NFL eases COVID restrictions

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ouchy, Dec 18, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-covid-19-protocols-194538465.html

No more testing the asyptomatic vaccinated - and any vaccinated person who is positive can still play if they have no symptoms.

So they have basically given up, except to push the vaccine, even though the vaccinated can catch and spread just like the unvaccinated.

Its probably no coincidence that this is just before playoffs. A screwed up postseason could discredit this years champ, and the league in general.

cval likes this.
  2. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

About time they wised up; I hope the NBA will soon follow. The NHL, who always does the wrong thing, is going to test everyone everyday, which is just asinine. If you are going to treat vaccinated people the same as unvaxed people, what’s the point of getting vaxed?

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They need to just let everyone play and it is what it is. There’s no avoiding any of this. 99% of the players that catch it want to play with or without it because they don’t want to lose the game check.

cval, dawinner127, ouchy and 3 others like this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Saying the vaccinated can catch and spread like the unvaccinated is like me saying I can throw the football like Justin Herbert.

Technically, I can throw a football, just like Justin Herbert, but it’s no where on this level.

Noam and Ralebird like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

While his point is over generalized and lacks context, it’s valid when it comes to spreading Covid as it pertains to the NFL. Being vaccinated obviously did not prevent these outbreaks and I’m sure there’s more to come.

There’s a lot of vague “data” out there because things are still being discovered. Which is why the NFL shouldn’t have taken such dumb hard stances on things in the summer.

#5 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    cval and ouchy like this.
  6. KingRoach

A vaccine may not have prevented an outbreak but to assume it didn’t mitigate it is foolish.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We don't have to assume. It didn't mitigate the spread. In fact, its spread 4X worse this season than last year - before the vaccine was introduced.

cval likes this.
  8. KingRoach

The protocols and the disease are both different this year; to ignore that is beyond foolish.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

In what way? That’s just a vague statement based on nothing when there are still several teams with high vaccination rates that have outbreaks.

10. KingRoach

It’s just basic logic and numbers.

If you don’t believe vaccinations reduce risk, there’s no point in going over it again

11. Jonathan_Vilma

It mitigates serious illness and probably reduces spread (although there aren’t a ton of numbers to support the latter), but it obviously wasn’t the magic bullet that the NFL was selling to the NFLPA, teams and fans given the outbreaks that have just occurred and will likely continue to occur.

NFL teams are highly vaccinated portions of the population and there’s still huge outbreaks.

That’s the point that you’re missing.

abyzmul likes this.
  12. KingRoach

I agree with everything you’re saying. There are still outbreaks. My point- to ouchy’s comment- is that the outbreaks would certainly be much worse if there were no vaccine or protocols.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

That’s based on nothing though unless you’ve run the numbers on how many were affected when there were outbreaks last year versus right now. We’ve had three games rescheduled in the same week.

If you have evidence of what you’re saying I’ll believe it.

cval likes this.
  14. KingRoach

Anti-Vaxxers don’t typically like “evidence” aka studies and research. Today isn’t the day and I’m not the guy to change your beliefs. Take care.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Ah cool. Bad assumption as usual. I’m vaccinated and think everyone should be. But I’m a realist about what the vaccine is and isn’t capable of. Give me the data on transmission and I’m happy to view. I’m being 100% genuine when I say I can’t find much (and I’ve looked) as to what the difference in transmission rate is.

I do know that the vaccine definitively prevents bad symptoms from contraction which is why I’m certainly in favor of it. But it’s not and never was a pandemic-stopper as it was billed. If you have evidence on the contrary, I’m happy to have my mind changed. Throughout your entire argument you haven’t posted a single shred of the evidence you claim to be fact though.

16. KingRoach

Ok

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The fact that there hasn't been serious and extensive studies on transmission, and that they weren't done well over a year ago, is a sure sign our entire reaction to this virus was never based on science. The science we used to guide us was a laughable farce of twisted statistics.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

So when do these restrictions come into play ? So many players just got banged with covid positives today. KC has about 8+ who just got put on the list.
    Beasley tested positive too so bc he is unvaxxed he has to wait the 10 days regardless

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah the issue is that the NFL very subjectively moves games. They should have criteria with how many players need to be on the list to move a game.

HomeoftheJets and dawinner127 like this.
  20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

So basically under the new restrictions if Tyreek or Kelce are asymptomatic they can play Sunday? (Fantasy playoff problems:D)