was a gradual flow into having Pennington and the first team play alsmost 3 Qtrs. of football in the last pre-season game, if I remember correctly. Not that I'll be at the games because I'd rathe have the real feel of the upper tier for September 9th. I think I may lose my cool that morning when I wake up.

5. Section 227. Row 5

I'm going to have the same problem. In fact, I may have my wife drive us to the stadium for the Pats game. It's kind of hard to drive in the fetal position.

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Will be good to see our old friend John Abraham again? j/k

That trade looks good now, doesnt it?

He has proven to be just as injury prone as he was with the Jets.

7. Section 227. Row 5

The only thing that would have made the trade better is if he had gone to the Chiefs!:beer:

8. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

Chad had the best game of his career last year, opening day in Tennesse.

9. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Should be fun to watch tomorrow, the first couple drives atleast.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, well I guess I was thinking of the opening day at Arrowhead two years ago. Between Herm's camp and so little reps in preseason, we looked like shit out there, especially Penny.

11. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, I can't wait. I'd really like to see our 1st team against theirs for as long as possible. This is always a good game for the rookies...their first taste of being at home in the Meadowlands.

12. rillo

rillo New Member

I wanna see Clemens!

13. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, Clemens and a little Brad Smith thrown in! I'm stoked!

14. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm excited to see how Clemens and Smith do at QB. Also can't wait to see Stuckey in action - he should get a good amount of time. Harris and our Guards will be other positions of interest.

SNY shows that it is replaying the game at 11PM tomorrow, but last year they said the same thing a couple of times only to show god damn billiards.

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Wow, I would not want to lose a starter in the first preseason game. I'd be upset if they play into the second quarter. I think it's more important to see the long shots, guys who can contribute, while there is still time to coach them up. For instance, I din't think there is room enough for both Stuckey and Jackson... let them get the reps so the CS can evaluate each player based on more available film, etc.

This is when the CS has to make some big decisions... like Wadsworth, Trusnik, Haynes.... not to mention guys like Bender who need the reps far more than the starters do.

16. Section 227. Row 5

They used to not show the game live at all b/c it wasn't sold out... so you had to freakin' wait until 11PM or midnight, a real PITA.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

With Time Warner in upstate NY I rarely get to see a Jets preseason game. I'm hoping that Vicks case puts this one on live. If not, I'll just have to hope SNY doesn't cheese out with the billiards again. Who the hell would ever watch billiards anyway? I'd rather wackoff with 80 grit sandpaper.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Starting to feel the adrenelin now. This time tomorrow I'll have finished work and getting ready for pre-season YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :beer:

19. Section 227. Row 5

I hear you, buddy, and you're right, of course. In a typical year this is the conventional wisdom.

But the start of the season this year is very different to me... this year in particular. I'm very concerned about that first Pats game. I think it will set the tone for the entire year (and yeah, I know one game shouldn't, and if we lose, the CS will be saying "it's only one game, put it behind you" etc.). The Pats in our house... our starters can't have any "rust." I don't want to hear that.

I'm just saying we have to hit the ground running in this first game. We can't lose this game, it's that simple. I know I'm over-reacting, but to me, this first game might as well be the first round of the playoffs, that's how much will be riding on it. The Pats can't beat us in our house in this first game, they just can't be allowed to do that. Otherwise, they're on a roll and have our number all season. But if we can reverse that, and get the win, then we set the tone for going up to their house later this fall. I see the AFC East boiling down to these two teams.

So, yeah, I see your point about bringing along the rooks, but in my mind, not at the expense of having somebody tell me "Well, Penny was a little rusty in this one because, after all, he hasn't had enough reps." Or that the offense isn't completely "jelled" either. I just won't accept that this year... don't want to hear that as an excuse. Our 1st team has to hit the ground running and already on a roll if we have any chance at all of beating these corksockers.

20. illmatic

illmatic New Member

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the 2nd teamers...having heard so much about them in the tc post and from the reporters - seeing them live will be a welcome part of the game