NFL Officiating 2021

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by jetophile, Oct 12, 2021.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I don't recall seeing anything as consistently horrible as this, in every game across the league. What kind of garbage is this?

At some point in the recent past there was talk about the referrees being made to be trained/work full-time. Bring back the replacement refs. They were actually better. I'm not even kidding around.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

At this point I don't think the NFL wants them to be better. Officiating has been very bad I would say since the lockout, which is 10 years ago. If they wanted higher quality we would've seen it by now. They must have determined they like the publicity when a game comes down to a controversial call and its all everyone talks about on monday the next week

stinkyB and Leicester Jet like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

They are certainly awful in Jets games that's for sure.

That RTP call against Q for a start, the QB still had the ball in his hand when Q hit him with a fine tackle, yet the other week they were ragging Wilson around without a fucking care in the world.

Patriot likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Boomer Esiason was talking about it on his morning show a couple weeks ago and he said he's spoken to a lot of people around the league and the overall sentiment is that it's gotten worse because there are a lot of younger or inexperienced referees due to a large scale retirement by veteran officials over the past 5-6 years (not coordinated on purpose).

They need to have each head referee with an ear piece in his ear to an official in the booth so they can tell them if they egregiously miss anything. No review or anything like that. Just if they miss something the rest of America can clearly see on a replay.

stinkyB and K'OB like this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is the perfect time for robots. Robots don't run slower to avoid tearing their stitches from hernia surgery. I mean, yeah, you have to pay a billion dollars for one, but it will be here after the human race is extinct.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You're on quite the robot kick lately, huh?

Not that I disapprove...

7. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

No publicity is bad publicity, it keeps those website clicks mounting up

stinkyB likes this.
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

At least it's good to know the refs are still protecting Br*dy while the plays are still going on

jetophile and Acad23 like this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The officiating in the Bears Packers game was pretty bad.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

It's disgusting how many calls New England still gets.

mrjet80 likes this.
  11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Best part is my buddy from home is complaining they lost the game because of a missed facemask penalty.

If missing calls were the only jets problem regarding officials.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

They did miss the facemask on Anthony Brown but whatever. They got that ticky tack holding call go their way on Connor Williams to drive the Cowboys back the first time with 3 mins left when they had a shot.

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

They finally missed a call after over 20 years for the Pats? Poor fellas…..

I had to laugh watching Lamb smile and wave at the DB after the winning score.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Getting out of hand with the taunting flags. They are grown men, let em celebrate a big play. Good grief

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

They need to get rid of this taunting penalty nonsense. I can't stand non football plays that drastically affect games.

Patriot, Acad23 and bicketybam like this.
  16. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Don't ask me what RTP is these days. I do feel once a QB leaves the pocket, he should be treated like any runner. So a penalty for hitting a QB too low in the case of Wilson does not apply because he was running outside the pocket. Had he been in the pocket and then tackled the way he was, then yes because one could argue a QB is sort of vulnerable standing in the pocket.

I have seen Mac Jones get creamed after throwing a ball many times. Yet the last game he gets a call because the defender's hands gently grazed his helmet when trying to block his pass, what a joke.

My fear is an important game is going to be decided by a RTP this year. I hope I am wrong.

ouchy likes this.
  17. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with a taunting penalty if it was called consistently. The problem is where do you draw the line because it is not black and white. Personally, I think allowing players to retaliate after a taunt would solve the problem quickly. What really kills me is receivers celebrating a 1st down when their team is getting their ass kicked.

18. K'OB

I can never understand that as a penalty, fair enough if you run-up to a guy and give him the middle finger or the wanker sign or wiping your arse with the ball as that was just crass with children present but some of these calls are sad.

On another matter in Soccer, the players will get booked for jumping into the crowd to celebrate a goal but that is an approved celebration by the NFL.

19. K'OB

or the D with a tackle when down by 35.

That fucking point after a 1st down is well past its date tbh

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The NFL's main weakness was always subjective calls. They used to be mostly holding and PI. Now with all the safety rules and sportsmanship rules their weakness has been expanded 10 fold.