NFL Competition Committee and Hits on QB

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by mem_reddog, Nov 15, 2006.

1. mem_reddog

mem_reddog New Member

The NFL competition committee needs to seriously look at and change the rules for hits on qb's. They need to take the judgement calls out of the hands of the refs. The ref's are making some downright egregious calls for hits on the qb. The Jets have been a victim of these bad calls several times this season, but it is league-wide, as the jets are not the only team to be victim to these horrible calls. If the hit looks bad then some refs are calling personal fouls, even though the hit is completely legal. If a player gets a clean shot on the qb, and wraps him up and tackles him, how the hell is this a foul. These have been some of the worst calls that I have ever seen, at the very least make these calls reviewable. While they are at it, get rid of that dumb ass tuck rule.

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

They do have to fix it. QB is the most important position on the team, but you can't change the game when they get tackled hard. Protect the QB's fine, don't let it affect the game.

3. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Several years ago the NFL redid the "Roughing " penalty on kickers to reduce the severity to a 5yd add on penalty for running in to the kicker. It's time for the Competition Comittee to look at a similar rule for QB's. Otherwise put these guys (QB's) in a red shirt and let no contact be allowed.

4. baamf

baamf Active Member

All a QB has to do is jump a bit (so his feet come off the ground) while getting cleanly sacked and a flag will fly. Don't think they don't know this. Ridiculous....

5. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

i seen some nasty hits this weekend, that weren't penalized. The NFL really needs to do something about this. And while we're on the subject of "rules" there are 2 that drives me nutz.
    Taunting, DUMBEST rule ever.
    End Zone Celebrations..Come on, I honestly don't see the big deal, but I'm sure someone will highly disagree. :lol:

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I don't really care about end zone celebrations at all, but I thought Chad Johnson and Steve Smith celebrating was just stupid and I think that was what the NFL was trying to stop. I understand why taunting is in there, but they always flag for the wrong reasons. Both are stupid penalties is what I'm getting at!

7. WestKyJetsFan

WestKyJetsFan New Member

I believe the NFL rule states:

Hitting the qb above the knees and below the head is okay, unless said QB is Tom Brady, or either Manning.

Likewise, no defender may attempt to touch the ball if it is thrown towards a Colts reciever.

And...

Never, ever criticize Donovan McNabb... it's his reciever's fault... always.

8. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Excellent! :lol:

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I do.

Taunting is unsportsmanlike. It's okay in professional wrestling, but doesn't belong in real sports.

As far as end zone celebrations, it all depends. If the player uses the ball as a prop, chances are it is exceedingly ridiculous. Only simpletons are amused when Brandon Jacobs puts a ball under his shirt or when Terrell Owens uses the ball as a pillow or Steve Smith pretends he's a waiter, etc.

If a player wants to spike a ball, that's fine.
    If a player wants to do a little dance like Billy Johnson or Butch Johnson used to do, that's alright, in my book.

Now it is time for a contradiction. The only excessive end zone celebrations I like are when players taunt other players by imitating asinine dances. Examples- Terrell Owens doing the Ray Lewis dance after scoring a touchdown in the Ravens-Eagles game in 2004 and Chad Johnson doing the Shawne Merriman dance after scoring last Sunday against the Chargers.

10. FinFan4Ever

FinFan4Ever Member

Something that has really me bothered this year is the new "QB in the defenders grasp rule", which is a total judgement call. In the Bills-Fins game earlier this year, Kevin Carter had Losman in his grasp but he wasn't down and Yeremiah Bell came in and knocked the ball out and ran it in for a TD but the ref had called Losman down because even though wasn't down he was still in a defenders grasp (Carter), obviously the ref was just protecting Losman.

This past week in the Ravens-Titans game, one of the Ravens defender had Young in his grasp but the play wasn't called dead and on his was down Young flipped the ball to Scaife (sp?) and he ran it in for a TD. It really pissed me off cuz it just comes down the individuals judgement. I know they're trying to protect the QBs but they need to set some kind of standard.

11. david1023

david1023 Member

They should penalize the offense for letting the defenders hit the qb.

12. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

Here here! its like the defense is penalized for something the offense did wrong.

13. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

The penalty for the offense is supposed to be that their QB got put on his ass...

Stupid, stupid rules.

14. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Do you try to come off as a high and mighty ass or does it come naturally with all of your posts?

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It comes as naturally as you being a jerk and picking fights with people who previously had no problem with you.

#15 Cakes, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  16. mem_reddog

mem_reddog New Member

Well there have several more bad calls for hits on the qb in recent weeks. This absolutely has to be addressed in the offseason. This is utter and total bs. I mean you look at the hit on Peyton Manning where one guy has him by the legs and another guy comes along and tries to rip his head off, and there is no call, and noone on the planet would have had a problem with the ref flagging that incident. And then you see another game where a player gets a clean hit with no helmet to helmet contact, and the ref is throwing a flag. I don't understand this crap. The calls are inconsistent and if they are not going to change the rule then at least make it reviewable. Because it is obvious to everyone at the game on the replay on the Jumbo screen and it is obvious to the viewers at home when they see the replay, whether it is a bad call or not, and the refs should get to see their screw ups too and give them a chance to correct it. This sh*t is driving me crazy.